Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,006 times

Advertisements

It appears we will be visiting your wonderful state in April. I've never been to Missouri before and I'm finding so many places to check out on your state travel website. Obviously we can't fit them all into one week! So please help me narrow down my options and decide which portion of the state to focus in on.

We'll be there from Saturday to Saturday with two young boys, ourselves, and my husband's parents...they are mid 60s.

My MIL suggested the trip as she'd like to visit Branson. I have minimal interest in seeing the shows, but it looks like there are other options around...like Silver Dollar City and getting out to do some hiking.

We can fly into anywhere, but I was thinking about St. Louis since I've never seen the arch or the Mississippi River. Maybe spend two nights there? And then head to Branson?

Or would we be better off flying into Kansas City or even Little Rock?

We've also never been spelunking....I see there are numerous caves/caverns around. Which would you recommend with small children?

Which parks or areas have good family hikes? I can carry the two year old in my carrier, but the 3 year old is over 50lbs so he needs to be able to walk most or all of it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Kansas City Zoo and the new Aquarium at Crown Center if you make it to Kansas City.

Branson:KIDS will love this

Shepherd of the Hills Fish Hatchery

The Shepherd of the Hills hatchery complex occupies 211 acres of land with 84 acres being currently developed. The developed acres occupied by the hatchery include a Conservation Center that receives 250,000 visitors annually and provides a vast amount of information to the public with a focus on fisheries. Also included in the developed area is a hatchery building with various support buildings. The water supply to Shepherd of the Hills is obtained primarily from Table Rock Lake via gravity flow and is augmented by two wells and a raceway eductor driven, partial recirculation system.

Shepherd of the Hills Fish Hatchery Information | Missouri Department of Conservation

Elephant park near Columbia Mo. Elephant sized rocks.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 AM

versatile - thanks!

i'm assuming those rocks are glacial??

as for branson, is there a show you recommend for preschoolers? when i search, i am overwhelmed by the number of shows available.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
In St. Louis there are so many free activities for little kids it's ridiculous but some of my favorites are Grant's Farm and the Zoo. You could head out of town a bit and hit Meramec Caverns as well, which is a lot of fun and very easier with little kids!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
versatile - thanks!

i'm assuming those rocks are glacial??

as for branson, is there a show you recommend for preschoolers? when i search, i am overwhelmed by the number of shows available.
sorry i don't do Branson. Silver Dollar city for the kids almost certain.

I forgot World's of Fun in Kansas City or St Louis and Oceans of Fun in Kansas City.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:37 AM

132 posts, read 389,443 times
Perhaps Versatile is thinking of Elephant Rocks State Park, which is in the Southeast region of the state, and a great place to visit for all ages: Elephant Rocks State Park | Missouri State Parks

It's also an 1.5 hour drive from my favorite cave, Onondaga. This is a big cave. I think the tour lasted close to 2 hours. Wee little ones might get tired, but I was there when my youngest was two, and she did okay. Onondaga Cave State Park | Missouri State Parks

I live in St. Louis, so yes I would recommend seeing the Arch if you're here. We also have wonderful FREE museums that your kids would enjoy, including our world famous zoo (you just pay for parking and optional attractions inside the zoo).

To review, you could fly into St. Louis, stay two days, go to Elephant Rocks and Onondaga in one day, then drive to Branson from there. Not sure if you'd have time to swing by KC, though. Good luck making an itinerary!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks guys! I come from a very small state (NH) so I'm never quite sure how much ground we can cover in a day. I get get through numerous states here in one afternoon...ha ha ha.

I can't believe the zoo is free! That's awesome!

As for the Branson part...I have little interest, but my inlaws do. So I'm thinking they could do the "show" thing and we can take the boys to parks/amusements/outdoors.

Is there an area of St. Louis we should avoid as far as lodging goes? I'd like to be able to walk around in the evening. My initial thought is the Residence Inn at 525 S. Jefferson. I like the extra room you get.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM

Oh, and we MUST do Grant's Farm. My younger son was due on President's Day. We named him Grant, after Ulysses. No specific reason, just liked the name!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Thanks guys! I come from a very small state (NH) so I'm never quite sure how much ground we can cover in a day. I get get through numerous states here in one afternoon...ha ha ha.

I can't believe the zoo is free! That's awesome!

As for the Branson part...I have little interest, but my inlaws do. So I'm thinking they could do the "show" thing and we can take the boys to parks/amusements/outdoors.

Is there an area of St. Louis we should avoid as far as lodging goes? I'd like to be able to walk around in the evening. My initial thought is the Residence Inn at 525 S. Jefferson. I like the extra room you get.
It's not the worst spot, but it's not going to be in a very walkable area -- they call it downtown, but it's not really at all downtown. It's sort of in an industrial no man's land. Something in the heart of downtown would be better -- the Drury on 4th St would be a good bet -- if you haven't stayed in a Drury chain hotel before I bet you'd like it. Free hot food in the mornings and the evenings, free wifi -- lots of freebies, which is great for families!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 PM

I've never been to a Drury hotel before. The rates are very affordable. I do enjoy when breakfast is included...makes mornings with kids so much easier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri