Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times

Advertisements

Also I am wondering on different state's test scores, couldn't an issue arise if they use a different scoring scale? I could see due to how it is scored and different difficulty of tests could wind up making state by state comparisions nearly worthless since you might not be comparing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM

140 posts, read 273,889 times
I was rereading this thread since more comments had been made recently, and a couple of things caught my eye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappergirl View Post
I was not trying to say that the schools were not good enough for my children. That is the exact reaction I was trying to avoid. Basically, the site I went to was SchoolMatters and it is a site where you can look up any schools testing scores. You can look schools up by state, city, or individual school. I looked at the results for all 2000+ schools in your state. It is a standard, I believe national standardized, test called the CRCT is where the testing results come from that the kids take each year.
I went to SchoolMatters, and indeed Missouri students' scores are lower than those of Georgia. However, Missouri students don't take the CRCT -- that is a Georgia state test. Missouri students were taking the MAP test, and as someone pointed out in an earlier post, the MAP test is one of the most rigorous tests given to students in the US. Missouri is currently in the process of phasing out the MAP test, and lowering the test standards, so as not to exceed the federal minimums and be labeled as "failing" schools. I know some of the classes at my daughters' schools had end-of-course exams instead of the usual MAP tests this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Also I am wondering on different state's test scores, couldn't an issue arise if they use a different scoring scale? I could see due to how it is scored and different difficulty of tests could wind up making state by state comparisions nearly worthless since you might not be comparing the same thing.
I believe that is precisely what happens. As far as I know, each state chooses what and how to test their students, so you can't compare between one state and another, since the students aren't taking the same test. In that other, older thread a link was posted to a news article from 2004 from Missouri Digital News about this whole MAP testing subject: Missouri's MAP test may be changed, to lower standards

Just more of my $.02...

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM

140 posts, read 273,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff1982 View Post
We are PCSing to Leonard Wood in August, can anyone give me some rental information in the surrounding areas? Im having a horrible time!
I'm afraid I won't be much help since I haven't had to rent for many years. I'd suggest continuing to search the CD threads for rental info from the St. Robert/Waynesville area, as well as Rolla or Lebanon. You could also try Googling those towns to get links to their Chamber of Commerce websites. You can also peruse the RollaNet website for more info on Rolla: Welcome to the RollaNet GRAPEVINE!

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethP View Post
Missouri is currently in the process of phasing out the MAP test, and lowering the test standards, so as not to exceed the federal minimums and be labeled as "failing" schools...In that other, older thread a link was posted to a news article from 2004 from Missouri Digital News about this whole MAP testing subject: Missouri's MAP test may be changed, to lower standards
Parents should read this and think about the implications for Missouri education.

Isn't it sad that lowering our state's standards will make outsiders feel better about moving their children to our schools?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 AM

21 posts, read 156,243 times
Thank you everyone for all of your help and information on this. Looks like it is going to be Ft. Benning, GA for us instead of Missouri! Closer to home and that is where we moved from 12 yrs ago...go figure!!!

Good luck to the ones that are getting transferred to MO!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,765 times
Default move to FLW

I would consider living on post. Utilities are high elsewhere for l thing and the nearest decent size city is Rolla 30 min so if you husband has PT he will have to take a shower at his job. The sports on post are reasonable and easily accessible if u live on post. My son goes to school on post and we have nothing but good things to report. He have been identified as gifted and is now in the LEAP program.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,941 times
Hey everyone-need a clean safe apt close to base. Single, Officer. Suggestions? Would like it furnished with w/d

Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,347 times
In the past few years the weather has been a problem around Ft. Leonard Wood. Flooding has frequently closed roads in Waynesville and the east side of base. The East gate closes due to weather at least once every year. My husband and I have been stationed there multiple times and living in different locations each time. We lived in Waynesville and had trouble getting on base because of road closings when the River flooded. I-44 even closed, which was a huge surprise to us. Our basement of our house we were renting also flooded. Apparently that was a problem for many houses in both St. Robert and Waynesville. I guess USAA insurance has sky rocketed lately because of all the flooding claims in the area in the past few years. This last year, we have just bought a house in Plato, MO, which is south of base. It doesn’t have as much commerce as north of base but the South gate never closes and the roads out there never flood. Our house is on Groves Drive, and the way to base has never ever flooded, nor have any of the houses around us. If you can stand living in the country surrounded by the Mark Twain National Forrest, I’d consider living south of base.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
Hello my husband is in the military and is going to get stationed at ft wood I am wondering where is the best place to look in far as finding a place I have 6 childen so I want a safe friendly n good schools and not to far from base. Thank you

Old 10-05-2017, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 19,777 times
Good morning all! I see this post is quite old but I am in the same situation. We are moving from the Northeast right now to Fort Leonard Wood next month. I have a preschooler and a first grader to girls. If any of you have more advice as well as the original poster if you could tell me your experience that you had while living there that would be wonderful. Did you like Rolla did you end up and rolla? We were looking at home there last night but also open to Waynesville as we've heard the schools are very good. Thank you all in advance for any and all advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri