Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:33 AM

86 posts, read 244,307 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Looks like we'll be moving to the Mobile area by the end of the year. We are coming from Mississippi (Columbus area), so we'll be able to make a few weekend trips down there to check things out in person.

I've been purusing the threads and thus far we are leaning towards living on the east side of the bay (closer access to Gulf Shores and Florida destinations). I would like to hear feedback as to why one would pick any one of the 3 towns above over the other.

Things that we are looking for:

1. Renting a 2 bdr condo or apt - would love to stay in one with a nice view of the bay with a balcony.

2. We are mid-40's, no kids. Looking for an area that has great parks, outdoor activities, road cycling opportunities, etc.

3. Want to be close enough to Mobile to enjoy any downtown events/nightlife/restauant scenes, etc.

4. Want to minimize driving in congested traffic.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

SG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 AM

299 posts, read 937,913 times
Fairhope is a great little town with fun shops and the like. They also have good waterfront access via thier park/pier/beach. Spanish Fort doesn't have much of any town center, and is pretty sprawly, but if you want to live pretty close to things but live sort of in the woods with foxes and deer and stuff, it's great. I have several frineds who live out there and it's pretty cool. Daphne has recently begun to sprawl out a lot with new shopping centers and life-style centers. I personally liked it when it was a smaller town, but I guess there are pros and cons of each.

I think you might like Fairhope the best. It is the most walkable, the park as I said is nice and would be a good place for jogging/cycling/fishing/whatever. They also have events over there (such as Arts and Crafts Festival, Earth Day in the Park to name a couple large ones). Not too far of a drive from downtown Mobile, and when the Maritime Museum is completed there will be access via passenger ferries. As for as a condo/apt with a view, that would be kind of hard to do. There aren't really any highrises except one in Daphne. The closest you could do would probably be to get a house on the bay, which could set you back a bit.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Thank you for the reply midtownruth. That's interesting that there is only one condo/hi rise option (I did find that one in Daphne, and unfortunately, it only has studios and 1 bdrm option - we need 2 bdrms).

Given that information, we may actually expand the area we look in. Are there any type of hi-rise rental options in the Mobile area that are on the water (downtown, east/west, etc.)?

SG

Old 09-19-2009, 12:21 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,432 times
simple girl,

There are several condo projects in Fairhope, right on the bay. They are on South Mobile street. I will try to research names, but if you do any looking, just ck South Mobile street. This is just south of the pier. There are sidewalks that go for miles where you can walk safely...biking is OK, but occasionally we have a wacko running bikers down...(not so often, but one is too many) Good luck!!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Oh you're right, I forgot there were some down that way. I was thinking in terms of highrises or condos right downtown. Sorry

Old 09-19-2009, 01:02 PM

Unfortunately for downtown Mobile, there is a lack of residentail options. There is the Tower on Ryan Park, which has a terrace on the roof (11 stories I think?) with nice views. It isn't on the water, though.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the great lead humacaena. I tried looking for something for rent (via google with that street), but no luck yet. It seems to pull up condo's for sale.

I need to find a condo owner who is looking to rent, and that seems pretty specific. I'm going to keep my eye on Craig's list, too.

We have some time as we don't expect to move until December.

Very excited about moving! Midtown - Fairhope does look really nice!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM

simple girl,

There are condos for rent in Magnolia Beach, on Mobile St south, and Fairhope North, scenic 98 across from Fairhope Marina. (There is one there for rent or sale at this moment. There are many owners that will rent although they prefer to sell). If you can get access to MLS, or search realtor.com or any of these sites, it will be more helpful than other means.

There is a high rise ,Loma Alta,in Daphne sits on a hill, and has killer views of the bay and Mobile. Again, there might be some for lease there. Good luck!!!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
simple girl,

There are condos for rent in Magnolia Beach, on Mobile St south, and Fairhope North, scenic 98 across from Fairhope Marina. (There is one there for rent or sale at this moment. There are many owners that will rent although they prefer to sell). If you can get access to MLS, or search realtor.com or any of these sites, it will be more helpful than other means.

There is a high rise ,Loma Alta,in Daphne sits on a hill, and has killer views of the bay and Mobile. Again, there might be some for lease there. Good luck!!!

Thank you! I'm taking notes here...we are pretty sure we are gonna make a trip down this weekend to start scouting out the Eastern Shore. Mobile, here we come!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM

You might want to rent a scooter in the Scooter place, almost on the corner or Mobile St ad Pier Street...south of the Fairhope pier. They are fun and lets you run around and really see the town. Ck out lunch at Panini Pete's, in the French quarter area intown. It's about the best for lunch....he's our our Star of D,D & D....with guy Fieri on the Food Network.

Also, ck out Fly Creek cafe...great sunsets, cold rinks and fairly good food. The Fairhope north condos are across the way. Hope you like our beautiful town.We love it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area