Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 8,512 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to the St. Cloud/Sauk Rapids area in August and I would like to find out more about the areas we are looking to move.
We've decided to send our kids to Sauk Rapids high School and are thinking of living in Sauk Rapids or close to it.
It has proven difficult to get information about the school and about the neighborhoods.
So I thought who better to ask then people who live there!

For the school we'd just like to know a couple things;
1. Is it safe
2. Will our children get a good education
3. Are there activities for students who are not into sports.

For the areas we are looking to live, we've narrowed it down to 3 different areas/houses.
We want to live somewhere within walking/biking distance to grocery stores, the library, and downtown. And most importantly, someplace safe.

The ares we are looking at are;
1. near Wilson Park on the East side of the river
2. The area around 14th Ave and St. Germain
3. And the area around 15th and Clearwater

There are also some other houses we are looking at that are near Benton County fairgrounds and one near Clemens-Munsinger Gardens.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by macwild; 07-02-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Sauk Rapids area is fine. Sartell is considered the "best" school district in the area but Sauk is good too. I can't help with specific neighborhoods though.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,512 times
Thanks for the info. Yes we have heard about the "amazing" Sartell! Hopefully Sauk Rapids will be a good fit.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,520 times
I'm going to be a senior at Sauk Rapids High School and have gone there since freshmen year, so I may be able to answer your questions about the school.

1. It is a safe school. There is one policeman that stands in the hallways, to make sure nothing happens. In the three years I went there, nothing bad has happened. I'd say the most unsafe part about the school is all the windows. They're ascetically pleasing, unless there is a tornado. Then they're a hazard.

2. My family moved to Sauk Rapids from St. Cloud for the education. There are a variety of classes to choose from, which is good to find something you're interested in. However, if not enough people signed up for a class then the school won't have that class. Which forced me to redo my whole schedule for this year. Other than that, I think your kids will get a good education. Most of the teachers are good at teaching and try to help if you're not understating something. There are a few that aren't so good at teaching, but that goes for any school. The counselors make sure you're passing all of the standardize test. There are classes to help if you're falling behind in certain areas, like reading or math. The counselors stress the importance of college, make you apply for scholarships and send in college applications.

Side note: The teachers here are pretty quirky, I have a lot of funny stories/memories from the teachers being themselves.

3. There are quite a few activities that aren't sports to choose from:
Knowledge Bowl (A trivia competition)
Robotics
Speech Team
Math League
Culinary
P4T (Club that talks to younger kids about drugs, relationships etc.)
FFA
Drama (Fall musical, one act play, spring musical)
Drum Line
SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving, they help advocate against drunk driving...)
Marching Band
DECA (A business class which also competes in competitions)
Winter Guard
Secret Justice League (I'm not exactly sure what they do. They do put on a culture show once a year. I also think they help against bullying.)
LINK (Shows new kids and freshman around the school)

I may have forgotten some, but I think that's all of them.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,002 times
Default The proof is in the pudding!

Muzz11,
Your articulate, grammatically-correct response to macwild is a testament to the quality education that you have received! I'd say that's pretty good publicity for Sauk Rapids' schooling!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota