Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 10,831 times

Advertisements

I live near Mobile, AL and need to drive to Tampa, FL in a few weeks. I have done a couple of searchs on directions and looks like I can take either US-19 or I-75. I have never driven US-19 and figure I-75 is non-stop. Any advice on the best route to Tampa between the two would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 06:11 PM

52 posts, read 329,709 times
I-10 to I-75 South - we live in Slocomb, and did live in Punta Gorda, 105 mile south of Tampa, takes up 7 hours 471 (74 mph average) mile from here and we are maybe 25 mile to I-10 & 231.

Remember you gain an hour right around Tally - 19 if you got losts of time to spare, the above if you want to get there qiick.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:18 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
I use to drive from Tampa to Foley frequently. It took me about 7 hours (not including stops for breakfast and lunch) using I10 to US 27/19, then to the Veterans Expressway near Crystal River, FL. US 27/19 is 4 lanes but you do have to slow down especially in Cross City, FL. I lived near the veterans in Town N Country which was more convenient plus I liked the drive. Not as boring and I also found I wasn't as tired as when we used I75. That being said.. a lot depends on what part of town you are going to in Tampa. If you are going to stay on the east side of Tampa, taking I75 makes more sense. If you are going downtown they either way would work.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:21 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjallen58 View Post
I live near Mobile, AL and need to drive to Tampa, FL in a few weeks. I have done a couple of searchs on directions and looks like I can take either US-19 or I-75. I have never driven US-19 and figure I-75 is non-stop. Any advice on the best route to Tampa between the two would be appreciated. Thanks.
Just take I-10 to I-75. Speed limits are higher on the freeways and like you said you won't need to worry about any traffic lights or anything like that because interstates are nonstop. I'd keep it simple. I drove down to Mobile from St. Louis years ago with my dad (I-64E to I-57S to I-24E to I-65S...now that was a damn long drive!) and then on to Tampa. I-10 to I-75 was a quick and easy route to get to Tampa. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. I've tried U.S. highways before and while they are not slow by any means they usually never measure up to the speed of an interstate and they tend to be far more unpredictable. The speed limits on the interstates stay high...the U.S. ones get low as you go through a town and it adds unnecessary extra time to your trip. I had to find this out the unpleasant way when we decided to take U.S. 61 all the way up through Mississippi instead of I-55...took twice as long to get through the state.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-09-2007 at 05:31 AM..

Old 06-09-2007, 06:58 AM

52 posts, read 329,709 times
The 27/19 Drive I hear is a nice one, and if you got no cares or no worries about time then maybe that is the way to go, I also heard it is all good road.

Maybe one day we will do that trip, but the trip now is long enough as it is and we do not have time for side trips and or stopping an sightseeing.

Our last trip end of April I-10 has some construction, several spots down to 60 mph but we did not incounter any delays at all, and did see a lot of new blacktop.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,831 times
Thanks for all the replies. We do want to get there as soon as possible so will probably take the interstate. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: