Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:18 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times

Advertisements

Hello friends!

There is a lot of activity that could mean tornadoes in areas of MO tonight. Here are a couple of links to Channel 33, KSPR's weather watches & warnings page along with a link to their weather blog. It only covers SW MO and NW AR so someone else will have to supply other links for other stations and info.

KSPR News | Watches and Warnings (http://www.kspr.com/weather/watchesandwarnings - broken link)

KSPR News | Weather Blog

Also, don't forget that you can go to Welcome to The Weather Underground : Weather Underground and put in your zip code or a "city, state" name to get immediate info. The watches and warnings are found at the very bottom of each town/city's main page.

Okay, praying friends...let's get praying! The rest of you...forewarned is forearmed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,548 times
You can still get tornado warnings this time of year? Man do you ever get a break? We had a big rainstorm here. Lost our electricity a few times during the night. I sit there and think about how I would feel if I were in Mo and this was going on. Terrifed!! Still its will not stop me from moving out but I sure know its going to take me awhile to adjust.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM

902 posts, read 717,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
You can still get tornado warnings this time of year? Man do you ever get a break? We had a big rainstorm here. Lost our electricity a few times during the night. I sit there and think about how I would feel if I were in Mo and this was going on. Terrifed!! Still its will not stop me from moving out but I sure know its going to take me awhile to adjust.
They had a tornado down in Republic and have right now a very hard thunderstorm. We can hear the thunderstorm and our sirens have been going off for the last hour or so.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
I am not certain but I think this is late for tornado warnings. We have had unseasonably warm weather (it's 63 degrees at 7pm) and we have moisture being brought up from the southwest. Also, another front is approaching from the northwest. I think the two are creating the tornado situation. That is totally a guess and I would not be offended if someone corrects me. I've been too busy to listen to the news even though my TV is on and the only thing they're showing is storm tracking and news.

As for your fear if you were here, in your case, it would probably be tempered by your faith. Also, I am just out of range of the storm. You will learn that they "cover all the bases" since they can never be sure where a storm will hit. If your home isn't in the immediate path of the storm, you will probably find yourself so busy praying for the peace and safety of others that you won't have time to fear. I mean, how can you pray for their peace if you don't have peace? I'm sure you agree and can relate to how God gives us grace and provides joy and peace, even...and perhaps especially...in the difficult times of our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
They had a tornado down in Republic and have right now a very hard thunderstorm. We can hear the thunderstorm and our sirens have been going off for the last hour or so.
I saw that, OBaby! You've been in the path of both of the large storm cells tonight. I'm sure my prayers are joining with many others tonight for you and all those in the path of this storm track. We will be looking for reports in the morning to learn how you and so many others fared so please come back and update us.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM

902 posts, read 717,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
I am not certain but I think this is late for tornado warnings. We have had unseasonably warm weather (it's 63 degrees at 7pm) and we have moisture being brought up from the southwest. Also, another front is approaching from the northwest. I think the two are creating the tornado situation. That is totally a guess and I would not be offended if someone corrects me. I've been too busy to listen to the news even though my TV is on and the only thing they're showing is storm tracking and news.

As for your fear if you were here, in your case, it would probably be tempered by your faith. Also, I am just out of range of the storm. You will learn that they "cover all the bases" since they can never be sure where a storm will hit. If your home isn't in the immediate path of the storm, you will probably find yourself so busy praying for the peace and safety of others that you won't have time to fear. I mean, how can you pray for their peace if you don't have peace? I'm sure you agree and can relate to how God gives us grace and provides joy and peace, even...and perhaps especially...in the difficult times of our lives.

I saw that, OBaby! You've been in the path of both of the large storm cells tonight. I'm sure my prayers are joining with many others tonight for you and all those in the path of this storm track. We will be looking for reports in the morning to learn how you and so many others fared so please come back and update us.
Thank you MrsG. They are talking now about Battlefield and West By-Pass.

They also just showed a mobile home in Strafford that they got an ederly woman from. The home was demolished but she is ok. Thank God for that. My prayers are going out for the whole area.

Woman Found in Rubble of Home

Tornado warnings are in effect for the following areas tonight:
western Benton County, Arkansas until 7:45 pm
Laclede County, Missouri until 7:45
north central Christian County until 7:45
Webster County until 8:00
Greene County until 8:00
eastern Lawrence and northwest Christian Counties until 8:15
Pulaski County until 8:30

Public Asked to Stay Away from Strafford

Tornadoes, high winds, hail damage several areas of the Ozarks

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/Ozark-Baby/wwa2.jpg (broken link)

This could be a potentially dangerous situation as the majority of our severe weather may occur overnight tonight when most folks are sleeping. Kevin and I have also been discussing the fact that it is January and a lot of folks do not expect severe weather during this time of the year.

Last edited by Ozark-Baby; 01-07-2008 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Looking at the map, suddenly Harrison, Arkansas looks like a nice place..right between two lakes and no tornado warnings Off to citi-data Harrison Page...

Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Thank you MrsG. They are talking now about Battlefield and West By-Pass.

They also just showed a mobile home in Strafford that they got an ederly woman from. The home was demolished but she is ok. Thank God for that. My prayers are going out for the whole area.

This could be a potentially dangerous situation as the majority of our severe weather may occur overnight tonight when most folks are sleeping. Kevin and I have also been discussing the fact that it is January and a lot of folks do not expect severe weather during this time of the year.
Thanks for all the great info and maps! KY3 is reporting that one man has died. I'm sorry but I didn't hear the details and can't find anything on their website, yet. It won't be any comfort to his family but we'll all be grateful if there aren't any more. You're exactly right...once people are in bed, they're less likely to learn that they are in the path of a dangerous storm. All the more reason to pray, huh? I have a feeling there will be many sleepy people tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Looking at the map, suddenly Harrison, Arkansas looks like a nice place..right between two lakes and no tornado warnings Off to citi-data Harrison Page...
Ummm...BassMan...did you mean Mountain Home? 'Cause, if you were looking at the map that OBaby gave, I don't see the lakes around Harrison. Here's another map of Harrison that might be helpful: Rand McNally - Get a Map Obviously, there are lots of lakes within a reasonable distance from there, anyway!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Wink Chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Keep an eye on Harrison...it's just south of me and we're supposed to get some of this before the night is over...

This weather is so weird. Even the newscasters are saying they've never seen anything like this.

I guess it's always something.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Best to all... and thoughts/wishes are w/ all being affected.

If interested, might check out:
National Data - NOAA's National Weather Service

Or put your zipcode w/in the box top left:
NWS Detroit/Pontiac - Site Map

Another map version, w/ alternative regions:
U.S. Severe Weather Map : Weather Underground

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
The tornado warnings go on all year in Missouri. Off and on. Right now our warning has been lifted and we have a severe thunderstorm and quite a bit of wind. Power has flickered on and off. TV has went off. Out side lights around our area are out. Water on highways fairly dangerous. Just got home from meetings and drove about 30 mph. For me that is pretty close to standing still!!! Love the sound of the thunder tho'. Y'all take care wherever you are. I'm surprised that I still have electricity. Thanks to the 'co-op' I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri