Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times

Advertisements

Are there such properties in S/W MO where practicing with a handgun, rifle, and/or shotgun on your property is possible? I enjoy shooting sports, but it would be nice to do it on my own property instead of hoofin' it to a range.

I understand that in more populated areas, or within the confines of a municipality, it would be impossible to practice due to safety concerns and various laws. However, once in the county on acerage, I imagine the rules would be different. At least that's been my experience elsewhere in the country.

My vision would be property that backs up to BLM or Forest land, or somewhere that has a mountain/hill behind it. There would be no neighbors to endanger and any hill would provide the appropriate backdrop.

Does anyone know if such a thing is possible, and legal, in a County such as Christian, Stone, or Taney? If you have a handle on any County regulations that would affect such activities, such as minimum acerage or distance from inhabited dwellings, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks again for considering such an oddball question.

Last edited by garth; 01-31-2007 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 PM

76 posts, read 394,527 times
That's actually a good question, I am curious to read what others have to say about this.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 AM

100 posts, read 494,143 times
I can speak for Christian County. In Ozark and Nixa specifically, there are laws against discharging firearms (no surprise there, it isn't legal to even shoot fireworks in city limits.)

Out in the county, you can do pretty much what you want, as far as I know. Although I have never seen a specific law allowing it, people hunt in the county all of the time, and my kids and I used go go shooting on a regular basis,

I have also sold land to police officers that set up shooting ranges. There is a lot of great land for this in southern Christian county - some that backs up to thousands of acres of Busick national forest land.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
I shoot in my backyard all the time.I have a Shooting Range down the road.Went there one time.I was #80 in line. I said the heck with this.Went home did all the shooting I wanted to.

Hillman

Old 02-04-2007, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 24,006 times
I live in Lawrence county and we shoot extensively. In fact, my late husband chose our building site because the ravine behind the house was a natural back stop. As he was a deputy sheriff, I'd guess there are no laws about this kind of thing here. Or maybe it just isn't enforced. I also have a place in Stone County and I'm seriously doubting there are any such laws about shooting on your own property in the country... it's just that kind of county LOL!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:51 PM

76 posts, read 394,527 times
I'm interested in a home in Marshfield so I wonder what the laws are in Webster County?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:46 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I live in unincorporated Greene County and everyone shoots around here. My neighbor is often to be found in his underwear with a rifle taking out crows in the summer (I don't pay attention now..the visual was enough for me to make sure I give him his privacy!).
My other neighbors down the road shoot for target practice.
You can do pretty much as you wish out in the country.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:33 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
You can shoot anywhere in Missouri except in cities that prohibit it. As long as you can safely shoot, you are fine.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM

137 posts, read 610,100 times
Do you think that You can shoot in your backyard Garth? I mean with three acres you have the room but is your area Ok for that? When I get situated I plan to have a range at my place. Your welcome to come out and shoot when you have the time (by the way, congrats on the new house, I missed the multiple page thing when I posted last on that thread, didn't know you already had it. Good luck and happy housewarming!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 17,316 times
I live in Kirbyville and have a range on the side of my house.
85 yards with a shooting bench and adequate bulldozed backstop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri