Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 PM

114 posts, read 112,283 times

Advertisements

Oh and from Reno, if you got energy, could take a very scenic rental car side-trip to Lake Tahoe. You can ride through Mt Rose highway going through high elevation mountain scenery, it's about an hour to the lake. And you could come back to Reno via a different route, taking hwy 50 through Carson City from Southern lake shore, this route also takes about an hour and 15 mins. All of it is as scenic and breathtaking as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 04:00 PM

192 posts, read 188,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
Oh and from Reno, if you got energy, could take a very scenic rental car side-trip to Lake Tahoe. You can ride through Mt Rose highway going through high elevation mountain scenery, it's about an hour to the lake. And you could come back to Reno via a different route, taking hwy 50 through Carson City from Southern lake shore, this route also takes about an hour and 15 mins. All of it is as scenic and breathtaking as it gets.
Yeah, that sounds great! If I had a car, I wouldn't have even created this thread because my vacation choice would be really simple -- road trip to Yellowstone!

Old 08-12-2018, 10:36 AM

6,585 posts, read 7,195,186 times
I took Amtrak from St Paul to Portland, OR. Left at 11pm Thursday and got into Portland at noon Saturday. This was in early December in 2011. Here’s the bad part, you wake up (we actually couldn’t sleep either night in a small sleeper car) Friday in North Dakota. Sun sets and was dark as you entered Glacier National Park. Saturday morning you are in Washington and in the Columbia river gorge. Running this route in the summer would be better, but the western MN, ND, and eastern MT was terrible scenery. You could fly to Kalispell, MT (like I’m doing this week) on direct Delta flight, it’s not far from Whitefish, MT. There’s gotta be shuttles between the two cities. The train stops in Whitefish. Ride train to Portland. Then do same opposite coming back.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 PM

192 posts, read 188,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I took Amtrak from St Paul to Portland, OR. Left at 11pm Thursday and got into Portland at noon Saturday. This was in early December in 2011. Here’s the bad part, you wake up (we actually couldn’t sleep either night in a small sleeper car) Friday in North Dakota. Sun sets and was dark as you entered Glacier National Park. Saturday morning you are in Washington and in the Columbia river gorge. Running this route in the summer would be better, but the western MN, ND, and eastern MT was terrible scenery. You could fly to Kalispell, MT (like I’m doing this week) on direct Delta flight, it’s not far from Whitefish, MT. There’s gotta be shuttles between the two cities. The train stops in Whitefish. Ride train to Portland. Then do same opposite coming back.
Exactly. This is just another one of the things I don't like about living in Minneapolis. I can't simply hop on Amtrak and relax. I'm not interested in having to fly somewhere, then take a bus/taxi, then the train and then do it all in reverse. And, as you said, and as I said earlier. Those exact locations (in bold) are dead boring and ugly. Not much of a vacation when you want the ride itself to be the vacation.

I'll come up with something though. Don't know what, but I will! Thanks again to everyone for their replies!

Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,612,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
Exactly. This is just another one of the things I don't like about living in Minneapolis. I can't simply hop on Amtrak and relax. I'm not interested in having to fly somewhere, then take a bus/taxi, then the train and then do it all in reverse. And, as you said, and as I said earlier. Those exact locations (in bold) are dead boring and ugly. Not much of a vacation when you want the ride itself to be the vacation.

I'll come up with something though. Don't know what, but I will! Thanks again to everyone for their replies!
You could ride the Northshore Train, starting in Duluth. Especially in the fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohob8VTsVAk

Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,701,390 times
Why not rent a car and drive up the North Shore? Hike the rivers (Cascade, Brule, & Baptism, especially) and enjoy a bonfire in front of Superior. There's no shortage of places to rent. Lutsen has lots of options. Check airbnb for others. No need to spend all of your time in transit when there are great options for what you seek just to the north.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:26 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,612,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Why not rent a car and drive up the North Shore? Hike the rivers (Cascade, Brule, & Baptism, especially) and enjoy a bonfire in front of Superior. There's no shortage of places to rent. Lutsen has lots of options. Check airbnb for others. No need to spend all of your time in transit when there are great options for what you seek just to the north.
I would second exactly what is said above. It is perfect.;

Old 08-16-2018, 09:57 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,467,597 times
Not sure of the train options in correlation, but if it's scenery and isolation you seek, consider the driftless regions of Minnesota and Wisconsin.......even northeastern Iowa. Some of the most underrated countryside I've ever traversed, and not as many people to contend with in comparison to going up north. If they do have train routes through there it would be an excellent choice, but even if they don't please still consider it. This is the region down in SE Minnesota, SW Wisconsin and NE Iowa. We're planning a family outing down there for the fall and can't wait to go again. The rivers and bluffs especially are just gorgeous, and I have to imagine it would be primo stargazing territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota