Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 01:25 PM

26 posts, read 141,940 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Any advice on the best way to drive from Jackson, WY., to West Yellowstone, Mt. and then on to Cameron, MT?

Also, what are the best grocery stores in those areas?

What are the worst times for traffic in those areas?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
There isn't one. You can't get there from here.

You can either go north through the park, which is slow (more traffic, low speed limit), or around the west loop through Ashton, Driggs, and Victor. I don't recommend that route after dark, for one thing I found a total lack of open gas stations after 10pm! and that west road up from Jackson Hole is nasty. I'm not sure through the park is any better tho it's shorter, and gas will be more expensive. It's certainly more scenic, and since there's only one obvious route you can't take a wrong turn (as you can around Victor). As to grocery stores, you'll probably have a choice of one, these are all little towns.

Either way, just above West Yellowstone take 287 and you'll wind up in Cameron willy-nilly.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 AM

25 posts, read 93,928 times
I travel to Jackson alot for work and i have to tell you, I have taken both routes and would not recomend the park unless you have all day and are just out for a stroll. If you want to get to a destinaton however in less than 12 hours i would say to go thru Driggs to Ashton then to West. After West there is a town by the name of Henrys Lake flat. Take a left there toward Ennis. it takes you around the lake, it is a fairly straight, smooth, open driving road. Camron is on the way to Ennis.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 PM

26 posts, read 141,940 times
NICKYP406 - thanks for the reply. I was wondering how long you think the drive takes going through Driggs and Ashton to Cameron rather than going through the park?

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 PM

Maybe you should have asked "What's the WORST way to go?" -- would surely give you a list of roads to NOT take

Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 AM

239 posts, read 687,628 times
I assume you are in the area for vacation and maybe a little fishing. I would drive through the Park and just relax. It is well worth the drive. You would miss out on something special if you are in such a hurry to miss YNP. Give yourself an extra few hours, relax, and enjoy. Don't be one of those morons who need to pass everyone driving the speed limit.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 PM

25 posts, read 93,928 times
going through Ashton it usualy takes 3 hours, maybe 4 depending on weather, traffic and how fast you go.
I agree that if you are not in a hurry you should go though the park! beutiful!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,405 times
Drove from Jackson to Bozeman yesterday (roughly the same as if you were to drive from Jackson to Cameron) and I went through Grand Teton and Yellowstone parks, exiting at West Yellowstone and heading north from there, which you would exit there, and head north for a tick and then head west. It took me about 5 hours, and I would assume it would be the same to Cameron. It would probably take 4 hours if you went past Ashton.
Personally, I prefer spending the extra hour to go through the park. I'm not crazy about the Teton Pass you have to go over to get from Jackson into Idaho.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
I'm not crazy about the Teton Pass you have to go over to get from Jackson into Idaho.
Operative words being "not crazy"

When I went over it back in '75, someone bid me observe the tangle of timbers and rocks at the bottom of the canyon -- that being various earlier incarnations of the highway, slid down to oblivion.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 PM

144 posts, read 360,106 times
I'm a little surprised about all the fuss about the Teton Pass and going West from Jackson. We were in Jackson last December and came back to Bozeman that way. I wouldn't recommend it if there's been a heavy snowfall recently, but it should be just fine to drive right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana