Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:00 PM

22 posts, read 156,113 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to the Columbus/Starkville area to be closer to my family. Can anyone give me some recommendations for good schools in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 AM

11 posts, read 60,691 times
Starkville city schools are o.k. and if you're looking for private school there is also Starkville academy. I'm not too familiar with either.....any ideas bulldog fans?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 18,993 times
I hate to talk bad about the town that I loved so much while going to MSU, but after I graduated, I worked as a substitute teacher in Starkville until I could figure out grad school stuff. I have to say that I was very unimpressed with the public schools. Not because of the teachers, but because of the students. Student behavior as a whole, was as far as I am concerned, unacceptable. Even when I talked to other teachers to ask how I could get the students to mind so that the ones that wanted to learn could do so, very few had any suggestions for they hadn't figured it out either. As for other districts in that area, I have no idea.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 PM

114 posts, read 602,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTARHIT View Post
I am thinking about moving to the Columbus/Starkville area to be closer to my family. Can anyone give me some recommendations for good schools in that area?
There are a couple of reasonably good school districts in Lowndes County, which would be New Hope and Caledonia. As far as I know, they are the best public schools in the Golden Triangle area. Both school districts are on the east side of the county, so it would be a 30-45 minute drive to Starkville, depending on where you lived.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:35 PM

25 posts, read 107,161 times
I would suggest New Hope and Caledonia. I went to both schools threw middle and elementary school and it was a good school. I would not recommend Columbus or Starkville public schools. Lots of gangs, drugs, ect. I've heard good things about Starkville Academy if you can afford it.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:20 AM

227 posts, read 292,731 times
there is also Heritage Academy in Columbus.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
there is also Heritage Academy in Columbus.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Had a few friends I grew up with went there. Real good school.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 17,513 times
Default Stay away from Starkville Academy

Please stay away from Starkville Academy. The public schools in Starkville are much better. My child went to the academy for 1/2 the semester and when I placed her in public school she was so far behind she had to be tutored to catch up. You will also be nickled and dimed all the time. It seems to me all the money goes to the football team. Check it out before you sign in the dotted line.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,753 times
Am a native of Caledonia and call Columbus home. To the person (Red123) who responded, I'd like to make 2 corrections: you did not go "threw" and while referring to two schools, you referred to them as "it".
Hope they taught you better, and that you considered yourself rushed to get your message posted, therefore did not catch your errors.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyAan View Post
Am a native of Caledonia and call Columbus home. To the person (Red123) who responded, I'd like to make 2 corrections: you did not go "threw" and while referring to two schools, you referred to them as "it".
Hope they taught you better, and that you considered yourself rushed to get your message posted, therefore did not catch your errors.
Lol, nice catch. It was one of those speedy replies that I didn't double check afterwards. I was always more of the science type anyways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi