U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 AM
 
386 posts, read 957,962 times
Reputation: 257

Advertisements

The plan of adding another 1% to the redeveloped Westwood Plaza at Schillingers and Airport is dead! Good thing as I wouldn't bother shopping there myself. Why should I pay more to shop somewhere? Makes no sense. Just like...why should I spend time in traffic AND gas money to go to Foley to pay a higher tax rate to shop there? Good thing Mobile learned from the mother of all debacles AKA: Spanish Fort Tax Center where the tax rate is what now? 13 cents? 12 cents? LOL! The other thing no one realizes is now with this development and the new McGowin Park, Mobile is going to have a saturation of sports stores. Something is going to have to give. Academy will obviously survive.. but the newer ones...someone is going to bite the dust..and Hibbett is just doomed IMHO. http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....l#incart_river
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2014, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
18,685 posts, read 8,025,007 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppablemobile View Post
The plan of adding another 1% to the redeveloped Westwood Plaza at Schillingers and Airport is dead! Good thing as I wouldn't bother shopping there myself. Why should I pay more to shop somewhere? Makes no sense. Just like...why should I spend time in traffic AND gas money to go to Foley to pay a higher tax rate to shop there? Good thing Mobile learned from the mother of all debacles AKA: Spanish Fort Tax Center where the tax rate is what now? 13 cents? 12 cents? LOL! The other thing no one realizes is now with this development and the new McGowin Park, Mobile is going to have a saturation of sports stores. Something is going to have to give. Academy will obviously survive.. but the newer ones...someone is going to bite the dust..and Hibbett is just doomed IMHO. 'User fee' likely no longer part of west Mobile shopping center project | AL.com
The tax rate isnt the problem in the Spanish Fort Town Center, its the design of the place itself. No direct access from the interstate, No visibility, a Layout that doesnt allow for the stores to draw activity from one another, no walk ability( whats the use of a mixed use center if you have to get in your car to drive to the next store ?)

Its indeed a Cluster&$^&, but it has nothing to do with the tax rate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 05:57 PM
 
27 posts, read 21,662 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The tax rate isnt the problem in the Spanish Fort Town Center, its the design of the place itself. No direct access from the interstate, No visibility, a Layout that doesnt allow for the stores to draw activity from one another, no walk ability( whats the use of a mixed use center if you have to get in your car to drive to the next store ?)

Its indeed a Cluster&$^&, but it has nothing to do with the tax rate.
Agree, and they also got beat to the punch by the developments at Exit 38 (Malbis). They were supposed to put some car dealerships in SFTC, but that whole development was so slow to get going that it all went to Malbis first. Only so much retail space needed, and they were too slow. They ought to consider putting office space in that complex... tons of room for it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
18,685 posts, read 8,025,007 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMiWi View Post
Agree, and they also got beat to the punch by the developments at Exit 38 (Malbis). They were supposed to put some car dealerships in SFTC, but that whole development was so slow to get going that it all went to Malbis first. Only so much retail space needed, and they were too slow. They ought to consider putting office space in that complex... tons of room for it.
I thought i read that they were a couple of weeks ago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
3,215 posts, read 5,163,518 times
Reputation: 1219
Mobile will always be the the regional shopping area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 04:59 PM
 
1,892 posts, read 2,146,148 times
Reputation: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Mobile will always be the the regional shopping area.

True, for so many reasons. Population concentration, not the least of them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 07:11 PM
 
Location: East Mobile
562 posts, read 645,649 times
Reputation: 260
That Malbis development, Eastern Shore Centre, has been losing national retailers for years. Pity, as it would be a great location for an Apple store.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2014, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
18,685 posts, read 8,025,007 times
Reputation: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
That Malbis development, Eastern Shore Centre, has been losing national retailers for years. Pity, as it would be a great location for an Apple store.
That has a lot to do with leasing prices. That place could be doing alot better if they lowered the leasing prices

That being said, Publix did boost the place a little. A real grocery store was needed in that area ( everyone doesnt have a Sam's club card).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Birmingham
780 posts, read 616,013 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppablemobile View Post
The plan of adding another 1% to the redeveloped Westwood Plaza at Schillingers and Airport is dead! Good thing as I wouldn't bother shopping there myself. Why should I pay more to shop somewhere? Makes no sense. Just like...why should I spend time in traffic AND gas money to go to Foley to pay a higher tax rate to shop there? Good thing Mobile learned from the mother of all debacles AKA: Spanish Fort Tax Center where the tax rate is what now? 13 cents? 12 cents? LOL! The other thing no one realizes is now with this development and the new McGowin Park, Mobile is going to have a saturation of sports stores. Something is going to have to give. Academy will obviously survive.. but the newer ones...someone is going to bite the dust..and Hibbett is just doomed IMHO. 'User fee' likely no longer part of west Mobile shopping center project | AL.com
Hibbett may be doomed but I read somewhere that Hibbett sports is the most profitable sporting goods store brand in the US because of their business model requiring less overhead. It sure doesn't seem like it due to the lack of foot traffic in most of their stores when I visit... Compared to Academy or Dick's which is filled with people on weekend. They may all be lookie-loos like I am when I go in there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 03:18 AM
 
1,892 posts, read 2,146,148 times
Reputation: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Hibbett may be doomed but I read somewhere that Hibbett sports is the most profitable sporting goods store brand in the US because of their business model requiring less overhead. It sure doesn't seem like it due to the lack of foot traffic in most of their stores when I visit... Compared to Academy or Dick's which is filled with people on weekend. They may all be lookie-loos like I am when I go in there.
You said it for me. Hibbett is a unique and quite successful operation. I think its strength is in serving underserved markets additionally to major markets.

I have noticed in failing centers they are the last to go. And they have a surprisingly large area covered, far from being merely regional.

I believe their relationship with Russell athletic lines and equipment from Alexander City helped to jump start them back at the beginning.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top