Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2021, 05:00 PM

261 posts, read 202,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
So I figured out why West Mobile isn't a Census Designated Place. I've been wondering this for quite a while, in my head West Mobile would be the largest CDP in the entire state encompassing a population of 40k to 50k (if it existed). So I looked up what makes an area a CDP. West Mobile checks all the boxes receive a CDP designation (such as a distinct location, with a distinct name, with distinct signage around for the area indicating name, etc etc) EXCEPT one box (lol). It cannot have the same name of a nearby municipality, even if it has a cardinal direction in the name to differentiate it from the municipality ("West" "Mobile"). The reason that West Mobile is not a Census Designated Place is quite literally because of its name.

Although it is weird that Wilmer and Tanner Williams are not CDP's while places like Chunchula and Gulfcrest are (bucks CDP between Creola and Mount Vernon has a population of 23 lol)
I wish we had more names for stuff in west Mobile besides just calling everything west of University boulevard west Mobile. Like south Alabama is in west Mobile, and houses past snow road are also in west Mobile. I feel like those are too far apart for them to be referred to as the same area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 10:06 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
I wish we had more names for stuff in west Mobile besides just calling everything west of University boulevard west Mobile. Like south Alabama is in west Mobile, and houses past snow road are also in west Mobile. I feel like those are too far apart for them to be referred to as the same area
There are different names of communities in west Mobile.Mobilians just don't use them. For an example the community across the street from USA on Old Shell is West Hill.

Medal of Honor park you have the Overton , Claremont, and Malibar Heights community. They are no different than Maysville, Toulminville and Creighton tbh. It's just that East Mobile has community names. Even midtown has its community designations. West Mobile on the other hand doesn't and out of tradition we just lump it all west Mobile.The Overton community touches Hillcrest and Sollie and so does the Milk House community.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
There are different names of communities in west Mobile.Mobilians just don't use them. For an example the community across the street from USA on Old Shell is West Hill.

Medal of Honor park you have the Overton , Claremont, and Malibar Heights community. They are no different than Maysville, Toulminville and Creighton tbh. It's just that East Mobile has community names. Even midtown has its community designations. West Mobile on the other hand doesn't and out of tradition we just lump it all west Mobile.The Overton community touches Hillcrest and Sollie and so does the Milk House community.
Never heard of this golf Course but by the pics it looked like it was really nice.

https://images.app.goo.gl/eGhFwN32QqiD11MX7

https://images.app.goo.gl/hYogceVrJ35GRdPBA

Old 10-07-2021, 10:35 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Man, have y'all seen how many views houses are getting in Mobile County on Zillow? There are so many houses that are getting 1000+ views just about everywhere with only a few days entering the market. Even houses in Prichard, Bayou la Batre, and Chickasaw are getting 100s and 100s of views fresh on the market

Old 10-08-2021, 07:19 AM

426 posts, read 382,895 times
Quote:
Man, have y'all seen how many views houses are getting in Mobile County on Zillow? There are so many houses that are getting 1000+ views just about everywhere with only a few days entering the market. Even houses in Prichard, Bayou la Batre, and Chickasaw are getting 100s and 100s of views fresh on the market
House in my neighborhood went for 90k two years ago. Just sold for 250k CASH.

Now my neighborhood is definitely on the up and coming list, but that is just insane.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
House in my neighborhood went for 90k two years ago. Just sold for 250k CASH.

Now my neighborhood is definitely on the up and coming list, but that is just insane.
Dude that is wild, doesn’t surprise me. All the houses are going in price, it seems like most places are slowing down and prices are going down, but no has told Mobile it seems lol

Old 10-08-2021, 08:35 AM

71 posts, read 56,043 times
All of it is over-priced - you think that's bad, look at Ft Myers, Tampa, Clearwater/St/Pete, Sarasota.
Insane pricing - at least 35% overpriced. This stuff can not be sustained.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:23 PM

Can someone tell me how the hell Escambia County AL is part of the Pensacola CSA when it there is a higher commuter rate to Mobile County than either Escambia County Fl or Rosa County combined? (Pensacola metro= 8.5%, Mobile County 9.3%, Baldwin County 8.1%)

Old 10-14-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Can someone tell me how the hell Escambia County AL is part of the Pensacola CSA when it there is a higher commuter rate to Mobile County than either Escambia County Fl or Rosa County combined? (Pensacola metro= 8.5%, Mobile County 9.3%, Baldwin County 8.1%)
I think they associate themselves with Pensacola. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:13 PM

490 posts, read 464,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I think they associate themselves with Pensacola. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though.
Yeah, they don’t take that into account. Remember that it’s calculated by the American community survey 3 yr results for several consecutive years. they are there own micro area and may fall out of p-cola csa based on new data. Surge, Where did you get the data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area