Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,141 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to the Rochester area for a position at Mayo, but I have a few concerns. I would probably have to live in between Rochester and Minneapolis on Hwy 52 because my spouse is in a non-medical career and may have to work in Minneapolis.

Where do people who live along Hwy 52, e.g., Cannon Falls and Zumbrota, do grocery shopping? It seems that the larger supermarkets are quite far (>10 mi.) from these communities.

How about the smaller roads leading to Hwy 52? How responsive are these communities with snow plowing and salting during the winter?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 03:31 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,562 times
It's a trade off you make for living in a small town. Less traffic, less crime, less food choices, slower internet, etc..
Let me say this, I used to go to Rochester in a regular basis and in the winter 52 can be an awful drive. Blowing snow creates lots of black ice on cold days.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,045 times
Don.t think it would be possible to live a happy life doing both. That commute would be a rough one to the TC. In the dark portions would be desolate and icy, to where 52 is closed often.
Mayo has many other branches around the metro. Oh, and don.t come without jobs lined up. Many are making that mistake.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
It is not reasonable to commute 50 miles each way to work, not through these winters.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It is not reasonable to commute 50 miles each way to work, not through these winters.

winters were never an issue with my +50 mile commute but sometimes the other drivers made a nuisance of themselves...now that I'm down to a +40 mile commute and not having to enter the outer ring at all, life is but a breeze...

Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,746 times
I've had some of the worst moments of my life driving 52. It's wide open so the wind blows - sometimes hard. If it's winter it can be white out conditions. My parents lived in Rochester so I made many trips there. Surprisingly, there were quite a few that commuted to Mpls/Stpl all winter - it had to be an absolute nightmare.

Perhaps your wife can find a job in her field in Rochester.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
winters were never an issue with my +50 mile commute but sometimes the other drivers made a nuisance of themselves...now that I'm down to a +40 mile commute and not having to enter the outer ring at all, life is but a breeze...
To each their own I guess. I don't want to spend 10% of my life commuting to and from work.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
To each their own I guess. I don't want to spend 10% of my life commuting to and from work.

me neither, nor spend the remaining time living in the city...but to each their own

Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:
I commuted from Northfield to Golden Valley for over a dozen years. It wasn't that big of a deal. Only two/three times a year was the snow an issue at all. Major roads stay clear in all but the worst of storms.

And I worked with a guy who made the commute from Zumbrota (and another who drove from River Falls, and yet another coming in from Big Lake... you get the idea).

Were there downsides to the commute? Absolutely. But it was doable. And I'd guess that tens of thousands of people do it in the Twin Cities metro.

Quote:
Nor would I. Nor did I, ever. My 50-mile commutes didn't take up anywhere close to 17 hours of each week (10% of a 168-hour week), even when I worked 5 days/week (most of that time, I worked three 13s each week). But you didn't state this as something you'd rather not do. You said it wasn't reasonable. It is reasonable. Plenty of people are perfectly content to pass their time listening to the radio or podcasts or recorded books.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Quote:
Me neither. The midway point between Rochester and Minneapolis idea sounds extremely undesirable to me. Rochester is a large enough city where there should be some economic opportunities available. I'd look there and only seek employment in the Twin Cities as a last resort. Alot of jobs these days can be done telecommuting too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota