Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,540 times

Advertisements

Many of the common questions (or fears) about Missouri are weather related. Here are a few video's from YouTube to give out of stater's a taste of the variety of our weather. These were all filmed in Missouri.

Springfield weatherman gets chased by a Marionville tornado (this one stayed on the ground from Pierce City to Battlefield) along the Hwy 60 corridor

YouTube - Multiple Vortex Tornado Near Marionville, Missouri on May 4th, 2003

Don't they call 80 mph winds a hurricane in some parts of the country?

YouTube - Powerful Squall Line - Joplin, MO

YouTube - Super storm slams Laclede County MO

A postcard perfect snow shower

YouTube - Snow in Springfield, Mo.

Did I mention tornado's?

YouTube - May 13 Kirksville tornado from TornadoLive!

And then the ice cometh and the power goeth away

YouTube - January 12th-14th, 2007 Ice Storm Springfield, Missouri

Want to know what an ant feels like?

YouTube - 5/4/03 Battlefield, MO Tornado

Frozen moisture variety

YouTube - 6 minutes of hail up to golf ball size which shreds apart trees 6-7-09 Gallatin, MO

When the moisture isn't as frozen

YouTube - Springfield Flood May 26, 2010

Nothing like the harmonic sounds of sirens waking you up from a deep sleep.

YouTube - Tornado Greene County Springfield, MO 2

Some cry baby complaining about a 50 degree drop during a single day.

YouTube - Why I hate Missouri Weather

This guy gets it!!

YouTube - Gotta love that Missouri weather

Class dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
I'd say this is a fairly accurate representation of what Missouri weather is all about. Too bad the foot of snow in February 2010 was not included. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-21-2010, 11:10 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times
We had a pretty good storm blow through Columbia last night. I'm just crazy enough that, while my wife is headed for the basement (I mean come on, it was just some wind and lightning, then 4 inches of rain in about an hour), I went out on the porch and watched it come in from the northwest. Pretty awesome.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
Foot of snow in February, haha try three feet plus in one storm. Really the winters here, while there can be super cold snaps, aren't that bad overall.

Tornados, yeah I just don't like those.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,890 times
The frequent thunder storms are one of my favorite things living in the midwest. I have an elevated, unobstructed view to the west. It's pretty awesome to see the black clouds and wall of water heading straight for you.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:45 AM

Have to agree with moor. Watching thunderstorms on the horizon at night are my favorites. Some of the old timers call it 'heat lightning', but the constant flashing of lightning silhouetting the horizon, it's almost like a huge battle is happening far enough away you can't hear it, but you can see the flashes of explosions.

Not specific to Missouri but if the storm is not coming your way, you can drop your guard and enjoy the light show

YouTube - Heat lightning storm

Of course if you happen to be the poor people "under" that storm, it's a little less serene and a tad more nerve racking.

YouTube - Springfield, MO.

Last edited by SW Missouri Dave; 08-22-2010 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: correct url

Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,664 times
Dave, thanks for posting those weather videos for the benefit of out-of-staters. If they just keep one person from moving to Missouri, all the trouble of compiling that post was worth it. Thanks. You are doing good work.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Whether it keeps someone from moving to Missouri or not, is up to the individual. When I was living in Florida I would watch any video I could from Missouri - no matter what kind (and Youtube was in its infancy then). Not sure if it helped me get over the homesickness, or just made it worse.

So I have a deep sympathize with those Missourian's who are 'dis-placed' and missing home.

Of all the things that made me the most homesick, I think it was the song of the (well I can't tell you or I would spoil the test) #3

YouTube - Bird Songs Quiz

Not sure why but this little bird song sure could make me think of home.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:00 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,890 times
for me it's the mourning dove

sound here
Bird Songs and Sound of Mourning Dove

or the cardinal
http://www.birdjam.com/birdsong.php?id=3

Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,446 times
The '03 Tornado was in a line that came through had an F3 that took out Stockton ran 75 miles on the ground headed for our place.We was in a closet Praying.It killed two people just before it got to us,split into smaller ones,went around us,regrouped killed a Man just past us.

The '07 Ice Storm the video don't do it justice,we was up all night hearing trees falling and limbs.Couldn't even think about getting out for days.Didn't have no Electric for two weeks.Once we did get out didn't do no good if you didn't have cash because no Cash registers or ATM's worked,thats if you could find anything to buy,plus what you did find they jacked the price way up.

Surprised didn't see the Great Flood of '93 I was involved in evacuation on that.

Hey wait a few minutes it will change

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri