Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 PM

35 posts, read 75,862 times

Advertisements

A move may be in order for me and my family. We presently live in South Carolina and
currently have two front-wheel drive cars.

My wife will likely stay in the local area, is a stay at home mom, and will not have to drive
if weather is too severe. That is until the fall when our son begins school. Even then only
back and forth to school.

The extent of my potential job isn't fully clear. The job as described would be in Missoula,
but possible expansions are in place which could include trips to Billings and Glendive.
I would also need to travel in and around the local area. I guess you could say the roads
less traveled.

She has a front-wheel drive Honda Oddyssey Minivan and I have a Honda Accord.

Will either of us, be okay with the vehicles we have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 PM

67 posts, read 159,247 times
Your wife's car should be fine. Two things give me pause about your car. You said that you might be driving longer distances and on "roads less traveled". First, driving greater distances and on out of the way roads makes it more likely that you will hit a large animal such as a deer or an elk. Some say it is not a matter of if, but when. Personally, I have hit two deer. You will most likely be fine, but your small car will probably not make it. Also, some of those "roads less traveled" are privately owned and maintained, such as our road. During heavy snow, they may or may not be cleared depending on the residents needs, so your car having such a low clearance may not be able to get through. My daily driver is a Lexus LS and sometimes I am unable to get off of our road in the winter. But, we have back up Toyota Land Cruisers so no worries. Other than that, I think that with studded snow tires (I swear by them) and chains in the trunk as back up for mountain passes, you should be fine. There are plenty of small cars throughout MSO and the Valley.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Thanks for your help My wife is a bit of a nervous nelly so we are looking at a 4WD/AWD if possible for her.
Might be able to get a deal on a very nice Toyota Highlander hopefully. Nonetheless, if it's too bad she probably
won't drive anyway.

For me I would stay on main roads, Interstate 90 for one. The other roads would be secondary roads, but
no unpaved roads, etc. I've always lived on the East Coast, but I have done some traveling around the West,
but never lived there full-time. I'm looking at a Subaru Outback for me, likely to give me all the offroad
abilities I would need. Would love a truck, but mileage is too low for a lot of driving.

Hoping to find out in the next couple of weeks if the job is offered and the money is good. Housing in
Missoula is quite a bit higher than in the Upstate area of South Carolina.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awraynor View Post
Hoping to find out in the next couple of weeks if the job is offered and the money is good. Housing in
Missoula is quite a bit higher than in the Upstate area of South Carolina.

Yes, sticker shock is HUGE when you move to Western Montana from The South. It is not just housing, it is most everything except gasoline.

Again, I think that your wife's car is perfectly adequate for in-town driving. I can't imagine needing a 4wd just to get around MSO. Unless she just wants a new car, in that case, you should buy her one!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 PM

You hit the nail on the head. Her Odyssey has been flawless, but 3 years and she wants a new car.
I inherited that habit, but otherwise I guess I'll keep her.

I noticed Missoula has below average income for the state, but higher than average housing cost.
Is it really worth it?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
If you do decide to select another vehicle, the Subaru is a great choice, but keep the following in mind.

Rear wheel drive: A few select cars, both rear wheels have power to them, but the norm is only one rear wheel will have power to it. Put some weight in the trunk and it can be better than front wheel drive. If you are going up a steep hill, and start to spin, you won't loose steering, where a front wheel drive will loose steering.

Front wheel drive: Only one front wheel will have power to it. For people just learning, or inexperienced in snow, it is the best choice between front and rear.

Four Wheel drive: One front, and one rear wheel will have power to them. They work on alternate sides. Right front and left rear, or left front and right rear. A few select vehicles might have positrac where both front will have power, or both back, or all four. This is by far, your best choice in deeper snow and off pavement.

All Wheel Drive: Only one wheel has power to it. They are computer controlled and the computer will insure the best wheel has that power. Outstanding vehicle on packed snow and ice, or small amounts of snow of no more than 4-6 inches. In the case of Honda Pilot, they sell a 4 wheel drive version, or an AWD version.

You can't go wrong with a Subaru though.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I drive that route often, on 90, and to Glendive. My personal preference, is a slightly larger car than an Outback, because of the wind. I just feel safer in a larger car. A few weeks ago the wind on I 90 was crazy, I saw cars literally buffeted around, trucks were on the side of the road. I was perfectly fine in my Honda SUV...so, something to think about.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 PM

Well for my wife I negotiated what I thought was a pretty good deal on a loaded 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4WD.
It will be a great car for her here or anywhere else.

I am waiting just a bit for myself until the job is a guarantee. I am liking the Honda Ridgeline. Like a car with 4 comfortable seats with just enough bed to haul some stuff. Like many cars they aren't exactly giving those away and the gas mileage isn't that great.

I wouldn't travel weekly as I understand and when I did the mileage should be reimbursed.

The Toyota dealer wanted to try to sell me a car/suv/truck today as well. Told him I would wait just a bit before I decide for me. Gave me almost $8,000 off the list for the 13 Highlander since the 14 models are coming on the lot.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM

That is great. Getting a new vehicle is always an experience. I looked at a picture of one on the internet, looks like a good vehicle for MSO. I hope that your wife really likes it.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 PM

They had to get it from another dealer in Tennessee and it will be ready tomorrow. When we pick it up I'll return the loaner car they gave me. She'll get her new Highlander and I'll drive her Honda minivan until I figure out something for myself.
She laughs at me, but that's a nice minivan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula