Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,119 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We've been searching the net for about 6 months trying to decide where to move when our house sells. We are currently living in the desert and wanted to move near water (river or lake is okay, as I don;t want to evacuate during storms and have extra flood and wind insurance.)

It is imperative that the place have nice weather YEAR ROUND. By this I mean a very minimum of below freezing temps, if there are any at all. I can deal wth rain, but no snow and ice please.

Also important on my list is a nice neighborhood on a bigger lot so houses aren't packed in tight. Shopping closeby is important, as well as hospitals, libraries, etc.

We are retired but I wouldn't mind finding a job PT if it was close to where I live. I'm not a typical older adult.

Also things to do and restaurants close by would be nice. My husband wants a boat, but living on the gulf can be risky because of storms amd all the extra insurance needed. We only have so much money and woud rather not spend it on extra insurance. I'm thinking further up and above I-10 would be better as long as it's not too cold in the winters. Actually 40 is as cold as I would ever like to see it, if there is such a place.

We'd rather not be in a flood zone. Even a smaller town would be okay as long as it's not dumpy and there's something bigger closeby.

We've looked all along the coast and also in Covngton and New Arbor Lakes (near Poplarville). I think these places may be too cold in winter, but you tell me.

In fact if anyone can give me an idea of a nice town along with a general idea of insurance rates, utilities, etc. it would be very helpful. Even a lot isn't out of the qustion as long as it's on water, built up higher and reasonable.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 06:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
Due to the terrain and soil, lakes in MS are shallow and muddy (plus most are full of gators, which leave you alone if you leave them alone, there is actually a peaceful coexistence). Pickwick Lake in northeast MS being the exception. It is very nice up there and the temp will be a little milder in the Summer. You would likely be three hours or so from Nashville plus an hour or so to Tupelo, Jackson, TN and Florence AL - I haven't mapped any of that.

Pickwick is beautiful and reminds one of Eastern TN or NW Ark (minus the moutains) and has almost 0 crime. I'm not sue about housing around the lake though.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
Just reread your post about resurants and things to do. Mississippi is a rural, sparsely populated relatively poor state; therefore, things to do and fancy returnants are at a minimum. The big 5 in MS; footbal, church, hunting, youth sports and gambling (in no particular order).

Old 10-25-2014, 08:33 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
My friend, if 40 degrees is the coldest you want to see, you had better get as close to the coast as possible. The Jackson area will routinely get into the 30s, and occasionally into the 20s every winter. So you need to go further south.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:37 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Just reread your post about resurants and things to do. Mississippi is a rural, sparsely populated relatively poor state; therefore, things to do and fancy returnants are at a minimum. The big 5 in MS; footbal, church, hunting, youth sports and gambling (in no particular order).
And don't forget the SWINGING!!! http://www.mslitigationreview.com/20...loses-lawsuit/ It's poised to overtake football and church, if trends continue. Oh, and no, to answer the question posited at the end of the linked article, the Plaintiff does NOT reside in Reunion. He lives in lovely nearby Cypress Lake, a convenient bible-based stone's-throw from both The Anti-Aging Clinic for Men, and exuberant Broadmoor Baptist Church.

This, I hear, is the "Official Swinger's Tee" for Reunion, a lakeside community of homes 400k and up, in Posh Little Madison, Mississippi. Reunion Swinger's Club

And apparently, the PineappleUpsideDown motif connotes swingerhood all over Madison, now, although Yeti Coolers on the backs of ATVs are apparently another tipoff for those "in-the-know". Madison Pineapple

But Madison will be WAY TOO COLD for you, honey! Even sweltering Hattiesburg, which has some wonderful lakeside communities http://universalwebsites.theknot.com.../Canebrake.JPG, great shopping, and fantastic eateries http://www.purpleparrotcafe.net/wp-c...6-1024x819.jpg, will be bone-chillin'-cold, for someone who considers 40 to be the bottom limit. Even the narrow fringe of land along the Gulf of Mexico will get into the upper thirties, when a cold front blows down from Canada in January.

Mississippi is not like California, where in April you can take Old Highway 2 from the Desert, over mountain passes, getting out of the car to make snowballs, then down through La Canada, then down Sunset Boulevard to perfect bikini weather in Malibu - all in an afternoon - passing from one distinct climate to another. Unlike the Pacific Coast, the Deep South has not a single mountain range between it and the frigid interior of Canada. Cold snaps can get pretty cold. Basically, the Deep South has ONE CLIMATE. The ever-present humidity, and the lack of any real topography, tend to homogenize the weather across the region.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 10-25-2014 at 11:51 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Thanks all of you for your great comments. I lived in southern CA for 25 years so I know how nice and perfect it is, but I can't afford to live there now. I was raised in south TX so I know all about flat country, humidity and cold fronts. I can deal with a cold front lasting a couple of days but I DON'T want to deal with snow and ice and weeks on end of cold weather. I would go back to TX probably except the husband can't deal with my family and they have very hgh property taxes in TX. We have to watch all our expenses.

We aren't partiers but do like to go out to a restaurant once in a while and it doesn't have to be fancy, but not a dive either.

I just don't want to drive 30-40 minutes to go to the store or do any shopping.

We aren't church goers and don't have kids either so that lets those activities out. I'm sure there must be communities there that have book clubs, writing grous, and photography clubs etc that meet once in a while, so there would be something to do besides fish. My husband watches college and pro sports on TV.

Can anyone tell me if it's mandatory to have wind and hail insurance there? We've been talking to a lot of realtors all across the south (several states) and they say yes. I don't remember my family ever havving it when I was growing up and none of them have it now either and it seems they've all been fine. What gives with that?

I know none of you will know this but what is your gut feeling on hurricanes coming through MS on the gulf? Has it happened a lot since you've lived there?

We just want a decent neigborhood with some trees and on a biger lot, preferabbly on the water (as mentioned earlier - river, lake, etc. I don't think we can afford the gulf and then you'd need flood insurance as well).

Does MS have a Costco?

I'll check out some of the places you've suggested.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and offer some suggestions. I appreciate it.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:54 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Take a look at Picayune. They have lots of new homes on spacious lots in subdivisions about 5 minutes north of town along Hwy 11. Picayune is large enough for some shopping and an easy drive to New Orleans. Otherwise, obviously if you look around there are homes on spacious lots on the outskirts of Gulfport and Hattiesburg. Another option might be Lucedale, with in small but very close to Mobile.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:59 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweathergal View Post
Hi all,

We've been searching the net for about 6 months trying to decide where to move when our house sells. We are currently living in the desert and wanted to move near water (river or lake is okay, as I don;t want to evacuate during storms and have extra flood and wind insurance.)

It is imperative that the place have nice weather YEAR ROUND. By this I mean a very minimum of below freezing temps, if there are any at all. I can deal wth rain, but no snow and ice please.

Also important on my list is a nice neighborhood on a bigger lot so houses aren't packed in tight. Shopping closeby is important, as well as hospitals, libraries, etc.

We are retired but I wouldn't mind finding a job PT if it was close to where I live. I'm not a typical older adult.

Also things to do and restaurants close by would be nice. My husband wants a boat, but living on the gulf can be risky because of storms amd all the extra insurance needed. We only have so much money and woud rather not spend it on extra insurance. I'm thinking further up and above I-10 would be better as long as it's not too cold in the winters. Actually 40 is as cold as I would ever like to see it, if there is such a place.

We'd rather not be in a flood zone. Even a smaller town would be okay as long as it's not dumpy and there's something bigger closeby.

We've looked all along the coast and also in Covngton and New Arbor Lakes (near Poplarville). I think these places may be too cold in winter, but you tell me.

In fact if anyone can give me an idea of a nice town along with a general idea of insurance rates, utilities, etc. it would be very helpful. Even a lot isn't out of the qustion as long as it's on water, built up higher and reasonable.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

Thank you so much.
You're more of a candidate for Florida than Mississippi.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I think you should look towards Summerdale or Robertsdale in Alabama. That'll put up you closer to Mobile and Pensacola for shopping and things to do. There's also a big Tanger Outlet in Foley. Still can get cold Jan-March, but rarely any snow or ice.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:31 PM

Thanks so much brick patio and southern nature lover. Also to you listener 2307. I'll check out these suggestions.

As long as it warms up most days, I'll be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi