Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,608 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I visited Missoula in August, and now have jumped in here from Chicago to live for the winter + "spring". Until June, likely. Yeah, I know...I'll be coming in at the worst time and leaving at the best.

Either way, I'd like to give some thoughts to maybe a few of the younger folks wondering about moving here.

First off, I'd like to say that there's a good music scene. I've already seen two or three bands that could compete with Chicago's dirty, noisey, underground locals. Many more I haven't even caught yet. The venues are pretty decent. Top Hat, the Ole Beck VFW, "Badlander complex", all solid options. There are more, too. It's too bad "The Lab", a DIY basement spot, just closed. However, there's a defunct warehouse-ish type spot re-opening soon. Viva noisey RNR.

The area, well, I like 10 miles away from downtown toward US Highway 10. I like it. It's chill. Downtown is kind of a wacky layout, but coming from the simple Chicago grid system, that's a given. Lots of one-way streets and weird cut-offs. It seems there's a decent amount of construction, and I've heard your saying, but at least they're out there getting **** done, unlike Chicago (ever).

Missoula, and Montana is BEAUTIFUL. Even just a short drive down any road, to a fishing access spot, and you'll feel like there's nobody around for 100 miles. Short drives to amazing spots as well. If you're looking for some "bon iver makes his record in a cabin in wisconsin" type ****, Montana is your place.

The scene is a lot of bro'd out college kids, they all really want you to know how many guns they have. Lots of yelling and douchery. However, it's not all bad. A ton of genuinely great folks, many of who know my friends in Chicago even. It's nice. Any college town has this mix I suppose. Add in Montana's love of drinking, and well, you know... Besides, you can always go to the tiny local bar and talk to the older folks. Great stories. "old montana" Yep.

Wages seem low, yes, but if you're younger, you shouldn't have too big of a problem. Bartend, work at Best Buy, DirecTV, restaurants. to be honest with you, Chicago isn't much better.

The food is decent. I'd try to go local whenever possible, and even then, it's a mixed bag. I realize I'm jaded coming from Chicago, but try to jam on the local **** that you can't get anywhere else. Local beef, fish. Huckleberry everything. Pies from your mom n' pop. Stew season is coming. Mmm.

All in all, I've really, really enjoyed the scattered month and a half I've spent here so far. I can only seeing it get better, even though the grey days of winter lie ahead, I'll make the best of them. Snowmobiling and snowshoeing seem epic. I'm sure there's amazing sledding hills. So...yeah! Thought this may help.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Drive up to see the Missions before winter sets in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
View detailed profiles of: