Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,132 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Rochester, MN within the next few weeks and am looking for a safe apartment near the downtown area. Any recommendations? Also how safe is the SW part of the city near the 3rd Avenue Lofts? Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
I believe the crime around downtown is a little higher than other parts of town. I'm not sure of any specific "safe" neighborhoods downtown though. I rarely have to go there and have never looked into what it would be like living there. I did have a friend who lived in an apartment by one of the many clinic buildings and I don't think she had any problems. It was just her and her daughter there too.

ETA: That was about 10 years ago that she was living there so I'm not sure if it'd be the same nowadays.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,132 times
I was looking at the crime stats on rochestercrime.org and the crime appears more so downtown than out, but it seems to me to be drastically reduced this year 2009 when compared to 2007 and 2008. Thanks for your input "Fromupthere".

Old 11-22-2009, 04:20 PM

You are welcome. You can also check out rochester911.com for what crimes have been committed in the area you are looking at.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 11,513 times
Default Apartment Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satris View Post
I will be moving to Rochester, MN within the next few weeks and am looking for a safe apartment near the downtown area. Any recommendations? Also how safe is the SW part of the city near the 3rd Avenue Lofts? Thanks for your opinions.

Our community is located four miles from the Downtown area. Check out our website at www.grandevilleatcascadelake.com

Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,115 times
Hello! I received a job in Rochester, MN and will be relocating to this city on 02/13/2010 as well. I am looking for a furnished apartment to rent for 3 months. My price range is $450-$560. I was only able to find two properties that offer this type of housing: 2nd Street Villas ( 620 2nd Street SW) and Extended Stay America Efficiency Studios-South (55 Wood Lake Drive SE).

My questions to you guys are: does anybody know if these properties are located in safe neighbourhoods? Does anybody have any experiences staying at both places for couple of months? Which one would you recommend? Would they be safe for an attractive 28 year old female living there alone? My husband will be visiting me occasionally, but I have to make sure that I live in safe conditions until he is able to move to Rochester.

Also, do you know of any other properties that offer inexpensive furnished studios or one bedroom apartments for a 3 month lease?

I would very appreciate any feedback that you could provide. Thank you very much in advance!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM

128 posts, read 282,115 times
WOW that is a quick move - what kind of job?

2nd St Villas is right downtown. Should be very convenient as well as safe.
Wood Lake Drive is very south part of the city; believe it is a mostly commercial area but I certainly wouldn't worry about crime. But you would probably be better off having transportation.

There seem to be a lot of bargains around for renting. I would get as short a lease as possible and see what else is available. The local paper is www.postbulletin.com.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:00 PM

I know where Extended Stay America is and I don't think it's a bad part of town. Considering there are probably many people staying there who are Mayo Clinic patients, I'm sure it's safe or they'd probably not be doing well. I think either place should be fine.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 15,115 times
The job I received is in Human Resources. I was given three weeks for relocation. Thank you very much for your feedback, "littlequeenie" and "fromupthere". Rochester seems to be a great city and pretty safe. I read something about gangs in Rochester the other day and thought I would find out if those areas are safe before signing the lease. So I really appreciate your responses.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Have you spoken to the employer about housing too? Sometimes they may have info on housing - including furnished. I just don't know much about furnished apartments. I'd look into rent.com, maybe craigs list, the newspaper (postbulletin.com) and other rental sites to see if you can find anything. I made sure I knew of the right spot for the Extended Stay and I personally like that little area. If you have any other questions even after you get here and you can't find answers, come back and ask here. I'll try to answer any questions I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: