Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legalization of recreational marijuana in Minnesota?
Yes 50 81.97%
No 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 09:08 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times

Advertisements

Here we go. Maybe it can be sung before every NFL game along with the black national anthem. Makes as much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 07:17 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
As an Ex-Minnesotan, having lived in legal recreational marijuana Nevada, and now in legal recreational marijuana AZ (passed with a Republican Governor and Republican ruled legislature) it completely blows my mind that MN hasn't legalized it.
And those in the Minneapolis area? Google Most Conservative Cites in America and you'll find Minneapolis sharing space at the bottom with San Francisco! What an irony? An no recreational marijuana!

Lol, "progressive Arizona"................ (more libertarian for sure)

Yes, marijuana should be legal, and lightly regulated, IMO.

As other actual progressive states have found, the hyper regulation and heavy taxation they have legislated is a boon to the black market and all that is entailed there.

Until fairly recently you could not purchase spirits (or even stronger beer) on Sundays off sale in Minnesota, and you still cannot buy spirits or strong beer in gas stations, grocery stores, etc....

I blame the Lutherans.......

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0199b1f...e-f1c4dc369b9a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I do know if WI legalized it, MN would legalize it the next day. Would they want all the busy traffic on I94 heading to a marijuana dispensary in Hudson, WI?
Yep.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:49 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
This might be the one issue you and I see eye to eye on. Perhaps one day you can use your hard-earned dollars to stimulate Minnesota’s economy instead of Michigan’s.
I gotta tell ya, I wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of the operations themselves when I was in Michigan. I didn’t know if a slew of Jeff Spicoli’s were gonna pop out from the back room or what, but the folks were super knowledgeable/professional, the samples were set up ala jewelry stores in cases for viewing and the purchased products packaged in sealed jars and/or airtight containers with descriptive labels (product name, THC content, etc.)….all placed in airtight sealable bags so the smell won’t escape and get all over everything. Was so impressed with it all!

After experiencing it I am even more amazed that Minnesota of all places hasn’t moved to the same level in correlation with statewide recreational purchase/use especially. This barrier has officially been broken and it’s time for Minnesota to fall in.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:54 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I gotta tell ya, I wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of the operations themselves when I was in Michigan. I didn’t know if a slew of Jeff Spicoli’s were gonna pop out from the back room or what, but the folks were super knowledgeable/professional, the samples were set up ala jewelry stores in cases for viewing and the purchased products packaged in sealed jars and/or airtight containers with descriptive labels (product name, THC content, etc.)….all placed in airtight sealable bags so the smell won’t escape and get all over everything. Was so impressed with it all!

After experiencing it I am even more amazed that Minnesota of all places hasn’t moved to the same level in correlation with statewide recreational purchase/use especially.
Yes, what you’re describing is very similar to what you would experience in Illinois, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, California and many other places. Don’t buy the baseless fear mongering accusations that detractors consistently resort to. It’s bologna, pure and simple.

The ONLY thing getting in the way of this becoming a reality is Paul Gazelka and the Republican majority senate doing everything they can to block it. I urge you to call your representatives and demand that they make this happen.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:59 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Quote:
The ONLY thing getting in the way of this becoming a reality is Paul Gazelka and the Republican majority senate doing everything they can to block it. I urge you to call your representatives and demand that they make this happen.
After experiencing how well it's being handled first hand, I'm going to do exactly that. Ridiculous that a new liquor store pops up on some corner every month so people can continue to pickle themselves but they're against this. The whole freggin' world needs to gather around one big hookah and stay there right now.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:37 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Yes, what you’re describing is very similar to what you would experience in Illinois, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, California and many other places. Don’t buy the baseless fear mongering accusations that detractors consistently resort to. It’s bologna, pure and simple.

What is his/their reasoning on not doing it? Do they give actual specific answers to it? WI on the other hand, the beer/bar union or whatever it actually is, is by a landslide the most powerful group in state. They shut the governor down when he tried closing all the bars. Beer founded WI, so can see why, but what’s our argument for not wanting it? Liquor and weed are somewhat fighting for same/similar clients, no way they like each other.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:03 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Here we go. Maybe it can be sung before every NFL game along with the black national anthem. Makes as much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw
My goodness! Someone rhapsodizing about marijuana! Pass the smelling salts!

Oh, wait ... people have been singing about smoking pot ... forever.

Tom Petty, Neil Young, Willie Nelson, they all penned multiple odes to weed. John Prine's Illegal Smile, Bob Dylan's "Everybody must get stoned!" and, of all things, One Toke Over the Line ... on Lawrence Welk in 1971! (Larry clearly hadn't the foggiest idea what a 'toke' was, and he calls the song a spiritual, presumably on the basis of the 'Sweet Jesus' in the lyrics - but you can tell from the grins of everybody else in the shot that they all knew exactly what the subject was of the song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg

So, why are you triggered by the song you link but none of these? Rhetorical question - it's obvious.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What is his/their reasoning on not doing it? Do they give actual specific answers to it? WI on the other hand, the beer/bar union or whatever it actually is, is by a landslide the most powerful group in state. They shut the governor down when he tried closing all the bars. Beer founded WI, so can see why, but what’s our argument for not wanting it? Liquor and weed are somewhat fighting for same/similar clients, no way they like each other.
Here was Gazelka’s statement to the Democrat push for legalization back in February:

On Monday, Minnesota House Democrats unveiled a plan to legalize recreational marijuana in Minnesota.

Majority Leader Paul Gazelka (R-Nisswa) issued the following statement:

“We are focused on the Minnesota Priorities that balance the budget without raising taxes, safely reopen schools and businesses to recover our economy, and support families. I would not consider legalizing recreational marijuana as a Minnesota priority.

“I am open to looking at additional medicinal uses and a conversation around drug sentencing. My main concerns are the unintended consequences of recreational pot, similar to the concerns we all have about tobacco, drinking, or prescription drug abuse. Just because it’s legal doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences. We’re just starting to learn about legalization’s adverse effects in other states like Colorado and Washington. There is no reason to rush this in Minnesota without learning more.”

https://www.mnsenaterepublicans.com/...nal-marijuana/

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 08-26-2021 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-26-2021, 06:04 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
Quote:
Here was Gazelka’s statement to the Democrat push for legalization back in February (in typical obfuscation fashion):

On Monday, Minnesota House Democrats unveiled a plan to legalize recreational marijuana in Minnesota.

Majority Leader Paul Gazelka (R-Nisswa) issued the following statement:

“We are focused on the Minnesota Priorities that balance the budget without raising taxes, safely reopen schools and businesses to recover our economy, and support families. I would not consider legalizing recreational marijuana as a Minnesota priority.

“I am open to looking at additional medicinal uses and a conversation around drug sentencing. My main concerns are the unintended consequences of recreational pot, similar to the concerns we all have about tobacco, drinking, or prescription drug abuse. Just because it’s legal doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences. We’re just starting to learn about legalization’s adverse effects in other states like Colorado and Washington. There is no reason to rush this in Minnesota without learning more.”

https://www.mnsenaterepublicans.com/...nal-marijuana/
Funny, you just repeated with what I said long ago, only you used different words, in the quote. The real outcome will cause much pain.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Funny, you just repeated with what I said long ago, only you used different words, in the quote. The real outcome will cause much pain.
To be clear, those were Paul Gazelka’s words, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota