Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:31 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I have a friend that lives near Columbia and he has caught glimpses of what he thinks was a mountain lion running through his farm field. It made the hair stand up on the back of his neck one night while taking the trash out.
I've heard that it could be a possibility that they exist in MO but some folks think it's a legend.
My husband's uncle had a mountain lion in his backyard (he lives on like 4-5 acres in Bonne Terre) Creeps me out to go there.. but I figure if I don't bother them, they won't bother me.

I am more scared of the snakes in the tall grass

Of course alot of people know about the ghosts in Lemp Mansion in Saint Louis.... that's a tourist attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Mountain lions have been found dead in Missouri fairly recently, DNA tests indicate most were imported from other areas and kept as pets, until they escaped or were set free. We had a black bear and 2 cubs in Carthage a few years back, they figured they migrated up from Arkansas. They were trapped and removed to a more appropriate place.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:13 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Mountain lions have been found dead in Missouri fairly recently, DNA tests indicate most were imported from other areas and kept as pets, until they escaped or were set free. We had a black bear and 2 cubs in Carthage a few years back, they figured they migrated up from Arkansas. They were trapped and removed to a more appropriate place.
I know of two that were considered wild and not imported at all. One was hit by a car and found in a back yard in North KC. Another up around Richmond i think. I have found track just about 4 miles south of the KC city limits.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 PM

76 posts, read 394,527 times
Those are awesome stories! Spooky but fun. I have heard of many Big Foot sightings around the country and when I lived in Indiana as a small child on a farm, I was afraid to go outside at night because I thought that Big Foot was hiding in the corn fields!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:29 AM

20 posts, read 95,860 times
The MDC has finally admitted that there are mountain lions in Missouri. So they are not legend anymore. My husband had one walk through 20 yards from his treestand a couple of years ago when we were deerhunting in Dallas county. Later that season, our hunting buddy found a deer carcass with fresh lion tracks around it.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 47,720 times
stephens collage in columbia is haunted

Old 04-06-2007, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 28,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD147 View Post
The MDC has finally admitted that there are mountain lions in Missouri. So they are not legend anymore. My husband had one walk through 20 yards from his treestand a couple of years ago when we were deerhunting in Dallas county. Later that season, our hunting buddy found a deer carcass with fresh lion tracks around it.
I KNOW we have mountain lions in MO! Sherman, crank the WayBack machine for 34 years in the past, please....

A mountain lion chased me and my cousins through the woods in deep rural Crawford County. I've never heard such a hideous, demonic sound--and that was just our mothers screeching at us for our youthful stupidity in trying to bring home the "lost kitten" that we'd found.

Important safety tip: if you find adorable, young wildlife in the woods....leave it there! Otherwise, you will make the mother extremely angry and she will chase you until you drop her baby.

Secondary safety tip, immediately following the first tip: pad your behind for the whipping you'll get from your own mother after she throws you into the relative safety of a station wagon AFTER she hugs you non-stop for ten minutes.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,504 times
This is neat I love hearing all the different story's. I live about 25 to 30 miles south of Kansas City (in the country) on the line of Missouri and Kansas and I can tell you I have seen with my own eyes the Mouton Lions everyone talks about. I woke up in the middle of the night last summer to my dogs barking and I looked out my bedroom window and there was one trying to get in my Rabbit's cage. I have never seen anything that BIG that was not behind a fence at the Zoo.
Also just South of were I live about 2 miles there is a dirt road to the right
and just a little ways down the dirt road you go down a hill and then there is a flat spot then you go back up a hill. They have called this Gravity Hill for as long as I can remember. You stop your car on the flat spot, put your car in neutral take both your feet away from the peddles and your hands away from the wheel, your car will start moving back wards up the hill you just drove down all by it's self. As teenagers we were always going out there and trying it. Trying to figure out how in the heck it does it.
Have a good one and enjoy,
Angie

Old 04-10-2007, 07:37 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
I know someone that lives at Gravity Hill and they have had a lion kill on their property.
I know the secret about gravity hill but i am not telling. Sure wish i had the secret on those Bush's Baked Beans though! lol

Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,204 times
This one is no ghost story...

It's the Irish Wilderness. The Eleven point river is there, it's remote and very
pretty. Watch out for Mary Decker and Boom Hollow!

http://www.lulu.tv/?p=4769
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri