Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 24,997 times

Advertisements

Hi! We home school our 2 small kids. Before I get any of the usual questions, here's my answers.
1: We homeschool because the public school's in Ohio are well ...they suck.
2: Yes, they get plenty of time with other kids. They attend a home-shool co-op a couple times a week, plus dance and soccer.

We may be transfered to Minneapolis or Denver. Can anyone tell what homeschooling in those states are like? Any Co-op's in the area?

Many Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:41 AM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
I don't but strongly considered it and know people who do so I can answer some. In MN you need to either have a BA, pass the teacher certification or submit grades a few times a year. echo-mn is an active homeschooling group, they have a yahoo group. There's also another yahoo group called homeschool adventures (I think) on yahoo.

There's some co-ops, the ones I've heard about seem to be more suburban than urban. There may be some more urban that I haven't come across. Also a lot ofplaces offer homeschool classes like swimming, The Works in Edina has homeschool science days.

From what I've been told homeschooling in Minnesota is something that can work very well. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:04 PM

256 posts, read 664,658 times
I live in MN, and first, if you are transferred here, the public schools are quite good compared to most states. They frequently rank close to the top in the country. That said, I don't know much about homeschooling here. My cousins were homeschooled in MN, and there seemed to be a lot of opportunities for them. It helps that you would be located in Minneapolis, and not in rural MN, where there is not as much for them to do.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 24,997 times
Thanks for the info ! I would consider putting kids in public school in Minnesota. I have heard great things about public school in MN. I will check out the Yahoo groups. Thanks!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:59 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,405 times
Minnesota is very homeschool-friendly. Just call the district you'll be moving into, and they'll mail you the information you need.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 AM

90 posts, read 283,849 times
We've done both here in the Mpls suburban area. MSP is a very homeschool friendly area (as is most of MN, I believe) with plenty of opportunities, support groups, and co-ops. I did find that many of the co-ops do tend to be religious in nature, but with perserverance you can find secular groups if you desire. Requirements are fairly easy; file an intent form each year and present either a copy of your Bachelors degree (or higher) or submit a report card quarterly if no BA/BS. After age 7, children must be tested annually. Results do not need to be submitted to the district - only the date of the test and type of test taken. We used the Peabody test and had a tester come to our home; easy and fun for the kids. MN is one of the few states where you can deduct homeschool expenses. The main Christian organization is MACHE (Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators) at www.mache.org and the main secular organization is MHA (Minnesota Homeschoolers' Alliance) at www.mha.org. Both memberships include thick binders with lists of co-ops and support groups by county.

That said, the public schools are overall very good. Schools do vary within districts and districts vary from each other. All 3 of my kids are in public school now and we are extremely happy. I feel like they are getting an excellent education. There are lots of affordable extracurriculars available as well.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,904 times
I think you'll be pleased with both the public schools in Minneapolis and the southern suburbs of Denver and some of the northern ones, as well.

That said, good for you homeschooling your kids when the government schools are lousy. We need more parents like you in the world who take the time to actually care for their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota