Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,903 times

Advertisements

Lol! My ears perked up when I read "low-cost of living." Nontheless, @GrandviewGloria summed it up best, for the most part. Whoever thinks they will retire there and love it, will only love it 3 months out of the year: the summer. College kids don't mature with age as you get older, they only get more stupid and annoying. And when you find out that these rich frat kids don't play by the same rules you and I do, and you have to spend your time wrapping your head around that while they bounce out of town and the next (richer) crew rolls in. Also, those who speak about the rolling farmland: do you spend your time picnicking on the side of Hwy 6?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM

45 posts, read 109,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -am- View Post
Lol! My ears perked up when I read "low-cost of living." Nontheless, @GrandviewGloria summed it up best, for the most part. Whoever thinks they will retire there and love it, will only love it 3 months out of the year: the summer. College kids don't mature with age as you get older, they only get more stupid and annoying. And when you find out that these rich frat kids don't play by the same rules you and I do, and you have to spend your time wrapping your head around that while they bounce out of town and the next (richer) crew rolls in. Also, those who speak about the rolling farmland: do you spend your time picnicking on the side of Hwy 6?
If it weren't for the college students Oxford wouldn't be here. The cluster of super-smart kids in the public schools that allow a small school to claim six to 12 National Merit Finalists every year came to be because of professor's kids and perhaps some law kids. Then other smart people moved in. Huge numbers of people are moving in because Oxford public schools have cluster of high-IQ kids that is perhaps 10 times the national norm.

None of the nice restaurants could exist without the students and university to support them.

Putting up with some drunk, obnoxious students is a small price to pay. They can be quite entertaining, actually. I saw a girl passed out at Old Venice recently with her face right down in her plate of food.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM

93 posts, read 216,024 times
I disagree about it being a small price to pay. I wouldn't live in Oxford again if you paid me to. And I was born and raised there! :P

Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 PM

11 posts, read 21,946 times
oxford is full of Ole miss Students. so if u like ole miss, u will like oxford

Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,779 times
Default this place sux

I agree with nurseinplano.
My experience is Oxford doesnt have a hometown feeling. You can see the greed in local business owners and the hate in other locals. Although there are good people here, they are far and few between. We laugh if anyone claims "southern hospitality" here. I'd argue they are lost because there is no southern hospitality in Oxford. I'd argue there's more snobs, rude people, and idiots who cant drive.

The only good thing I can attest to Oxford is the low crime rate compared to other nearby cities/towns. Other than that, expect to see a lot of car accidents, rude people to include grown ups and students.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 PM

428 posts, read 848,598 times
Here is a recent article in the Memphis commercial appeal about Oxford. Oxford riding major boom; population has doubled since 1990 » The Commercial Appeal

I prefer Starkville. Geaux Dawgs!!! But Oxford is alright.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:04 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Oxford is nice and expensive.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM

231 posts, read 595,298 times
Default is oxford Mississippi really good town to live in

Grandview Gloria's post is a crock in all respects. Yes, in my opinion Oxford is a very nice place and would be a neat place to live. Keep inmind that it's a small Town if you have never lived in that environment.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Oxford is nice and expensive.
In terms of the state of Mississippi, or nationwide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
Grandview Gloria's post is a crock in all respects. Yes, in my opinion Oxford is a very nice place and would be a neat place to live. Keep inmind that it's a small Town if you have never lived in that environment.
I've asked questions about Ole Miss and Oxford myself. I've grown up in a small town, but Oxford and the surrounding county are more densely populated than where I live. How are apartments in that town anyway?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 11,546 times
Oh my, so many wide lawns and narrow minds.

This is such an old post, but Captain you don't say how old you are (or perhaps you did I glazed over it). Oxford is a fantastic smaller college town. However, you should visit, read up on the region, history, quirks and challenges. Come with an open mind and speak to many people from different walks of life before making your decision.

I'll respond to a few of your questions:

Oxford, and the greater Hill Country is primarily conservative but does have a larger population of democrats, more so than in other parts of the state. I think on either side of the political spectrum you will find friends.

You say you want to be a screen writer but do you need employment here? One of the largest obstacles to relocating to our hamlet is finding gainful employment that pays a sufficient wage. This is needed as the cost to own a home can be higher than the average town in Mississippi. Prices increase/decrease based on proximity to campus and The Square. There is also a bit of a challenge of living peacefully among college students. They aren't going anywhere. If anything, I find their youthful outlooks and ability to walk willfully into traffic despite traffic calming measures -- a fun thing. I figure everyday I do not intentionally or unintentionally hit a student -- it is a good day.

As for your desire to find more liberal-leaning women in terms of (ahem) personal exploration --- um give me a call? I kid I kid. I have no idea how to answer this. There are many kinds here.

I felt compelled to respond to this as I'm not one of the "landed gentry." I grew up in the Midwest, attended Ole Miss, have lived in several large metropolitan areas and made an effort to return to God's Country. I have a good, stable, well paying job. I enjoy that Oxford is both laid back and slightly pretentious. If nothing, it makes for great people watching. I have lived all across the U.S. and found the friendships I developed with people in this region -- to be my favorite. There are many good, honest, hard working people here.

If you enjoy the arts and writing, Oxford will be a lovely fit. Search the websites of the Southern Foodways Alliance, the Center for the Study of Southern Culture, The Yoknapatawha Arts Council, University Museum, Ford Center for Performing Arts, Square Books, Thacker Mountain Radio Show. There are more I'm forgetting but eh, I'm not going to spoon feed you everything.

There are a number of bicycle paths that are lovely. Though, I love to trail bike so, those are a plus for me. Sardis Lake -- or as I fondly refer to it -- Lac du Sardis, can allow you to pursue any boating or fishing pursuits you may have. I enjoy kayaking the still waters of the Lac and some other nearby rivers.

Memphis is about 1.5 hours away, Little Rock 3 hours, New Orleans and Nashville about 5.

I think the bigger question is, is it a good fit for you? Does Oxford-Lafayette County offer things you are interested in? Do you enjoy peace, rain, trees, grass and mosquitoes? If so, this is a good place for you. Do you enjoy big dance clubs full of lusty woman who want to do nothing more than take you home and let you have their way with them? This is not likely the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi