Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
All I've been saying. Is there are a large number of Pro-Flag groups mobilizing in the state already. November is going to be a bloody mess.
No it is not. The old flag is not coming back no matter what the crazy man from Ellisville (and his very few henchmen and women) say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 07:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
No it is not. The old flag is not coming back no matter what the crazy man from Ellisville (and his very few henchmen and women) say.
Live in denial all you like.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Live in denial all you like.
Just curious, you think you know more about this than a life long resident who has spend more the 50 years here? I'll wager whatever you want.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
What's with that TABLE, at which the Sunday School Teacher... correction.... the "Governor", is signing the edict or proclamation or whatever it is: Jackson Jambalaya: The Flag Comes Down
Delbert looks like his dog just got run (rurnt) over. I don't think he is much of a fan of Tater.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:43 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Guys, the flag needed to be changed. Even the people who did not want it changed were only doing so because of the chip on the shoulder about people telling them what to do. The 2001 vote was not even a binding vote; the legislature just used that to get the issue off THEIR backs and onto the "people".

Progressivism always wins, when it's righteous. And on this issue, it is. The majority of people in Mississippi know this. The looney left stuff going on elsewhere? Well that's a different story. But Mississippi needed to rid itself of a Confederate emblem on its official state flag. It's not even that progressive. At all.

Did football stuff get it changed? Probably. Joe Frank Sanderson helped too, along with many other influential leaders around the state. And the current political climate in the country. These things were just the straw that broke the camel's back. Don't make it out to be more than it is. It got done and it was the right thing to do. All races have to live here together, if you don't like it, leave. Many already have, and more might do just that. But some may also move back now.

Will the flag supporters mobilize? I'm sure they will, but they don't have the numbers who are willing to put themselves out there. I think more than anything, this whole 'climate' has tapped into people subconscious bias, and that is not going to change. No matter how much each side wants it to. Will it come to some type of real conflict? I hope not, but it might. Better be careful how far you push people, they only will take so much.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:59 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
According to the media, the new flag has to display the words "In God We Trust". Isn't that setting up a battle with the anti-religious crowd?

Old 07-02-2020, 05:14 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Guys, the flag needed to be changed. Even the people who did not want it changed were only doing so because of the chip on the shoulder about people telling them what to do. The 2001 vote was not even a binding vote; the legislature just used that to get the issue off THEIR backs and onto the "people".

Progressivism always wins, when it's righteous. And on this issue, it is. The majority of people in Mississippi know this. The looney left stuff going on elsewhere? Well that's a different story. But Mississippi needed to rid itself of a Confederate emblem on its official state flag. It's not even that progressive. At all.

Did football stuff get it changed? Probably. Joe Frank Sanderson helped too, along with many other influential leaders around the state. And the current political climate in the country. These things were just the straw that broke the camel's back. Don't make it out to be more than it is. It got done and it was the right thing to do. All races have to live here together, if you don't like it, leave. Many already have, and more might do just that. But some may also move back now.

Will the flag supporters mobilize? I'm sure they will, but they don't have the numbers who are willing to put themselves out there. I think more than anything, this whole 'climate' has tapped into people subconscious bias, and that is not going to change. No matter how much each side wants it to. Will it come to some type of real conflict? I hope not, but it might. Better be careful how far you push people, they only will take so much.
I for one was totally ecstatic when they flag come down. Let the redneck be mad. I dont care.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
According to the media, the new flag has to display the words "In God We Trust". Isn't that setting up a battle with the anti-religious crowd?
Good point. I would argue that there isn't much of an anti-religious crowd in MS, and that wording is already on the MS State Seal, Florida Flag and on US currency.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:28 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
Is there a state or Federal law that requires Mississippi (or any state) to have a state flag at all? I'm guessing that if EVERY state flag went away tomorrow, 99% of Americans wouldn't even notice or care.

Last edited by Slater; 07-02-2020 at 05:40 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 07:47 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Is there a state or Federal law that requires Mississippi (or any state) to have a state flag at all? I'm guessing that if EVERY state flag went away tomorrow, 99% of Americans wouldn't even notice or care.
Nice observation.
Yesterday I just learned that our town of 30,000 has a city flag!
Who KNEW?! (who cares?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi