Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,402 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I plan on relocating to Desoto county from Wisconsin. My husband is from the southern Mississippi but I was born and raised in Wisconsin and I have a few question. What town has the best schools? What are the race relations like? We are going to buy a home prior to moving and want to know what area would be the best to live in?

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,060 times
Default Desoto Co.

We moved to Olive Branch in 2007. Love it. Kids go to Desoto Central High School & Middle and Pleasant Hill. I feel Desoto Central is probably the best high school when you consider everything. Race relations have not been a problem. I would say find something south of Goodman Road between HWY 78 and Tuchlahoma to the west.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,111,304 times
According to schooldigger.com, 3 of the the schools with highest test scores are Lewisburg, DeSoto Central, and Hernando....very nice area overall...

Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,475 times
I can't tell you about the schools but Desoto County is the fastest growing county in Mississippi, due to its proximity to Memphis (Southaven is a suburb of Memphis). I am not from the area but have been through there a number of times and it has grown very quickly. It used to be a sleepy little town but it has exploded with growth over the last 10 to 20 years. The census pretty much bears that out, as Southaven grew from from 18k people in 1990 to 28k people in 2000 to 48k people in 2010. It is currently maybe the 4th biggest city in the state but it is only a matter of time before it is the 2nd biggest city in the state due to its growth rate (Jackson is the biggest city and will remain so despite its shrinking population). Basically, all of the towns (Southaven, Hernando, Olive Branch) are growing quickly and are likely to continue doing so.

Because of that rapid growth, most of the places in DeSoto County (Southaven or elsewhere) are typically newer than in other places, whether it is schools, homes, hospitals, etc. Some people may not like area because it has grown so much so quickly and because of its proximity to Memphis (you are in Memphis the minute you cross the state line into Tennessee) but I think I would enjoy the area for exactly those reasons.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM

468 posts, read 786,843 times
Real estate is expensive in DeSoto County by Mississippi standards. According to Wikipedia, the county has Mississippi's second-highest per capita income. While much of the county's growth is due to white flight from Memphis, there is certainly some black flight as well. According to Wikipedia, the percentage of the black population in 2005 was 11.4 percent.
The part of DeSoto County in the Delta west of the bluffs along the Mississippi River and centered around the community of Walls and U.S. Highway 61 has changed the least over the years. Only in the last decade or so have subdivisions been built there. East of the Delta, however, the growth began in earnest in the 1970s.

Here's a link to the school system's webpage:

http://www.desotocountyschools.org/

I hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 14,067 times
My .02, having lived here for over a year and in Memphis for nearly 15 years.....

First of all, race relations? Like anywhere else in the United States. How are the race relations in Milwaukee and the surrounding suburbs? Looks like Milwaukee and Memphis are similar in terms of size and demographics.

Southaven proper and Olive Branch proper are pretty much extensions of Memphis. Southaven/Whitehaven......Olive Branch/Hickory Hill. Southaven and OB proper have lots of shopping and restaurants that is used largely by residents of ALL the surrounding areas. Many Whitehaven residents travel into Southaven on the weekends for eating and shopping because there is no WalMart, Home Depot, TGI Fridays and etc. in Whitehaven.

Anyway, the schools are the main draw to Desoto County. Since you asked about schools, I am sure that is your main concern too. All the schools in Desoto County are good. However, the three most mentioned are Desoto Central, Hernando, or Lewisburg. My kids go to Desoto Central and it is great. The school is challenging academically, safe, and my kids have made friends with some good kids. The only difference between the three schools is student population. Desoto Central is larger than Hernando and Lewisburg. We will probably move soon to get my kids in the smaller schools. Nothing wrong with DC, just our preference....I prefer very rural living.

If you are looking to find housing, you will have a much larger selection in the Desoto Central school zone. DC's school zone has some nice, affordable housing that is convenient to Southaven shopping. In my opinion, the Snowden Grove area is the most well developed and convenient (new schools, clean Kroger and Target very close, 1st class workout facility in the DAC, golf course) area of Southaven and OB.

Lewisburg school zone, has limited housing. It is a rural area, south of Olive Branch, that was taking off until the housing market slowed. There are some neighborhoods but the houses are mostly (not all but mostly) $250,000 and up. Which is good if you can afford it. But again, it is the most rural area of the three....you will have a neighborhood of $250K and up homes. Then you will have older modest homes surrounding the neighborhood or an agricultural field. However, the Lewisburg area is probably the most likely area to grow once the housing market recovers.

Hernando has a larger housing selection than the Lewisburg area. Hernando,while Southaven slowly creeps towards it, is still a small Mississippi town. It is a pretty quaint town. Compared to S'haven and OB, I feel it is the only area that has a feel of it's own...not a part of Memphis. If you prefer a small town and don't mind a short drive to the convenience of the big city, Hernando is your place. I really like Hernando.

Also, I failed to mention the Center Hill area. I would define Center Hill as a semi-rural area east of Olive Branch. I say semi-rural because there really isn't any shopping developments and etc. there but it is on the stateline next to all the Germantown/Collierville development. Anyway, CH is a good school too. The school is smaller, like Hernando and Lewisburg schools. The Center Hill area, like I said...while still having a rural feel but right next to the state line, is convenient to the Germantown/Collierville area of Memphis which has great shopping, eating, and etc. It is probably going to take off with house building too once the economy recovers.

Anyway.....in summary, if you want more of a city type living area and don't mind a larger school, the DC area (Snowden Grove) is great. If you prefer more rural, with smaller schools, Lewisburg and Center Hill. If you want to feel like you live in Mississippi and not necessarily a suburb of Memphis, choose Hernando.......but that is all just one person's opinion on the place.

Last edited by LuckyLefty; 03-23-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM

468 posts, read 786,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLefty View Post

Many Whitehaven residents travel into Southaven on the weekends for eating and shopping because there is no WalMart, Home Depot, TGI Fridays and etc. in Whitehaven.
There is a WalMart in Whitehaven, at the corner of Elvis Presley and Raines Road, where The Treasury was many years ago:

Whitehaven, Tennessee - Google Maps

I remember when my family and I used to travel from my hometown to the Southland Mall in Whitehaven back in the 1970s. Then when the Mall of Memphis and Hickory Ridge Malls opened in the early 80s, we went there. Now the M of M is gone and Hickory Ridge is a shell of what it once was, but the Southland Mall is still plugging along!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
There is a WalMart in Whitehaven, at the corner of Elvis Presley and Raines Road, where The Treasury was many years ago:

Whitehaven, Tennessee - Google Maps

I remember when my family and I used to travel from my hometown to the Southland Mall in Whitehaven back in the 1970s. Then when the Mall of Memphis and Hickory Ridge Malls opened in the early 80s, we went there. Now the M of M is gone and Hickory Ridge is a shell of what it once was, but the Southland Mall is still plugging along!
Speaking of the Southland Mall, about 10 years ago I went there because it was the location of the nearest Radio Shack to where I was at the time. As I was walking up to the door to go inside a black guy says to his friend "Look at that white dude".

White people are not a common sight at Southland Mall.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 PM

7 posts, read 14,067 times
[quote=Chris Balducci;23539326]There is a WalMart in Whitehaven, at the corner of Elvis Presley and Raines Road, where The Treasury was many years ago:

Never noticed that WalMart. I was traveling over in that area for work quite a bit a few months back too. I saw the Wal Greens on that corner. Anyway, point remains though.......Southaven is Whitehaven's new shopping area. I avoid that Southaven WalMart shopping area at all cost on the weekends.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 AM

11 posts, read 25,214 times
I was born and raised in south MS and was forced to move to Desoto County after Katrina. I say that mostly because there is no place like south MS - it will always be home to me. Unfortunately due to the economy we cannot find decent paying jobs on the Gulf Coast, and probably could not sell our house here in Southaven, so we are stuck for now.

There are many advantages to living in Desoto County, however. We live literally five miles south of Graceland, just south of the Whitehaven area and Southland Mall that the other posters refer to. The problem with this proximity to Memphis, and the resulting spillover, is crime. Not too long ago, a security guard at Southland Mall was shot and killed. There was a drug deal gone bad and a young man shot and killed at the end of our street not long after we moved here. And, we do not even live in a bad area. Our house is very close to the high school. We have had two instances of things stolen from our cars sitting in our driveway, which is lighted, and just a few weeks ago an attempt causing the car alarm to go off at 3 a.m.! Just google some crime statistics before deciding where to live and take into account your safety.

As far as schools, I agree that Desoto County has wonderful, although quite crowded, schools. Most people who work in Memphis but live in Desoto County live in Olive Branch. We prefer the proximity of Southaven. The schools are pretty tight on security here. In general, and this is just my opinion, Desoto Central schools are a bit snotty, Southaven more friendly. Hernando is very nice; a less busy area, not as close to Memphis. If your kids are into music, Southaven High and Desoto Central have ruled the state marching band competition for the last four years ! John Grisham is a graduate of Southaven High!

You will find the people in the area are the epitome of southern charm (just not as much as the Biloxi area), and you will meet many friends here. If we ever do leave the area, I will be most saddened to leave my dear friends. This is the bible belt and so you will find many choices of churches to join of all faiths, but most predominately Baptist. If you like to shop you have many great options both in Southaven, Olive Branch and Memphis. Restaurants too. As someone else noted, many people from Memphis come over the line to shop in Southaven due to the lower tax rate so weekends tend to be crowded and the main road, Goodman, congested.

As far as your question regarding race relations, the poster commenting on being noticed as a white guy in Southland Mall was right! lol. But, it has never been an issue for me. I just noticed that I was about the only "cracker" in the place (lol) but no one else seemed to. As with any store, merchandising is based on demographics, so if you are looking for Easter hats, Macy's has plenty! No people I am not being ugly - I wish more people wore Easter hats - I adore them! Really though, I've never had any issues or feeling of being treated any differently because I am white when I go to that mall. I cannot necessarily say that is true other places I have been in the area though, unfortunately. Once again, statistics will reflect the Memphis area has a very high percentage of African Americans. And, also - there are rednecks all over the world! So, it will be what you make it I think.

I will be glad to answer any questions or help you if I can just pm me. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi