Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 03:59 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,017,188 times

Advertisements

"As an English teacher you'll have your work cut out for you. Your first task will be to try and figure out the local dialect so you can communicate with the locals. In some extremely rural parts of the state it only passingly resembles English, and it varies wildly from one part of the state to another. Some residents from different areas can barely understand each other. I've traveled a lot and have a good ear, and one time I literally had to translate between someone from north Alabama (edge of Appalachia) and someone else from extreme south-west MS (edge of Cajun country, but this guy had a heavy accent)."

The OP should not take this seriously. The only dialectical divide of any consequence among native Mississippians is between the most poorly educated blacks and the rest of the population. As a native Mississippian I have never had the slightest difficulty in communicating with a person of ordinary education from any part of the state.

Linguists usually divide the state's speech into Upper Southern and Deep South or Coastal Southern, and they really have to nitpick to make the distinction.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 04:21 PM

42 posts, read 54,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
As an English teacher you'll have your work cut out for you. Your first task will be to try and figure out the local dialect so you can communicate with the locals. In some extremely rural parts of the state it only passingly resembles English, and it varies wildly from one part of the state to another. Some residents from different areas can barely understand each other. I've traveled a lot and have a good ear, and one time I literally had to translate between someone from north Alabama (edge of Appalachia) and someone else from extreme south-west MS (edge of Cajun country, but this guy had a heavy accent).

No location anywhere near Mississippi is even remotely close to New York City. The NYC itself has a population of 8.4 million people crammed into about 300 square miles. The NYC Metro has a population of about 20 million in 13,000 square miles.

The entire state of Mississippi has a population of about 3 million spread out over 48,000 square miles.

To follow up on what's been said before, you won't have a problem finding a job. What you will have a problem with is finding a job with sufficient pay. MS's taxpayers are notoriously tight with money, and many uneducated types see teaching as a cushy job not worthy of decent pay. You only work 7 hours a day for 9 months, right?

Also, many in Mississippi don't view an education as a priority. "Teaching to the test" is about as far as many go.
Wow, are you serious about the diverse dialects? I cannot believe that they can be so different as to make it hard to communicate with people from certain parts of the state, but I would certainly like to hear some more about this.

I do understand what you are saying in regards to MS being totally unlike NY in nearly every way, but that is also part of the reason why I am so interested in moving to Mississippi in the first place. That is very encouraging to here regarding the availability of teaching jobs in the state, but I have to disagree on teachers having a "cushy" job that isn't of top priority; I do get that many people have this opinion unfortunately, but that is for another post! Haha
While I understand the pay will not be that great, I am also guessing that the overall cost of living in MS is much less than that of other places such as New York, and in that sense the lower salary will not hurt me as much.

I thank you for the helpful information you have provided me with, and if you have anything else to share with me I would definitely appreciate it.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
"As an English teacher you'll have your work cut out for you. Your first task will be to try and figure out the local dialect so you can communicate with the locals. In some extremely rural parts of the state it only passingly resembles English, and it varies wildly from one part of the state to another. Some residents from different areas can barely understand each other. I've traveled a lot and have a good ear, and one time I literally had to translate between someone from north Alabama (edge of Appalachia) and someone else from extreme south-west MS (edge of Cajun country, but this guy had a heavy accent)."

The OP should not take this seriously. The only dialectical divide of any consequence among native Mississippians is between the most poorly educated blacks and the rest of the population. As a native Mississippian I have never had the slightest difficulty in communicating with a person of ordinary education from any part of the state.

Linguists usually divide the state's speech into Upper Southern and Deep South or Coastal Southern, and they really have to nitpick to make the distinction.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, I had a feeling that he was messing around with that post, although I'm not so sure why. That is also very interesting to note as well regarding the dialect split.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Take your favorite person and stay at Bay Town Inn.
Bay Town Inn - Bay Town Inn | Bed & Breakfast

Every single business in Bay St Louis sports a brand new sign that says "ALL are welcome here".
Sounds awesome, will try to check it out! What do you mean by "all are welcome" though? Not sure where that comes in haha

Last edited by BGChargers123; 04-18-2016 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 07:45 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,902,969 times
The five places in MS I would live; Coast, Hattiesburg area, Jackson metro, Tupelo and Desto County. Make sure you check out the school on school digger. The more kids on free or reduced lunch, the worse your life will be.

If I was a young single buck, I'd look at Ocean Springs or BSL. Well, actually if I were a young buck, I'd stay far away from the dirty, but if you're determined, look at the places I recommend.

Last edited by viverlibre; 04-18-2016 at 08:03 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 13 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,607,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Take your favorite person and stay at Bay Town Inn.
Bay Town Inn - Bay Town Inn | Bed & Breakfast

Every single business in Bay St Louis sports a brand new sign that says "ALL are welcome here".
I somehow knew Bay St. Louis (Hancock County) would pull thorough. It seems to do the best to defy Mississippi stereotypes, and seemingly being authentic (rather than put-on) about it. The City of Biloxi, based on past voting statistics, seems pretty relaxed about it too.

Even Jackson's Fondren and Belhaven neighborhoods are reasonably accepting - being a pre-WW1 area close to downtown which best withstood White and/or Middle Class flight since 1970 or so. That plus having two small but good liberal arts colleges also helps.

But Bay St. Louis is the only small town in Mississippi that I'm aware of that is decisively outside the conservative column by national standards.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:43 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,996,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
The five places in MS I would live; Coast, Hattiesburg area, Jackson metro, Tupelo and Desto County. Make sure you check out the school on school digger. The more kids on free or reduced lunch, the worse your life will be.

If I was a young single buck, I'd look at Ocean Springs or BSL. Well, actually if I were a young buck, I'd stay far away from the dirty, but if you're determined, look at the places I recommend.
Another vote for Ocean Springs IF I was a coast guy, of which I am not. I would, however, be a little hesitant to buy something, with the threats of hurricanes and all. Not my area though, so don't go by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGChargers123 View Post
MsAl Line and Sammy Reynolds:
Thanks for the information, really do appreciate it. In particular, are there any specific towns/cities along the coast that you guys would recommend, as I take it that the coastline and Memphis area are my best bets and I would definitely like to find out a bit more about them. Thanks again!
Hernando is a nice small town/suburb type area, outside Memphis.

Overall, MS is state of small towns, and most of the residents like it that way and want to keep it that way. I love MS, but I'm not willing to do the small town thing at this point. While I live in Birmingham, I could probably (and have been close) to moving to Memphis or Jackson metros. Hernando in Memphis, probably Madison/Brandon in Jackson. For single guy I'd probably go Fondren/Belhaven area in Jackson, just remember that you are in a dangerous city (as are most in the south, Birmingham and Memphis included) and you should watch your back. While it's not as horrible as people say, do not be naive to this. I'm talking the downtown areas here, the suburbs are just fine.

As you can maybe tell, I have a passion about the state and want it to retain its charm, but people there do need to realize they need a few urban areas to attract out-of-staters, because people from 'insert city' likely aren't swarming to Indianola, you know?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:56 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,113,436 times
I agree, just about any town on the Mississippi Gulf Coast fits your description (not too crowded, accepting, great for tennis and fishing, and with things to do). Among towns on the Coast, Ocean Springs has probably the best little downtown area full of bars and restaurants with beautiful patios and lively crowds, and a wonderful community beach full of walkers, bikers etc. Bay St. Louis is smaller and quieter and feels like (is) paradise. Same for neighboring Pass Christian.

Since you asked about suburbs, the best suburban areas are probably Madison, Flowood, and Lamar County just west of Hattiesburg.

And there are college towns Oxford and Starkville which are both very livable. As noted above, Tupelo is a very pleasant small city with a notable all-American feel.

Since you like fishing, you might look at the small town of Corinth. They have a beautiful historic district and reasonably close to larger cities like Memphis (an hour) and a bit further to others such as Nashville and Birmingham. But mostly I mention this since you said you like fishing, and Corinth is just minutes from lovely Pickwick Lake, which is the state's clearest-water lake and is huge.

All that said though, at your age I would probably grab an apartment right across the street from the beach, in Long Beach, MS, and enjoy the entire coastal area plus neighboring New Orleans. Second options would probably be either the Jackson area (e.g. Flowood if you want new, or Belhaven/Fondren if you want historic district) or maybe Hattiesburg (growing small city that benefits from having a university and a location close to New Orleans, Miss Gulf Coast, Florida and Jackson).

Old 04-19-2016, 12:33 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,785,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGChargers123 View Post
Sounds awesome, will try to check it out! What do you mean by "all are welcome" though? Not sure where that comes in haha
That means GAYS are welcome (and that the community does not embrace the homophobia and overt Gay-bashing rampant elsewhere on the Coast). Apparently, other posters did not read the "conservative Catholic" part of your original post, and assume that, like most other outsiders inquiring into Mississippi, you are looking for someplace liberal, and with "lots of diversity!".

But don't worry. The Coast is the stomping-ground of Representative Steven Palazzo. He's really hot-looking, with a thick bull neck, and perfect hair. He could go on TV, and be the next Sean Patrick Hannity. Hunky Mr. Palazzo is Roman Catholic, and, I presume, a Sicilian/Irish hybrid. He's a total stud, and seems to dislike Gay people with a Scalia-like intensity.

Anyway, that's the kind of politician the Coast elects (I can name a list of prominent - even nationally famous - "Christian Family Man" politicians from the Coast, who secretly are Gay. But the Electorate have no idea.). So, on the whole, you can expect the Coast to be a suitable bastion of Conservative Values.

The hunting down there is great. And New Orleans is very close-by, should you momentarily crave entertainment or population density (Lotsa "fruits & nuts" in that French Quarter. But most of the tourists are there to laugh at them, and so a young Conservative shouldn't feel too traumatized by being in their presence. Besides: the French Quarter is only a tiny part of the city. Stay away from the heavily Gay French Quarter/Marigny districts, and the heavily Jewish/Intellectual/WASPy/wealthy/educated Uptown/Garden District/Bayou Saint John areas, and the wealthy/educated Mandeville/Covington/Madisonville part of "da nawtshoh", and, as with Mississippi's Gulf Coast, you will find a hearty mix of Conservative Catholic Family Values, in the 90% of the New Orleans Metro which remains - to include Old Metairie, Terrytown, and Slidell.).

Having read your profile, I definitely think that the Gulf Coast is the part of Mississippi where you'll feel most comfortable. And really, BrickPatio nailed it with her recommendation. Long Beach should be perfect.

Vicksburg is heavily Catholic, too, and teaching opportunities surely abound, there. And again, there is plenty of great hunting in the area.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 04-19-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 02:30 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,829,547 times
Cleveland has Delta State University, a Grammy Museum, a nice downtown, some good restaurants, a small arts scene, and some Catholics of northern Italian ancestry. By Delta standards, it is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi