Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 AM

386 posts, read 1,217,286 times

Advertisements

The plan of adding another 1% to the redeveloped Westwood Plaza at Schillingers and Airport is dead! Good thing as I wouldn't bother shopping there myself. Why should I pay more to shop somewhere? Makes no sense. Just like...why should I spend time in traffic AND gas money to go to Foley to pay a higher tax rate to shop there? Good thing Mobile learned from the mother of all debacles AKA: Spanish Fort Tax Center where the tax rate is what now? 13 cents? 12 cents? LOL! The other thing no one realizes is now with this development and the new McGowin Park, Mobile is going to have a saturation of sports stores. Something is going to have to give. Academy will obviously survive.. but the newer ones...someone is going to bite the dust..and Hibbett is just doomed IMHO. http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....l#incart_river
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppablemobile View Post
The plan of adding another 1% to the redeveloped Westwood Plaza at Schillingers and Airport is dead! Good thing as I wouldn't bother shopping there myself. Why should I pay more to shop somewhere? Makes no sense. Just like...why should I spend time in traffic AND gas money to go to Foley to pay a higher tax rate to shop there? Good thing Mobile learned from the mother of all debacles AKA: Spanish Fort Tax Center where the tax rate is what now? 13 cents? 12 cents? LOL! The other thing no one realizes is now with this development and the new McGowin Park, Mobile is going to have a saturation of sports stores. Something is going to have to give. Academy will obviously survive.. but the newer ones...someone is going to bite the dust..and Hibbett is just doomed IMHO. 'User fee' likely no longer part of west Mobile shopping center project | AL.com
The tax rate isnt the problem in the Spanish Fort Town Center, its the design of the place itself. No direct access from the interstate, No visibility, a Layout that doesnt allow for the stores to draw activity from one another, no walk ability( whats the use of a mixed use center if you have to get in your car to drive to the next store ?)

Its indeed a Cluster&$^&, but it has nothing to do with the tax rate.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:57 PM

41 posts, read 61,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The tax rate isnt the problem in the Spanish Fort Town Center, its the design of the place itself. No direct access from the interstate, No visibility, a Layout that doesnt allow for the stores to draw activity from one another, no walk ability( whats the use of a mixed use center if you have to get in your car to drive to the next store ?)

Its indeed a Cluster&$^&, but it has nothing to do with the tax rate.
Agree, and they also got beat to the punch by the developments at Exit 38 (Malbis). They were supposed to put some car dealerships in SFTC, but that whole development was so slow to get going that it all went to Malbis first. Only so much retail space needed, and they were too slow. They ought to consider putting office space in that complex... tons of room for it.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMiWi View Post
Agree, and they also got beat to the punch by the developments at Exit 38 (Malbis). They were supposed to put some car dealerships in SFTC, but that whole development was so slow to get going that it all went to Malbis first. Only so much retail space needed, and they were too slow. They ought to consider putting office space in that complex... tons of room for it.
I thought i read that they were a couple of weeks ago.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Mobile will always be the the regional shopping area.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:59 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Mobile will always be the the regional shopping area.

True, for so many reasons. Population concentration, not the least of them.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:11 PM

688 posts, read 1,206,589 times
That Malbis development, Eastern Shore Centre, has been losing national retailers for years. Pity, as it would be a great location for an Apple store.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
That Malbis development, Eastern Shore Centre, has been losing national retailers for years. Pity, as it would be a great location for an Apple store.
That has a lot to do with leasing prices. That place could be doing alot better if they lowered the leasing prices

That being said, Publix did boost the place a little. A real grocery store was needed in that area ( everyone doesnt have a Sam's club card).

Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppablemobile View Post
The plan of adding another 1% to the redeveloped Westwood Plaza at Schillingers and Airport is dead! Good thing as I wouldn't bother shopping there myself. Why should I pay more to shop somewhere? Makes no sense. Just like...why should I spend time in traffic AND gas money to go to Foley to pay a higher tax rate to shop there? Good thing Mobile learned from the mother of all debacles AKA: Spanish Fort Tax Center where the tax rate is what now? 13 cents? 12 cents? LOL! The other thing no one realizes is now with this development and the new McGowin Park, Mobile is going to have a saturation of sports stores. Something is going to have to give. Academy will obviously survive.. but the newer ones...someone is going to bite the dust..and Hibbett is just doomed IMHO. 'User fee' likely no longer part of west Mobile shopping center project | AL.com
Hibbett may be doomed but I read somewhere that Hibbett sports is the most profitable sporting goods store brand in the US because of their business model requiring less overhead. It sure doesn't seem like it due to the lack of foot traffic in most of their stores when I visit... Compared to Academy or Dick's which is filled with people on weekend. They may all be lookie-loos like I am when I go in there.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:18 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Hibbett may be doomed but I read somewhere that Hibbett sports is the most profitable sporting goods store brand in the US because of their business model requiring less overhead. It sure doesn't seem like it due to the lack of foot traffic in most of their stores when I visit... Compared to Academy or Dick's which is filled with people on weekend. They may all be lookie-loos like I am when I go in there.
You said it for me. Hibbett is a unique and quite successful operation. I think its strength is in serving underserved markets additionally to major markets.

I have noticed in failing centers they are the last to go. And they have a surprisingly large area covered, far from being merely regional.

I believe their relationship with Russell athletic lines and equipment from Alexander City helped to jump start them back at the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area