Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 07:03 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times

Advertisements

Just moved to the Kansas City, Missouri metro area at the beginning of June from Minnesota, I own both a Royals and a Cardinals hat but the Cardinals will be my primary team here in Missouri even though I live in the Kansas City area.

Royals are division rivals with the Minnesota Twins and having lived in Minnesota for almost 30 years since I was born in 1992 it would be kind of sacrilegious for me to adopt the Royals as my primary team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 08:20 PM

146 posts, read 152,229 times
They're called the Royals because they are the kings of suckage.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:14 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Royals are on year 7 of a rebuilding program. Pathetic, but we still watch every game on TV.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:25 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
We listen to the Cardinals. They have been carried by the local radio station here in SW Missouri for at least 60 years.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 PM

685 posts, read 767,611 times
Outside of the KC Metro and northwest Missouri, the Cardinals are certainly the dominant MLB team.

Having lived in the Ozarks prior to St. Louis, I can recall people gravitating towards St. Louis. "Going to the big city" always meant going to StL. People often moved up for work or college. For a long time, I-44 was the only freeway and KMOX tuned-in clear. I don't know if it's historical or cultural, but the area feels like the natural hinterland for StL, considering it is the largest metro adjacent to Ozarks. It makes sense that Cards fans are more numerous.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:39 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Just moved to the Kansas City, Missouri metro area at the beginning of June from Minnesota, I own both a Royals and a Cardinals hat but the Cardinals will be my primary team here in Missouri even though I live in the Kansas City area.

Royals are division rivals with the Minnesota Twins and having lived in Minnesota for almost 30 years since I was born in 1992 it would be kind of sacrilegious for me to adopt the Royals as my primary team.
You’d be better off keeping your Twins gear on. You could be the cool transplant or at least always be mistaken for a tourist that way.
Wearing a Cardinals hat around KC just means you’ll be considered one of “those” people. Might as well don a Yankees hat at that point.

It’s a shame the Royals had that 30 year drought. They were always a great franchise previously.
KC’s fan base would likely be much larger if they hadn’t lost a couple generations of potential fans. Now they’re on the verge of doing it again.

Cardinals fans are more numerous because the team is much older and are less prone to epic droughts.

The Ozarks location and culture argument doesn’t seem to matter much when it comes to Chiefs football.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:54 PM

654 posts, read 631,125 times
The Cardinals traditionally had a huge radio network and the Royals, despite their success in the first part of their history did not really make inroads in Missouri among that fan base outside of the KC metro area. Where the Royals picked up fans were Kansas, Nebraska and far western Iowa. Go much east of Higginsville, or south of Harrisonville and it becomes Cardinal fans really quickly. I'm not sure where the Cardinals Royals line is in northern MO, but there are not a large number of people in that area, I suspect once you get much northeast of the KC media market, it would mostly be Cardinals fans, or maybe even *gasp* Cubs fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri