Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:10 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been lurking around this forum a while and find it a useful resource. I am seriously considering relocating to MO. I grew up in Illinois and remember loving MO when we went on vacations. Even as an adult when I moved away, I still marveled at driving through the state with all it's beauty. As circumstances would have it, I'm now in a position where a move is probably in order. I currently live in the Pac NW but I really want out of here!! Since I grew up in the Midwest, I know the drill about winters/summers---just need to get reacclimated. I miss that whole looking out for your neighbor sense of community and I haven't felt that since I was in Alaska. My question is that I am torn between Jefferson City/Columbia area and Springfield. I currently work as a tech writer, although I have worked in several other fields, including university adminstration, so I don't think finding employment will be a great issue. Quite frankly, I can deal with making less if the cost of living is less. I am a single female in my late 30's. I'm not into partying or clubs/bars, but I would like to meet other like-minded people (and maybe that special guy down the line). My politics are conservative, although I've been in the university environment before, so I can stomach liberalism. I've lived in the Bible Belt (Panhandle of Texas) on and off for about 11 years before I moved to the Pac NW, so I am aware of the culture and it doesn't bother me. I like the artsty community and love hiking, biking and ouside activites. I would also like to buy a house (which is another reason I am leaving this area---the market is ridiculous). I plan to make a trip to MO this spring, but I would like some feedback as to what area might be a better fit, knowing my situation.
Thanks
Cobolt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 07:39 PM

Oh and by the way---I currently live in a county that is considered the Meth Capitol of WA state, so I'm certain that what problems MO is experiencing can't be half as bad as what is going on here (meth labs hidden near hiking trails and so forth--outside of Mt Rainier, Mt Baker.) It's crazy.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:22 PM

No responses? Nothing? I also need to know if Richwood Valley is near Springfield or Branson.
Thanks.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:43 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
It's not that I for one am ignoring your posts, I just don't have a clue how to answer you questions!! I simply don't know...

Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 AM

100 posts, read 494,406 times
There is a new Ozark Technical College campus between Ozark and Nixa, and it is called the Richwood Valley campus. That is the only reference I have ever heard of that in this part of the country. There is a Richwoods, Mo near St. Louis.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:07 AM

I don't spend much time in Columbia/Jeff City, but my wife goes to conferences there, and says that it has a very active student community, which makes it see more "artsy". There is that feel in Springfield, too, but very small and concentrated around the mid-town district.

I lived in a college community (University of Idaho, Moscow Idaho) before moving here, and was used to the typical college town vibe - head shops- record stores - bars - lots of stuff going on all the time, plenty of concerts and such. We are talking about a town of about 10,000 here.

I thought that, with Springfield having both Drury University and Missouri State University, and being 250k, there would be a huge college scene. Not so much.

Not that I care at my age, but it just seems weird that the concert scene, music stores, and nightlife is somewhat small and generic.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 AM

Well I'm not looking for "arsty" in the college sense of bars, headshops and so forth. I mean--choir concerts, plays, a symphony or classical music---those types of things. I'm not looking for the MET or anything--but certainly those things do exist in Springfield? I am going to visit both areas, but from what I know and have read about Columbia, it is a bit too "college" for me. I just want to buy a house and know that I can get some good food or listen to a classical or jazz concert---something in the park or see a play every so often. I lived in Amarillo, Tx for 13 years---about 160,000 in that city and they had a pretty decent offering of those types of outlets.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:09 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Suburbs or just outside of Kansas City in a small town within 30 miles.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:22 PM

The Hammonds center has a "season" with Classical music, plays, and various headline acts. They did Hairspray and Phantom of the Opera this year - I saw Jerry Seinfeld there last year. They do Nutcracker at Christmas. There is a symphony season, too.

My wife is heavily involved in the Ozark Concert Season, some names if you are into the Bluegrass/Folk scene

www.dulcimergirl.com

Old 02-19-2007, 03:23 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,927 times
I have lived in both Springfield and Columbia. Both are great towns. As I have moved from college student to family man, the move from Columbia to Springfield was a good one.

Springfield has excellent dining - check out Bijan's, Brunos, Gilardi's, Metropolitan Grill, Flame, Ophelia's, Clarie's, Touch, Twilight Grill, Gallery Bistro, Millie's, or Avanzare for top notch food. The Juanita K. Hammons Hall (on MSU campus) is a great facility for theater, music, ballet or big name comedy. The Springfield Little Theater puts on great performances. There is also an improv comedy troup that performs downtown that I hear is very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri