Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Perhaps Mississippi is attempting to close its only abortion shop because they are tired of the state's future scientists, inventors, authors, and governors being murdered before they even get to draw a breath of Mississippi air.
They could also be the next Hitler. What if Hitler's mother had decided to abort him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Perhaps Mississippi is attempting to close its only abortion shop because they are tired of the state's future scientists, inventors, authors, and governors being murdered before they even get to draw a breath of Mississippi air.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but if a mother is seriously considering an abortion, the chances are that the baby would grow up poor and under-educated. Most likely just another name on the welfare rolls.

Don't forget, according to the extreme right-wing conservatives the rights of a human end at birth. Protect the unborn at all cost, but then don't even think about feeding and educating them after they are breathing. Republicans are famous for cutting or restricting access to welfare, and Mississippi has some of the worst schools in the nation. Even if the fetus has the potential to be the scientist who finds a cure for cancer, that potential will never be realized if the child is starving and never learns basic math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Ah, I'm trying not to be mean, but what notable scientists, inventors, and authors has Mississippi produced (I'll give you William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, and Tennessee Williams) ?
Granted, this list is populated by some dubious names, but here it is: List of people from Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are scientists, inventors, and LOTS of authors on the list. It's sorted by category. Although light on the hard sciences, it's heavy on culture. Mississippi has LONG been a cultural exporter. Feel free to peruse a while.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Ah, I'm trying not to be mean, but what notable scientists, inventors, and authors has Mississippi produced (I'll give you William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, and Tennessee Williams) ?
I am not interested in getting into a moral argument over the topic of abortion, but I feel the need to respond to the question above. Mississippi has produced its share of intelligent, insightful people who have contributed to the culture and productivity of this country. Notable scientists, inventors, and authors include:

Scientists and Inventors:

Henry Sampson - First African American to earn a Ph.D.in Nuclear Engineering in the United States. Employed as a research chemical engineer at the U.S. Naval Weapons Center, China Lake, California, in the area of high energy solid propellants and case bonding materials for solid rocket motors. He also served as the Director of Mission Development and Operations of the Space Test Program at the Aeropace Corporation in El Segundo, California. His patents included a binder system for propellants and explosives and a cse bonding system for cast composite propellants. Both inventions are related to solid rocket motors.

On July 6, 1971 he was awarded a patent, with George H. Miley, for a gamma-electrical cell, a device that produces a high voltage from radiation sources, primarily gamma radiation, with proposed goals of generating auxiliary power from the shielding of a nuclear reactor. Additionally, the patent cites the cell's function as a detector with self power and construction cost advantages over previous detectors. Effectively, this paved the way for the invention of the cell phone.

Elizabeth Lee Hazen - Most known for her contribution to the development of nystatin, the first non-toxic drug treatment for fungal infections in humans.

Fred Haise - American engineer and former NASA astronaut. He is one of only 24 humans to have flown to the Moon.

Harry Cole - Inventor of Pine Sol.

Gail Borden - Inventor of condensed milk.

Writers:

Too many to list. Varying levels of importance and noteriety, most born in Mississippi and some raised here from an early age.

Mississippi writers born or raised in the state who are novelists, poets, dramatists, essayists, twentieth-century writers,

Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
How do you propose MSians "tackle the problem" of teen pregnancy?
How about some teen abstinence?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That's working very for the state. Keep that up.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Abstinence-only education does not work and will never work. How about teaching them about birth control methods and the horrors of teen parenthood?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Last I checked, it wasn't right to kill your child because you had a hard time feeding them. Nor even legal. Unless of course the child is not born yet. Because as so aptly stated by a female Supreme Court justice, the state has no compelling interest in the welfare of an unborn child. Forget what is right or wrong, these days we have made the state our God, so what is legal matters more than what is right. Perhaps Mississippi is attempting to close its only abortion shop because they are tired of the state's future scientists, inventors, authors, and governors being murdered before they even get to draw a breath of Mississippi air.
God has no place in the state. I think you mean the state is tired of more welfare recipients being aborted and more babies running around the trailer parks in the dirt with no shoes or pants. You act like these babies would all eventually become successful, plus they would eventually move to an actual good state.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Interesting, The folks who place no value on the potential of a child also denigrate a whole state. Perhaps we should just nuke Mississippi, since everyone born there is obviously going to become an illiterate redneck who lives off a welfare check, anyway. Of course, this attitude should not be a surprise, coming from folks who are ok with the mass murder of our most defenseless citizens. It is pretty rich of y'all to be so pro-choice, since you're already here. Being pro choice is more fun when you aren't the one being murdered, isn't it?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 PM

26 posts, read 55,474 times
Rather than stamping on other people's ideas of the rightness or wrongness of aborting a child, I think someone 8 3/4 pgs back asked if there were any school districts in MS which teach sex ed curriculum beyond abstinance. The poster was correct in saying that is a local decision, but I believe he/she stated it was made by elected officials. It is decided by the district or county school board (which in MS is not always an elected body) and it is by recommendation of the administrators and educators within that district and sometimes after polling the public whom the district serves.

I know of four large districts in the MS delta which have elected to teach abstinance plus - which consists of education about contraceptives, abortion, sexual ethics, diseases, etc. Regular abstinance-only education in most districts also includes an overview of sexually transmitted diseases. Since school districts are intended to serve the children and parents within their borders I find it wholely appropriate families get some input as to what their children are taught is sexually 'right' or 'wrong.' In districts where education goes beyond abstinance, parents can opt their children out of the classroom for part of the course.

As I said, this is in the delta, which is an extremely high teen-pregnancy area. I believe the gulf coast has some schools who have abstinance plus courses, but do not know for sure. And each district decides this on a yearly basis so far as I know. And if I have spelled abstinance incorrectly throughout this just eviscerate me.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM

26 posts, read 55,474 times
The original question seemed to be why the legislature was trying to 'shut down' the only abortion clinic (which is located in Jackson, MS) by insisting that they not perform procedures without a dr. able to admit patients to hospital. As I pointed out, there are no other out-patient clinics allowed to do surgery without such privileges, but evidently simple equity and safety of patients isn't enough of a reason for some. Some replies mention that area hospitals would let a bleeding or comatose or possibly infected woman check in without any dr. to present her history. And that is true.

I know it is true because I have a dear friend whose daughter received an abortion 10 yrs ago and almost died. She presented herself (after being allowed to drive herself home after abortion) 200 miles away from this very clinic bleeding from an area which should not have been injured in an abortion but was. She was barely 18. She told the hospital where she went that she hurt herself motorcycle riding. Luckily they discovered what was wrong. They tried to contact the abortion clinic but the dr. who had worked on the girl was long gone, back to Alabama. The clinic had no further information to offer. She also had an allergic reaction to something, neither hospital nor her parent was ever able to verify what it was or whether it related to her experience at the clinic. Is this care you'd like for yourself?

Further, the abortion clinic has a rather unique history which may or may not contribute to their difficulty in getting any dr. admitting privileges. I will gather some of the info and post later along with a source so that non-believers can see what caliber of dr. they hire. I will first need to find out where the physician who killed his wife is imprisoned though - because I'm sure no one will believe that one without proof. But, it's true!

In regards to the parking space problem, there are often 2 dozen or more women in the clinic at a time. They do not do only abortions. Other clinics and facilities are required to meet the same parking regulations. While they whine about being abused over the parking requirement, which has been communicated to them repeatedly, they did find funds to paint their building bright, hot pink and to produce videos and ads which show women dancing around, painting their faces, and playing with balloons after their joyful procedures. It might just be a matter of taste but seems like adding some parking might make it easier for their clients to hobble out to the car after treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi