Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,212 times

Advertisements

Awwww, now that's just bein' mean!!! You big show off! LOL

I am glad you are able to find work, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Awwww, now that's just bein' mean!!! You big show off! LOL

I am glad you are able to find work, that's for sure!
Lol, I'm blessed!
DH and I have worked our butts off to get to this point, and had a few lucky breaks along the way, too!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM

I hear ya! Times are hard and I'm always encouraged to hear they're not hopeless.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
A safe & warm holiday greeting to you and yours... best wishes to all

And, as a friendly reminder to all from this hillbilly mod, please adhere closely to the following recommendations,,, this classic post is for your best good:

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare... You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? LaborDay?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.

Remember this motto to live by:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Have a great safe warm enjoyable sane fun holiday season!!!
Not just for Holidaze....I may adopt this for all year long.....what the heck....life's too short, isn't it?

Must admit tho', I do, for some reason, like fruitcake!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?
That would be like getting looped and going to the bar afterwards..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lol, I'm blessed!
DH and I have worked our butts off to get to this point, and had a few lucky breaks along the way, too!
As I saw this post from you again, I couldn't help but think that that's pretty much what it takes...hard work and a few breaks along the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Not just for Holidaze....I may adopt this for all year long.....what the heck....life's too short, isn't it?

Must admit tho', I do, for some reason, like fruitcake!!!
Haha! I loved that list, too, Ms Voyager!

I couldn't help but laugh about the fruitcake, too. I used to think all fruitcake was bad but a few months ago, I had a fruitcake from the bakery up at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Mansfield...and it was off-the-charts good!!! Dunno why all of them don't taste like that but it could be because they've all been frozen and regifted year after year! LOL

Last edited by mrsgenealogy; 02-21-2011 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Because I can! LOL

Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Smile Hello everyone!

This thread could use a little bump--hello again everyone!

Between my dog needing to be put down a year ago and the realization that Mrs. Northbayeric and I need to stay where we're at in California and not relocate back to Missouri, I was feeling pretty low for awhile and didn't feel like I could contribute much here. But God is always merciful and good, and knows what is best for us!

So like Cali BassMan, any chance of us relocating back there won't likely happen until I reach retirement age. Still, we want to come back there to visit my relatives and go on vacation in the meantime. We hope our next chance of flying back there will be in early October.

Tiffany was such a good dog. She lived to be 17 years old, and since I adopted her in February 1992 when she was just eight weeks old, I had her for fully 17 years. The morning that I had to take her to the animal hospital to have her put down was one of the most painful days of my life. I'll never forget her--a total shih tzu through and through. Fast forward 10 months to this past January, and Mrs. NBE and I found the ideal dog to take up where Tiffany left off. We adopted Dana at the local PetCo via the California Animal Rescue program. She's about a year old, part King Charles cavalier spaniel and we think, part Jack Russell terrier, and had been picked up as a stray dog down in Kern County not too far from Bakersfield. You couldn't ask for a more affectionate, good-hearted dog! A real blessing from God indeed!

Same thing with da jammer, who has stayed in touch with me this past year too. Hopefully I can get to meet you in person and some of the rest of you one day! Meanwhile, have a blessed Lenten season, and favorable weather this upcoming spring!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. I have Tzu's. OMG what total characters they are! Glad it worked out that you'll have some new company to help fill the void.

Since you are stuck in Ca. for a bit longer I hope you are at least in one of those areas I hear so much about with the great weather

Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. I have Tzu's. OMG what total characters they are! Glad it worked out that you'll have some new company to help fill the void.

Since you are stuck in Ca. for a bit longer I hope you are at least in one of those areas I hear so much about with the great weather
Thanks! I'd say our main weather bugaboo here is any periods of drought, because May through September brings almost no rainfall whatsoever. Thankfully our rainfall here has been good and the Sierra snowpack is terrific! This is about the prettiest time of the year when it starts getting a bit warmer and the countryside is green before starting to turn brown in late April or during May. I'll always miss Missouri's green summers even with the humidity!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Thank you so much for the update, Eric! I'm so sorry to hear that your desire to move here is still unrealized. I do think you're doing the right thing in accepting it and living in the moment. It is important to accept wherever we find ourselves in life, as difficult as it may be. I kind of feel that it's kind of the only way to fully realize our destiny, whatever that is. I know it sounds corny but living in the moment sure beats living in limbo. As men and women of faith, it is accepting whatever God says is best for us...knowing that it really is, somehow. I've been in that situation and have found that it was just that kind of faith that opened the doors for moving...a lesson we had apparently still needed to learn.

These days, faith is more needed than ever! It's been a tough year here, too, with plenty of heartache. I'm happy to hear you have a new pet to share your love with and hope we get to see you in October if you wind up coming our way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
This thread could use a little bump--hello again everyone!

Between my dog needing to be put down a year ago and the realization that Mrs. Northbayeric and I need to stay where we're at in California and not relocate back to Missouri, I was feeling pretty low for awhile and didn't feel like I could contribute much here. But God is always merciful and good, and knows what is best for us!

So like Cali BassMan, any chance of us relocating back there won't likely happen until I reach retirement age. Still, we want to come back there to visit my relatives and go on vacation in the meantime. We hope our next chance of flying back there will be in early October.

Tiffany was such a good dog. She lived to be 17 years old, and since I adopted her in February 1992 when she was just eight weeks old, I had her for fully 17 years. The morning that I had to take her to the animal hospital to have her put down was one of the most painful days of my life. I'll never forget her--a total shih tzu through and through. Fast forward 10 months to this past January, and Mrs. NBE and I found the ideal dog to take up where Tiffany left off. We adopted Dana at the local PetCo via the California Animal Rescue program. She's about a year old, part King Charles cavalier spaniel and we think, part Jack Russell terrier, and had been picked up as a stray dog down in Kern County not too far from Bakersfield. You couldn't ask for a more affectionate, good-hearted dog! A real blessing from God indeed!

Same thing with da jammer, who has stayed in touch with me this past year too. Hopefully I can get to meet you in person and some of the rest of you one day! Meanwhile, have a blessed Lenten season, and favorable weather this upcoming spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri