Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2006, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,027 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the early stages of looking for property in either southern Missouri or northern Arkansas. We want to stay in the Ozarks and are looking for 100-200 acres. An old farm would be nice but not necessary since we would rather build. We're looking for quiet, out-of-the-way land with timber and water on the property and preferably a southern facing hill that we could build a house into. Is this a pipe dream? Or does such still exist in Missouri?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 08:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,990,063 times
Default it's not a pipe-dream

I live on small acreage (4.3 acres) about 8 miles north of Springfield, Missouri, and had moved here from Las Vegas after researching the area for about two years and making visits to check it out myself. I originally wanted 20+ acres, but couldn't find the quality of house on such acreage, even if the land was great. I didn't want to spend six months going through the hassle of building a house and dealing with all the things that could go wrong, like drilling for wells and finding there is no reachable water, or whatever. I searched from Las Vegas on the internet first by going through SpringfieldMOMLS.com which serves most of southwest Missouri and offers parameters one can set to narrow searches (I did find my home through this site!), and another website that serves all of southern Missouri, but I can't remember the name of it. I do know I found several by simply googling with "Ozarks acreage farms" There was one site w w w.bakerealty.com with fabulous farms and large acreage properties, but they were too far east for my tastes. I really like the southwestern part of the state and that was just too far, but the prices are excellent and there are some gorgeous properties at very reasonable prices on that site. The other site I frequented was UnitedCountry and I did find one great property of 35 acres on it, but the house was a stone house and needed far more work than I was willing to put into it. I am happy with what I got actually. It's only 4.3 acres, the back half forested, and the house is a custom brick that sits in the middle with the front being like a park (2.5 acres of mowing unfortunately), but it's gorgeous. I think I might have bitten off more than I could chew had I gone with more acreage. However, if you buy in the West Plains, Ava, Licking, etc. areas, most of that country is heavily forested and very hilly, often with steep gorges, very Ozarky. Whatever you decide to do, I'm so glad myself I moved to Southwest Missouri and the Ozarks, and I'm pretty sure you would be too! Good luck!

Last edited by MoMark; 06-06-2006 at 08:42 PM..

Old 06-19-2006, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,027 times
Talking Thank you!

for the information. I really appreciate the reply!

Don

Old 06-20-2006, 09:09 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,856 times
I would think it is very possible but maybe not real close to the big cities more out in the land so to speak. I know in some of the areas I have looked in to with land of around 20 Acers they some times would say additional land also available and one was over another 220 so yes it is possible. That land I was talking about also had a creek on it and 4 ponds most wooded and about 1/3 open grass
Good luck. Find you dream build it and live it just wish I could afford that much land

Old 06-22-2006, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,464 times
I'm located app 2 hrs south of St. Louis, west of the Farmington area and there are some nice properties for sale in this area. Check with Grisham Realtors in Bismarck MO as they handle numerous acreage sites.
removed

Last edited by Marka; 06-23-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri