Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Basically, I'm trying to get the input of people from each of the 12 states around the Midwest about what they think of high speed rail and how it would benefit them. It seems that for Minneapolis, there would be quick connections to Milwaukee, Chicago, Des Moines, Omaha, and Kansas City. Is high speed rail worth the investment, and how do you see it impacting Minnesota? I've already taken this thread to Iowa, Missouri, and Illinois. I'm eager to hear the opinions of Minnesotans. Speak and let your thoughts be heard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 AM

137 posts, read 612,064 times
The problem with this issue is everyone thinks it is a great idea, but amtrak vs airline numbers prove otherwise. When was the last time you took Amtrak? Ever?

Personally, I think our rail infrastructure is so far gone that it likely is not worth the investment. The sociotechnical change required to push rail travel over automobile and air would be massive.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
The problem with this issue is everyone thinks it is a great idea, but amtrak vs airline numbers prove otherwise. When was the last time you took Amtrak? Ever?

Personally, I think our rail infrastructure is so far gone that it likely is not worth the investment. The sociotechnical change required to push rail travel over automobile and air would be massive.
I think it is a convenience factor more than anything. We've looked into the train for our kids to take to/from college. There is one train/day and with stops/lay-overs, it's 12+ hours or they could drive it in 7 1/2 hours, or fly, even with getting to the airport early and driving to/from both airports, etc. is under 4 hours. The train also has a horrible record for being on time.

The D of some friends has been taking the train to/from her college but in her case, she doesn't have to connect anywhere. The drive for her is about 10 hours, the train is 12 so in that case, it's easier.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post

Amtrak is slow and expensive. Unless you want to try something new, why would you ever take it? You can fly, drive, or take the bus in a quicker time for fewer dollars. That's going to make the train a tough sell.

I'm going to Chicago this May with a few friends and we looked at all the different costs. We removed the bus as an option because it takes longer than driving and with the number of people we have, the price differential isn't much different. But even because of our short trip, we've decided to skip the driving and tolls of Chicago. Instead, we're flying. Why? Because round-trip costs will come in at least than $100 for each of us and it'll save it hours worth of time.

Now if you could get the train from Minneapolis to Chicago in 4 hours, I think you could easily sell the trip. I know I'd take the train. You don't have the same security hassles and normal train seating (at least on Amtrak at the moment) is more akin to airline first class.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
This came out of the French/German Study a few years ago....very reasonable...travel times.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
I'd love me some under 3 hour travel to Chicago without the air travel hassle.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
I can't see a bullet train running in the United States for quite a while. And even when one does run, it certainly won't be from Chicago. It would likely be an upgrade of Acela for the Northeast Corridor or something in California that they fund themselves.

And if Wisconsin keeps voting the way they did for the governor and the subsequent recall election, then I don't know if we'll ever see high-speed rail in our lifetimes.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM

238 posts, read 590,222 times
the demand is not there to make it even close to being feasible $$$$$$$$$$$ !

Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Funny how the Asians just jump into this stuff, no questions asked. Meanwhile here in the world's leading economy, its hem and haw and do nothing.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
the demand is not there to make it even close to being feasible $$$$$$$$$$$ !
The Whole Midwestern Network will cost 80 billion $$ , but generate 4-5 Billion in Revenue a year... Which is what most systems overseas generate.... Theres also the projected 700-1.5 Trillion in Economic growth due to the network....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota