Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

You mentioned grad school, so you're not a child. While your family may not understand, it isn't their choice and they won't be attending - or working hard for your graduate degree. You are an adult. Just tell them your decision and make it clear there is no debate but you don't mind CONSTRUCTIVE input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You mentioned grad school, so you're not a child. While your family may not understand, it isn't their choice and they won't be attending - or working hard for your graduate degree. You are an adult. Just tell them your decision and make it clear there is no debate but you don't mind CONSTRUCTIVE input.
Well, I'm making my move to speak to the colleges soon.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You may meet my grandson. He's from a town 40 miles away. But he only comes home once a month or so. He has made new friends at college; we never hear about his old high school friends even though he graduated just last year.

Oxford doesn't really have outlying towns, as such. A look at the map will show some small towns around, but none of any size.
I'm actually quite comfortable with the size of Oxford, Abbeville, Taylor, Pontotoc, Batesville, Holly Springs...all places I wouldn't feel endangered in.

I suppose what has me on edge the most is the distance, the acceptance rate, just the culture shock I'll have at first, and the fact that I should visit the campus first.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
What you may experience is homesickness and not culture shock. An extended visit to Shanghai on the Yangtze River, on the other hand, could yield some pretty unpleasant results. Language obstacles, disparities in hygiene, and inaccessibility to familiar food would create a heightened sense of desolation. You won't find Mississippi to be a problem. You've been there before and you liked it. Expect the same.

I've never been to Shanghai, so I could very well be wrong. Might want to stay.

Last edited by Seadory; 10-22-2013 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
What you may experience is homesickness and not culture shock. An extended visit to Shanghai on the Yangtze River, on the other hand, could yield some pretty unpleasant results. Language obstacles, disparities in hygiene, and inaccessibility to familiar food would create a heightened sense of desolation. You won't find Mississippi to be a problem. You've been there before and you liked it. Expect the same.

I've never been to Shanghai, so I could very well be wrong. Might want to stay.
The University life may be very new, very Southern vibe to things will be different, but Oxford isn't a huge place. So, it'll be welcome.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 PM

How is the job market in Oxford?

Dad's convinced I'll financially destroy myself in this venture.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
How is the job market in Oxford?

Dad's convinced I'll financially destroy myself in this venture.
It's almost non-existent. A good friend just moved out of there. Either you are well qualified and employed by the University, or you are at the bottom of the totem pole.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
It's almost non-existent. A good friend just moved out of there. Either you are well qualified and employed by the University, or you are at the bottom of the totem pole.
Looks like bottom of the totem pole for me.

What would you recommend?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Looks like bottom of the totem pole for me.

What would you recommend?
You seem to be saying that you need support in order to complete a masters program.

That being the case, I will recommend you take the degree you have and start your career without the masters degree. Once you get a job with steady working hours then you can take on the masters program.

That's what my step-daughter did. She is a teacher and put off the masters for 20 years. She is just now completing her work.

Tell us what your field is. Maybe someone has some better ideas, but my "default position" has always been "dig in and work". If achieving a life time goal means you have to live frugally for a while, then that's what I believe you should do. Take the best job you can find, no matter where it is. The very best things happen to us when we cast our fate to the wind.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You seem to be saying that you need support in order to complete a masters program.

That being the case, I will recommend you take the degree you have and start your career without the masters degree. Once you get a job with steady working hours then you can take on the masters program.

That's what my step-daughter did. She is a teacher and put off the masters for 20 years. She is just now completing her work.

Tell us what your field is. Maybe someone has some better ideas, but my "default position" has always been "dig in and work". If achieving a life time goal means you have to live frugally for a while, then that's what I believe you should do. Take the best job you can find, no matter where it is. The very best things happen to us when we cast our fate to the wind.
I'm aiming on going into History and possibly education to go along with it.

I have no problems with living frugally, hell I work at a grocery store and I really don't have many extravagant things. All I would need is just a steady blue collar, or at least part time job and an affordable apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi