Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times

Advertisements

Found this on a different Forum

Missouri has already enacted Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
to sum it up:

In Missouri if police want to see your ID papers to prove legal status they can.

In Missouri English is the official language.

In Missouri sanctuary cities are illegal.

In Missouri E-verify is the law of the land.

In Missouri no legal status no driver's license.

Missouri also bans in-state tuition aid for illegal aliens at state junior colleges.

So what gives here? Why the double standard?

“June 21, 2010

Why sue Arizona and not Missouri?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
to sum it up:

In Missouri if police want to see your ID papers to prove legal status they can.

Missouri also bans in-state tuition aid for illegal aliens at state junior colleges.

“June 21, 2010

One reason: politics!

Three differences: AZ has a Republical governor. MO's is a Democrat. An AZ senator ran against him in the general election!

Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
to sum it up:

Someone needs to tell Mayor Funkhouser(KCMO) this. Kansas City is a defacto "sanctuary" city and the KCMO city council passed a resolution condeming the AZ law.

“June 21, 2010

^^^Comment above in color.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
My guess is a combination of being the most politically divided state in the country, and the fact that many people don't even know the law exists. I also don't hear much in the way of law enforcment having issues as well.

Probobly the biggest reason is that there is a below average percentage of illegal immigrants in the state. I wouldn't be suprised if they are also more likely to not be Hispanic than average and are more people overstaying visas. The issue also tends to be much more muted in Missouri due to it being more seen as an issue in other places since immigration of all forms (especially of Hispanics) are still rather minor. (Though it has a significant chance of changing this decade)

Old 07-04-2010, 10:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
My guess is a combination of being the most politically divided state in the country, and the fact that many people don't even know the law exists. I also don't hear much in the way of law enforcment having issues as well.

Probobly the biggest reason is that there is a below average percentage of illegal immigrants in the state. I wouldn't be suprised if they are also more likely to not be Hispanic than average and are more people overstaying visas. The issue also tends to be much more muted in Missouri due to it being more seen as an issue in other places since immigration of all forms (especially of Hispanics) are still rather minor. (Though it has a significant chance of changing this decade)
On what source do you base your statment about Missouri having a "below average" percentage of illegal aliens?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
On what source do you base your statment about Missouri having a "below average" percentage of illegal aliens?
General observation. A number of places in the country have at least 3-5% or more of the population are illegal immigrants. I saw an estimate that has Missouri at about 1% or less. Though some of the numbers I have seen are based on 2000 estimates that puts the per capita numbers for the state near the lowest end. I just typed in number of illegal immigrants by state.

I do admit the total numbers overall and by state are likely to be in flux. I wouldn't be suprised if the number has shrunk significantly from 2007.

Also consider the sorts of jobs that are normally filled by illegal immigrants. In the St. Louis area for example they tend to filled by people born in the area, although I do notice that many tend to be older as well so something will have to give there.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Here's one source. You decide.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 06:51 AM..

Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Here's one source. You decide.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
It is even more telling when you look at the per capita data. Ever state that borders it except Kentucky has at least twice the per capita number of illegal immigrants. Though the caveat is that its using 2000 numbers and the overall number of illegal immigrants has risen, peaked around 2007 and then dropped some since then to about 2005 numbers. I still wouldn't be suprised if Missouri is still near the bottom per capita.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 06:51 AM..

Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 AM

694 posts, read 1,357,200 times
The Lighter Side

Never worried to much about illegal Mexican's in Missouri. They few that make it here tend to live quiet lives, much like their white neighbors. I am far more worried about another sneaky bunch living among us - slowly eating away at our souls and our democratic future. No, its not the Can's, nor the Jews, nor the Chinese, no outside military power, nor any of the minorities slowly interbreeding the white man into minority status. No my friends, this quiet group has entered our country under the guise of being fellow members of the white race, and we have welcomed them with open arms. They learn our language and most don't even keep an accent we can mock or admire. They even have their own day - October 6!

They fought against the Colonial's in the Revolutionary War as hired guns to the King of England, which means when the war was over, they didn't surrender, they didn't sign a peace treaty with us, they just left. Sorry we killed some of you, we'll be going home now!! What is up with that??!!

In Missouri, they were "the" illegal immigrant of the mid 19th century, mostly located in St Louis, and during the Civil War, were called the "damn Dutch" by the southern sympathizing Missouri State Guard troops. Ok, they really sucked in their first Missouri battle, but helped stack the Union numbers, much to the chagrin of the Southern faction of the Missouri government.

And in the last century, they were able to start two World Wars, a feat no other country has ever been able to pull off. Yes, yes. I am talking about the Germans. Even Caesar was scared of these rascals - calling them the Barbarian's.

I regret that I too have found a German ancestor in my lineage. When I give blood to the ravenous mosquito - I mutter to myself "Be gone you German DNA!!" But every time a rattlesnake takes me by surprise, the darn chicken dance I instinctively take, lets me know those sneaky little chromosomes are still there.

Yes, I do understand the argument that German American immigrants have contributed greatly to our country's success and unlike most immigrants, aren't constantly throwing their "heritage" in our face. Names like Boeing, Chrysler, Anheuser, Coors, Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, Busch, Firestone, Heinz, Strauss, Westinghouse, Weyerhaeuser, Fruehauf, Hershey, among many others have helped make the US an economic powerhouse. And names likes Dwight David Eisenhower, Albert Einstein, George Armstrong Custer, John Pershing, Chester Nimitz, Herbert Hoover, Donald Rumsfeld, among others have helped keep us safe and helped make us the greatest military power on earth. Even the Babe - as in Ruth - was German American.

So what if they are about as "Mom, Baseball, and Apple Pie" as anyone can be. I ask you fellow American's, most of whom probably have some German blood in you, can we not do better than sauerkraut and warm beer??

Think about this in closing. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (now that's one German American who never lost his accent) said these famous words once that symbolizes the hope, the dream, the inspiration for the 'give me your tired, your poor, your huddled' masses - "Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." I get chills every time I hear those inspirational words.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri