Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times

Advertisements

I am living in Indianapolis currently . I graduated from a college here in '07 with a bachelors degree in Marketing and I am working at a warehouse and getting by. Ugh...My parents say I would have a better time getting a decent job in Mobile since I grew up there. I was just wondering how the job market is down there. Honestly I would, if I had the means, move elsewhere like california or somewhere else in the south like houston or atlanta. Mobile is not that diverse or entertaining but Im considering what my parents are suggesting. How is the job market there for marketing/sales professionals and other 'white collar' jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,423 times
I can't say how the job market is for the type jobs you are talking about. I would recommend checking www.indeed.com as a starter. Your cities of choice all have a much higher cost of living than Mobile though.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaSailor View Post
I can't say how the job market is for the type jobs you are talking about. I would recommend checking www.indeed.com as a starter. Your cities of choice all have a much higher cost of living than Mobile though.
Ok thanks. Houston and atlanta are expensive? I figure because its the south they would still be relatively cheap for a big city. I have looked at apartments in mobile and they seem overpriced to me..especially west mobile where I grew up

Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
Ok thanks. Houston and atlanta are expensive? I figure because its the south they would still be relatively cheap for a big city. I have looked at apartments in mobile and they seem overpriced to me..especially west mobile where I grew up

Mobile isn`t Atlanta or Houston but the city may have changed a lot since your last visit.There are a lot of southern cities that are just as expensive as cities in the midwest and northeast .Houston is listed as one of the most inexpensive large metros in the country. And if you want to live in an apartment in a decent area it could get a little expensive.The most you would pay for a decent apartment in Mobile is around 1200.Apartments in a decent area of Mobile start around the 580 or 600 range.

One of the fastest growing marketing agencies in the city is the Red Square Agency they just won a gig/contract with Hilton.

http://redsquareagency.com/#/

Also another good one is Landshark Promotions.

Last edited by PortCity; 02-03-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Mobile isn`t Atlanta or Houston but the city may have changed a lot since your last visit.There are a lot of southern cities that are just as expensive as cities in the midwest and northeast .Houston is listed as one of the most inexpensive large metros in the country. And if you want to live in an apartment in a decent area it could get a little expensive.The most you would pay for a decent apartment in Mobile is around 1200.Apartments in a decent area of Mobile start around the 580 or 600 range.

One of the fastest growing marketing agencies in the city is the Red Square Agency they just won a gig/contract with Hilton.

Red Square Agency

Also another good one is Landshark Promotions.

Thanks! I grew up in west mobile and I know apts there can be kinda high. Do you happen to know anyone who works for red square or landshark?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM

183 posts, read 196,777 times
Lol Atlanta and Houston are not more much more expensive then Mobile. It is all based on your location. If you want to live in the heart of any of these cities or in upscale burbs then they are all about he same. Move out to the burbs or a low income area and the prices for Mobile vs Houston or ATL are almost nill.

The thing about Mobile is you aren't gonna make as much money and the opportunities are not as great. If you know people who can give you the hook up getting a good job in Mobile gets much easier since it is smaller.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
Lol Atlanta and Houston are not more much more expensive then Mobile. It is all based on your location. If you want to live in the heart of any of these cities or in upscale burbs then they are all about he same. Move out to the burbs or a low income area and the prices for Mobile vs Houston or ATL are almost nill.

The thing about Mobile is you aren't gonna make as much money and the opportunities are not as great. If you know people who can give you the hook up getting a good job in Mobile gets much easier since it is smaller.
Lol good to know.My dad used to be a state trooper and he knows lots of people from different backgrounds so he thinks that i will have more opportunities there. I havent lived in mobile since 2001 so alot has changed i guess

Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 PM

9 posts, read 30,947 times
I'm currently looking for a job in mobile myself and most of the job listings I see are for medical personnel and such. Haven't seen much in the field you're talking about but you never know when one will turn up.

Last edited by Tish11129; 03-21-2012 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Oops. Typo.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM

73 posts, read 175,760 times
There are always plenty of jobs in any city doing...
  • What you'd be embarrassed to do, but paying well
  • Physically demanding work (stretches definition of white collar)
  • Work at a time you don't like

Tip: You will not get the job you want fresh out of college. Just sayin'.

Indeed.com has lots of listings. If you need to get healthcare quickly, taking a job for the city (that you don't particularly like, see above) might help with that.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
Jobs suck here; I have a decent one but have been looking for years. If you find a decent one, you'll be disappointed at the lowball salary they offer. I'm in the accounting/finance field but no CPA. Plenty of that temp crap out there (secretarial stuff, day laborer, low-grade, low-pay work). I don't want to relocate because it's expensive to do so, a huge PITA, family is close by, the beach is close by, and it's cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: