Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:01 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times

Advertisements

Recently the news for the safety rankings for Minnesota cities came out. My curiosity piqued I've been looking through the various Minnesota crime graphs and I've noticed that since 2005 there are no longer statistics available for rape nor comparison for the USA average. Does anyone know why that is?

Another question: How am I to interpret the number in the lower left hand corner of the graph which says "USA=" and then different numbers for different cities? Is that crimes per 100,000 people?

With this new method it is difficult to tell whether crime is increasing or decreasing in comparison with the rest of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 03:06 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
The rape statistics were removed (I think) because of this:

Minneapolis police overreporting rape statistics | Star Tribune

Old 06-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Now that article raises more questions than it answers. What would motivate a police officer to report that more crime is occurring in his precinct than actually is?

I'm sure that, especially in college towns, parents are going to want access to this information. And I'm equally sure that cities (as would most of us) prefer not to discuss it all.

So I'm wondering if eventually someone's going to have the distasteful task of breaking down various violations into their unsavory natures or whether we'll just be missing access. It's been a number of years now. . .

And what is the reason for no longer comparing other crimes to the national average? I'm unhappy about this lack of information.

Friendships with people in the LEC have led to conversations about the pressure being put upon the lower levels by their commanders to reduce crime while policies continue to be made which hamper their ability to do so. Some of this can be accomplished by the nature of the charge levied.

For example, I personally know of a sexual assault on a young girl by a teacher which was charged as disorderly conduct. She had bruises on her legs and wore a neck brace after the assault. By protecting the city's reputation, the predator was protected.

A police forum I frequent mentions that if it takes them long enough to reach the site of a crime people have lost patience and left. No police report=no crime. The cleaner their precinct looks the happier their boss is.

It would be good to get more perspective on this. Maybe there is a more rational explanation.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:09 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Recently the news for the safety rankings for Minnesota cities came out. My curiosity piqued I've been looking through the various Minnesota crime graphs and I've noticed that since 2005 there are no longer statistics available for rape nor comparison for the USA average. Does anyone know why that is?

Another question: How am I to interpret the number in the lower left hand corner of the graph which says "USA=" and then different numbers for different cities? Is that crimes per 100,000 people?

With this new method it is difficult to tell whether crime is increasing or decreasing in comparison with the rest of the nation.
Where is the graph? It would help the conversation if you would link it. I'm curious too.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
crime statistics..............cities that have low crime statistics brag about it and use it in their promotion

If those crime stats rise, those same cities proclaim those statistics were meaningless to begin with

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Where is the graph? It would help the conversation if you would link it. I'm curious too.
Go to City-Data main page and click on Minnesota, kuan.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,757 times
Quote:
Now that article raises more questions than it answers. What would motivate a police officer to report that more crime is occurring in his precinct than actually is?
It basically answers your question in the article:

"The head of the city’s sex crimes unit, Cmdr. Nancy Dunlap, says it more accurately represents sexual violence and, in fact, the FBI recently asked all cities to report this category of crime in that way."

Kudos to the Minneapolis and its PD for taking the lead on this issue, despite the fact that at first blush it makes the city look bad in comparison.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
It basically answers your question in the article:

"The head of the city’s sex crimes unit, Cmdr. Nancy Dunlap, says it more accurately represents sexual violence and, in fact, the FBI recently asked all cities to report this category of crime in that way."

Kudos to the Minneapolis and its PD for taking the lead on this issue, despite the fact that at first blush it makes the city look bad in comparison.
Will you expand on this, please?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,757 times
Quote:
Will you expand on this, please?

I'm sorry, you've lost me here...expand on what exactly?

Old 06-04-2014, 04:45 PM

If the article is accurate and has resulted in the information being unavailable to the citizens I don't understand why you think that's a good idea.

I'm thinking you must mean something else so could you please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota