Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,160 times

Advertisements

I understand all to well how small town work. Im wanting to move from a small AG community in southern Iowa to Doniphan. Im moving with my livestock and hope to start a new chapter of my life.
How well do people there except out siders moving in? Will the fact Im a single woman make life harder with in the community?
Are there other fiber or sheep growers there?
Thank you for any responce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 08:12 AM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
Doniphan is a pretty hardscrabble area. As of the last census, one person in four was below the poverty level. Doniphan is the largest town in the county and it is only 2,000 people. The Arkansas state line is only eight or nine miles away, and the nearest large city is Memphis, 100 miles southeast. The culture is strongly southern - much more so than the rest of Missouri.

You seem to be asking about social life. The difficulty is that the lack of population and the extensive poverty makes for a very limited number of social institutions. My expectation is that the local churches will be pretty much it.

It is almost the exact point where the Ozark hills meets the Bootheel flood plains. Grazing land should do well for sheep; however I expect you will be able to be on a first name basis with every wool producer 50 miles in every direction.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:31 PM

Thank you. So although the realistate is great maybe I would have a hard time there? Very isolated?

Old 01-21-2020, 01:36 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz50841 View Post
Thank you. So although the realistate is great maybe I would have a hard time there? Very isolated?
I think culturally too would be a lot different being from Iowa and moving to a place in Dixie. As Arby said it's very southern there, not like northern MO near Iowa.

If you want something similar to Iowa I would say move north of the Missouri river. South of the MO river minus St. Louis area is going to feel very different culturally. Heck, even some places in northern half of MO still have some southern influences that makes it a lot different from Iowa.

I had a teacher in college from Iowa and he even said when he got into Missouri the feel was totally different and bible belt.

One plus for being in that part of Missouri is the winters will be A LOT warmer. Many days you can wear a short sleeve shirt in the winter. Snow doesn't stay around long and doesn't snow much but seems to be more ice storms in southern MO. So weather wise pretty mild in the winter.

Also, Missouri is very conservative, especially southern MO. A lot more to the right than Iowa is. Democrats are non existent in southern MO they don't even run them for offices in many house and senate districts.

MO also very pro gun so a big plus for you there too. Don' t need a permit to conceal carry in MO.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 AM

I lived in MO when I was younger so I have some idea. Getting away from Dems is a strong plus. As is the carry laws. I have always hated the north. Not from here cant wait to leave here. The people arent even nice.
My main concern is moving into such a small town being an outsider, would they except me? Im also a single woman. Up here that means no one will talk to you. Up here even if you are married if your not born here, you dont belong here.
I dont want to move back into the same mentality

Old 01-24-2020, 08:45 PM

There is no real answer to your question; we would have to know both you and many locals. If The Bank (a coffee shop) is still there you could go down, hang out a couple of mornings and try to talk to people.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:09 PM

1,137 posts, read 447,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I think culturally too would be a lot different being from Iowa and moving to a place in Dixie. As Arby said it's very southern there, not like northern MO near Iowa.

If you want something similar to Iowa I would say move north of the Missouri river. South of the MO river minus St. Louis area is going to feel very different culturally. Heck, even some places in northern half of MO still have some southern influences that makes it a lot different from Iowa.

I had a teacher in college from Iowa and he even said when he got into Missouri the feel was totally different and bible belt.

One plus for being in that part of Missouri is the winters will be A LOT warmer. Many days you can wear a short sleeve shirt in the winter. Snow doesn't stay around long and doesn't snow much but seems to be more ice storms in southern MO. So weather wise pretty mild in the winter.

Also, Missouri is very conservative, especially southern MO. A lot more to the right than Iowa is. Democrats are non existent in southern MO they don't even run them for offices in many house and senate districts.

MO also very pro gun so a big plus for you there too. Don' t need a permit to conceal carry in MO.
I think that is wrong. You don't need a permit to open carry, but I believe you do for concealed carry.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz50841 View Post
I lived in MO when I was younger so I have some idea. Getting away from Dems is a strong plus. As is the carry laws. I have always hated the north. Not from here cant wait to leave here. The people arent even nice.
My main concern is moving into such a small town being an outsider, would they except me? Im also a single woman. Up here that means no one will talk to you. Up here even if you are married if your not born here, you dont belong here.
I dont want to move back into the same mentality
If you fish, it is a great area. The Current River is a bonanza of great fishing. People are people and if you are pleasant and honorable, you will make friends there.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
I think that is wrong. You don't need a permit to open carry, but I believe you do for concealed carry.
No permit required for concealed carry in Missouri. See https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...-need-to-know/ for a pretty good summery.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
No permit required for concealed carry in Missouri. See https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...-need-to-know/ for a pretty good summery.
Blanket advice isn't always accurate though. The concealed carry permit gives massive protections. Take a look at the actual state laws, and you will see there are pitfalls to concealed carry without a permit. Maybe you're right, and maybe your not. But, the actual wording of the laws is far more complicated than that one paragraph link you posted.

I would hate to see someone read that and wander into a posted area or restricted location and end up an inadvertent criminal due to a misunderstanding. Anyway, I do not believe Missouri is a place where you can simply carry concealed without a permit. It may be OK in some areas, but certainly not all. And, if a simple cardboard sign can make the difference, I'd suggest the permit and some study of the laws before you stick a pistol in your pocket off your own property.

peace.

https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSecti...&bid=33874&hl=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri