Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:57 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnipps View Post
Not that this'll be important to anyone but me...but Paul Nipps was my grandfather.
That is very cool!

Rockwell Rocks!!!

I also like George Caleb Bingham...the painting below is his rendition of D. Boone bringing settlers thru the Cumberland Gap. A lot of his works center on Missouri during westward expansion.

Here is a good list of his work; you will have to scroll down a little to see the list of paintings and pix of them.
If you study his paintings you will get to see a way of life that is long gone. And of course since he focused on Missouri we have to claim him as a honorary CD member!

George Caleb Bingham - Artist of Missouri and the American Frontier

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 03-03-2008 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,833 times
Great to see all the intererst in Norman Rockwell and the Country Editior. Jack Blanton was my Great Great Grandfather. His fallen son noted by the star was my Great Uncle (my grandfather's brother). My mother still lives in Paris, although not in the newspaper business. My son is named after Jack Blanton. That being his first and middle name. Possible newspaper man in the future??

Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rfan View Post
Any fans out there of this great artist? I think he is the best artist of all time. Hands down. You can have your Picasso's and Da Vinci's, and whoever, but Rockwell was America and it seemed that he could paint any part of it, and make it so believable. I love his work. Anything from innocent kids and their pets to war heroes and beyond. He could depict any town USA in such realism from big city life down to small town America!

This isn't probably the right place to post this, but could be a topic of great discussion!
Maybe not the greatest but certainly one of the most well liked and with painting we all understand and appreciate. For me, there is one picture that stands in my mind but I have never been able to find it anywhere, nor does anyone but me remember it. It was the cover of the Post in about April of 1960. A doctor is giving a shot to a little red haired baby about 6 months old and everyone is more upset than baby. The reason I remember this so well: our daughter is and was a redhead, born in Oct of 1959. It could have almost been her. I remember the one in the vets office also as well as many more.

Nita

Old 08-18-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGirl2 View Post
You're bucking for more rep points, aren't you? Well, my favorite modern day artists are: 1. Norman Rockwell, for same reasons you have stated and 2. Thomas Kinkade, the Painter of Light; his awesome creations absolutely take my breathe away.
Oh yes, Thomas Kinkade as well. These men put on canvas what being American is all about....Well Kinkade the nature versus Rockwell and the people.

Nita

Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe not the greatest but certainly one of the most well liked and with painting we all understand and appreciate. For me, there is one picture that stands in my mind but I have never been able to find it anywhere, nor does anyone but me remember it. It was the cover of the Post in about April of 1960. A doctor is giving a shot to a little red haired baby about 6 months old and everyone is more upset than baby. The reason I remember this so well: our daughter is and was a redhead, born in Oct of 1959. It could have almost been her. I remember the one in the vets office also as well as many more.

Nita
Nita - here are the covers... 1951-1960 (http://www.curtispublishing.com/gallery/1950-1959.htm - broken link) - looks like maybe the one you are referring to might not be an actual cover?
Here is another listing of 'em: Complete List of Norman Rockwell Magazine Covers 1940 Through 1980

Maybe this site or another similar will have this particular painting you're thinking of? List and Image Archive of Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post Cover Art

Good luck... Maybe someone else can help, or could I guess contact a museum, such as http://www.normanrockwellvt.com/sep.htm

BTW - indeed, a great painter, an amazing wonderful person and human. Loved his style - witty, charming, fun, whimsical, yet serious...

Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Nita - here are the covers... 1951-1960 (http://www.curtispublishing.com/gallery/1950-1959.htm - broken link) - looks like maybe the one you are referring to might not be an actual cover?
Here is another listing of 'em: Complete List of Norman Rockwell Magazine Covers 1940 Through 1980

Maybe this site or another similar will have this particular painting you're thinking of? List and Image Archive of Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post Cover Art

Good luck... Maybe someone else can help, or could I guess contact a museum, such as Original Norman Rockwell Museum of Vermont Saturday Evening Post Covers

BTW - indeed, a great painter, an amazing wonderful person and human. Loved his style - witty, charming, fun, whimsical, yet serious...
thanks, you know I am beginning to think I am imagining this, but I know I wasn't drunk when I saw it: I didn't even drink in those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri