Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 01:22 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

To those who have had some exposure or training in Jeet Kune Do how effective did you find it to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 07:14 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
I’ve not been in enough matches to have an opinion of any value. However, for me, it was worthwhile because it incorporated different distances and in different ways than what I had previously learned up to that date. IMO, no one style is perfect for anyone except perhaps the person who developed it, as an expression of their particular skills, physique, and biases. This is of course one of the main attractions to JKD, the keep what works approach. Studying different styles is advantageous I think. I had a real smorgasboard when I was studying, Kyokushin, Wing Chun, Bando, Uechi Ryu, Taekwondo, Muay Thai, JKD, Lameco Escrima, and a little bit of Pencak Silat and shoot wrestling.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:31 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who have had some exposure or training in Jeet Kune Do how effective did you find it to be?
I haven't trained JKD, but as someone in interested in the potential thread answers I think it'd be useful for you to clarify, effective for what? Self defense?

Old 08-12-2018, 07:34 PM

^

Self defense more so.

But anyone who has applied it in competition can chime in also.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post

However, for me, it was worthwhile because it incorporated different distances and in different ways than what I had previously learned up to that date.
Who was your JKD instructor? I wonder if different instructors may have different approaches to teaching JKD?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:21 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Who was your JKD instructor? I wonder if different instructors may have different approaches to teaching JKD?
I never had a “pure” JKD Instructor if there even is such a thing. I’m sure there are variations because of the philosophy. I had three classes that included JKD but the one I got the most from was this one.

Martial Arts Koncepts

Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 PM

390 posts, read 506,341 times
JKD is basically copying other styles' most effective moves, which is what MMA is but more refined. When was the last time someone became champion in MMA and said it was due to JKD?

The main problem with JKD is that there aren't many people training it. You'll be paying a low fee to some dude teaching out of his basement and your training partner will be himself and his 12 year old nephew or something. It might be OK for 3 months or so, even if there are 2 more students.....but you'll get bored or whatever, and end up quitting and didn't get far.

While if you pay $100-150/month at an MMA gym, you get a lot more people to train with in Muay Thai....and a ton more on the BJJ mat.

Old 11-05-2020, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 977 times
Default Jeet Kune Do is quite effective

I find JKD quite effective for both exercise and self defense. I have been training here: [url]https://www.mnkali.com/[/url] for roughly five years now and I think it is a wonderful style to learn. Since the pandemic began I have also been making use of their online university: [url]https://www.mnkali.com/online-university[/url]

To put it simply, Jeet Kune Do is the culmination of effective practices and maneuvers from many styles of martial arts. It is an educational system for mixing martial arts together. I highly recommend taking some classes if you get the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)