Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:23 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,151 times

Advertisements

cmcguy2000, please don't just say something like that without giving a reason. Do you think it's a bad area? If so, you need to say so. It doesn't help anybody just to say something vague and run off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Its ok, Mississippienne. I am not to worried. Some people breed negativity, and its too late now.. so I will make the best of it. The people we are renting from have been very nice and helpful. And its a foot in the door there. So we are looking forward to it.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 AM

275 posts, read 1,124,978 times
I might be wrong, and hope I am, but that area has had drug problems in the past. not as bad as the other side of 49...
Sorry If I sound gloom and doom, but you need to be aware for your kids.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 PM

I spoke with the Police Dept.. the Chamber of Commerce, and they say its an ok neiborhood, no major crime to worry about... no drug issues. But if so, We can always move once we get a foot in the door.. hey I will break an rental agreement in a second for the saftey of my kids and family. And not feel bad about it in the leaste if I was lied too to get me to rent there. But thanks for your concern.. I will keep it in mind, and keep an eye out.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM

I Hope it works out.... Hey I have been wrong before.
When you get moved let us know how you are doing.

As far as stuff for kids, Crossroads Mall (I-10 & 49) has Big Cinema
GulfPark Waterpark will be open. (get season pass) H20 slides ect.
a bunch of families go to dirt track races off menge ave.
and I always love to go fishing.

Check Beau Rivage for a Security job, Good company to work for.
my wife worked there for 3 years.

Last edited by cncguy2000; 03-09-2007 at 11:09 PM..

Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 PM

You know my son wants to go fishing.. but I dont know how. I have not fished since I was 9. Hope there is some way to learn. =)

I will let you know how it is..

What are Dirt Track Races? Is Edgewater mall open yet?

the water park sounds like fun.. We have wet and wild here.. cant wait to see what this water park is like.

My wife wants to know how the trees are there, she remembers them being green and lots of them.. I told her I would bet there are a few less now thanks to katrina.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:36 PM

I can show you how to fish, PM me when you get here.
Imagine a bunch of cars with wings racing around a dirt track oval.
mall has been open.
still have trees, empty now, but they will be back, less missing oaks on 90, contractor hired to clean 90, bulldozed most of them before someone told him not to.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Ok, we call it clay track racin here, we have speedway park out montana street.

Like stock cars and midgets and so forth right? If so thats pretty cool... sounds like something I can take my family too.

Ok I kinda have an idea.. but my wife has been asking me about this more and more as were about to leave for the area.. what do we do in the case of a hurricane? do we board up? and stay in the house, do we find a shelter, or do we leave.. never been in a hurricane.. I have been though a torando once and I have to tell you that was no fun.

I am one to leave for higher ground and grab a hotel room like in Jackson or something.. But some may say just hit your local shelter. And some may say grab a hotel room in town or stay in your home if you think its safe.. so not being raised in the area, we are unsure of the proceedures.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:49 PM

This is what I have done... Just me you have to decide for yourself...

Board up windows. (it only takes me 1/2 hr, boards are precut and hardware isin tupperware bowl.)
pick up stuff that will fly around yard....
I hide cars in between houses.
if cat 3 or higher I would leave for north west direction, 200 miles or more.
you have to watch where it goes when close to landfall, they curve northeast when hitting land.
bring extra gas and food in case you get stuck in traffic.
thats a start...

Old 03-10-2007, 05:50 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,151 times
Definitely leave if a hurricane comes through, you do NOT want to be in its path. Much much MUCH more destructive than a tornado. However, the Gulf Coast seems to get nailed hard one every 30 years -- Camille and now Katrina. So maybe we're safe for a couple more decades *crosses fingers*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi