Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:01 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,240 times

Advertisements

Now that I moved into my new place. I keep hearing siren now and then. I panick everytime I hear one. I am not sure if this is theTornando Siren Warnings. Are Tornando Siren loud that the whole community can hear and have a different type of sound then a Siren from the firetruck? I am not on the tv as much only at night and the computer as well ( I know cables gives warnings out). So is there anything else I can do to help distinguish from a Tornado Siren warning from the emergency sirens?

Kareybear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,449 times
KB, we have a fairly inexpensive weather radio that can be programmed for just the areas you wish to monitor. It has worked out very well for us and workes even if the power goes out. Less than 40 bones if'n I remember correctly

Old 09-09-2007, 02:30 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Easy..tornado sirens are quieter...they don't scream like firetruck sirens...they are rather monotone and basically just hum kind of hypnotically...they start rather quiet and slowly get louder and louder as time goes on. Fire truck sirens are MUCH louder and higher in pitch and their sound frequency changes all the time. Make sure when you hear one that they are not just testing it...look out at the sky to see if it is clear blue and pea green...if it is pea green or VERY dark for that time of today get in a basement IMMEDIATELY. Those are the kinds of conditions you should expect to see when a tornado near your area or in the process of forming. Do not photograph the tornado by any means. My father had a friend in Joplin who tried to do that and it was the last thing he ever photographed. Tornadoes will murder those trying to photograph it at the crime scene hehehe.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:13 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
KB, we have a fairly inexpensive weather radio that can be programmed for just the areas you wish to monitor. It has worked out very well for us and workes even if the power goes out. Less than 40 bones if'n I remember correctly
I have one of those works great. It's a Midland I got at Walmart for about $30

Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Easy..tornado sirens are quieter...they don't scream like firetruck sirens...they are rather monotone and basically just hum kind of hypnotically...they start rather quiet and slowly get louder and louder as time goes on. Fire truck sirens are MUCH louder and higher in pitch and their sound frequency changes all the time. Make sure when you hear one that they are not just testing it...look out at the sky to see if it is clear blue and pea green...if it is pea green or VERY dark for that time of today get in a basement IMMEDIATELY. Those are the kinds of conditions you should expect to see when a tornado near your area or in the process of forming. Do not photograph the tornado by any means. My father had a friend in Joplin who tried to do that and it was the last thing he ever photographed. Tornadoes will murder those trying to photograph it at the crime scene hehehe.
Tornadoes are very shy and don't like to have their picture taken...

Old 09-09-2007, 06:36 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,453 times
Karey did you ever watch those old Nazi movies when air raids were going to happen ..sort of sounds like that ..depending how close you are thats how loud they are.

just in case I found one for ya

YouTube - Tornado Sirens II

Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Smithville, a town near me sounds a siren on the square every day at noon and 6pm. Someone from Bolivar told me the same thing about that town. My mom grew up in a small town in Illinois and they did the same thing there.
I'm not sure where that idea came from and why. Its not a long siren or anything; just one wail and that's it.

Its the "rrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr " thats about 5 seconds long.

Your town may have one of those, Karey.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
What yah get Da Jammer? Does it work?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I have one of those works great. It's a Midland I got at Walmart for about $30
What does it do? Does lights go off or what?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Karey did you ever watch those old Nazi movies when air raids were going to happen ..sort of sounds like that ..depending how close you are thats how loud they are.

just in case I found one for ya

YouTube - Tornado Sirens II
Thank you for the youtube siren. My kids didn't like the noise to much and it was great to hear it but I would like to hear it where I live.

Quote:
ajf131 Easy..tornado sirens are quieter...they don't scream like firetruck sirens...they are rather monotone and basically just hum kind of hypnotically...they start rather quiet and slowly get louder and louder as time goes on. Fire truck sirens are MUCH louder and higher in pitch and their sound frequency changes all the time. Make sure when you hear one that they are not just testing it...look out at the sky to see if it is clear blue and pea green...if it is pea green or VERY dark for that time of today get in a basement IMMEDIATELY. Those are the kinds of conditions you should expect to see when a tornado near your area or in the process of forming. Do not photograph the tornado by any means. My father had a friend in Joplin who tried to do that and it was the last thing he ever photographed. Tornadoes will murder those trying to photograph it at the crime scene hehehe.
Pee Green Sky?? Opps I mean Pea Green Sky. What does that look like and how can you tell at night as well? You see so much heavy wind here that you think a hurricane is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri