Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:55 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times

Advertisements

Can't move. Envy my brother in California not having to put up with this. If he wants his fix of cold weather it's a two hour drive to mountains. Seriously, have we lost are minds. All other seasons are glorious. I go through this every winter though and it's barely started. How do the rest of you keep your sanity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 03:52 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Can't move. Envy my brother in California not having to put up with this. If he wants his fix of cold weather it's a two hour drive to mountains. Seriously, have we lost are minds. All other seasons are glorious. I go through this every winter though and it's barely started. How do the rest of you keep your sanity?
From my experience, people seem to get tired of the bad things about the climate where they live....the south it's heat and humidity, in the PNW it's rain and gray, in Phoenix the heat, and north the cold. There are even people that tire of the Socal climate (not sure why).

I've put up with many climates that I didn't like to accomplish work and career goals but sometimes I think I would have been better off going where I wanted to live and tried to make it work there. I would say, if you can work yourself in to a job where the climate is more to your liking, you should go for it.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Quote:
Can't move.... Seriously, have we lost are minds. All other seasons are glorious. I go through this every winter though and it's barely started. How do the rest of you keep your sanity?
I think this SOP with most Minnesotans. I lived there for almost all of the 70s, snowmobile suit, icicles hanging down from nose, which was fine. What did me in was my roof after about 100 consecutive days of sub-freezing weather. So, I moved to a place where the daily max. temp from late July-late August was over 100 deg F.!

Some of us are just not that smart.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:14 AM

225 posts, read 211,430 times
My exact thoughts yesterday evening, following the thought, "It's not even officially winter yet..." This is my first winter though, so my body is still adjusting. It doesn't help that I just arrived back from my holiday trip where the weather was at or near 60 every day.

I was doing so well until the 20s (aka actually teens). Winter is my favorite season but this is me lately:

Father: It was bitterly cold yesterday, highs in the 40s.
Me: Uh huh.

Co-worker: Winter doesn't normally start this early! Promise.

*Feet still cold after an hour of being indoors and wearing two pairs of thermal socks and thick boots*

*Historical weather says average temperature in Minneapolis in November is 41*

People here warned me, but I didn't listen.

Still, I agree with American Expat that one will get tired in any climate. I was dying to get out of the heat and humidity of the South. And I'm out.

I'd rather not deal with Californian/West Coast culture, which doesn't mesh well with me, personally. The benefits of living here (great pay and more relaxed workplace without "big city" costs, some great people, scenery that makes me feel happy, etc) outweigh the costs. Almost everything here is an improvement, just not "winter".

Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
From my experience, people seem to get tired of the bad things about the climate where they live....the south it's heat and humidity, in the PNW it's rain and gray, in Phoenix the heat, and north the cold. There are even people that tire of the Socal climate (not sure why).
My family in California is pretty tired of wildfires and mudslides.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:38 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
It has been said before and I will reiterate. If you consider wintertime (and everything about it) a bad thing, you are not really built for Minnesota. You have to love it. It doesn't mean that you have to be in shorts and a t-shirt when it is 10 out, but you have to have a love and appreciation for winter and the cold. I really think people who hate it should leave. Why suffer and drag the rest of us who love it down?

I hated southern California's climate. It just wasn't for me. Duluth fits me well and I love every moment of it.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
Quote:
You can't move literally or you can't move out of Minnesota?

Have we lost our minds? What does that mean? For living in a cold winter climate? Lotta crazy people in the world if that's the bar.

California? You kidding? Have you seen the news lately? I think people are nuts for paying the insane real estate prices to live in that!

Maybe you should ask your brother to take you in if the winters get to you to this extent.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 PM

50 posts, read 69,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
My exact thoughts yesterday evening, following the thought, "It's not even officially winter yet..." This is my first winter though, so my body is still adjusting. It doesn't help that I just arrived back from my holiday trip where the weather was at or near 60 every day.

I was doing so well until the 20s (aka actually teens). Winter is my favorite season but this is me lately:

Father: It was bitterly cold yesterday, highs in the 40s.

Co-worker: Winter doesn't normally start this early! Promise.

*Feet still cold after an hour of being indoors and wearing two pairs of thermal socks and thick boots*

*Historical weather says average temperature in Minneapolis in November is 41*

People here warned me, but I didn't listen.

Still, I agree with American Expat that one will get tired in any climate. I was dying to get out of the heat and humidity of the South. And I'm out.

I'd rather not deal with Californian/West Coast culture, which doesn't mesh well with me, personally. The benefits of living here (great pay and more relaxed workplace without "big city" costs, some great people, scenery that makes me feel happy, etc) outweigh the costs. Almost everything here is an improvement, just not "winter".
Wow, if this making you rethink your move, damn. Wait till you get a week of straight sub-zero temps along with wind chill.

I would start looking for job opportunities now.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaVibe786 View Post
Wow, if this making you rethink your move, damn. Wait till you get a week of straight sub-zero temps along with wind chill.

I would start looking for job opportunities now.
yep, won't make it to April

Old 11-29-2018, 01:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
This is my first winter though, so my body is still adjusting.
In spring you will for the first time experience seeing 30 degrees as surprisingly warm and will walk around with your jacket open. Until then, several weeks in December through February will be a real and genuine trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota