Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times

Advertisements

I split my time between Helena, Livingston and Big Timber.

Helena is a government town with the associated high taxes and other liberal garbage regulations and restrictions.

It is a pretty town with quick access to national forest and good fishing areas, but I don't like larger towns so the only real positive I have for it is there is a lot of history, and a steady job,(although in Helena most good paying jobs are state, federal or county/city government).

Couple of ok restaraunts, there is an orchestra and theatre productions for the "culture" crowd.

If you just want to hike or camp, access is good nearby, right to the edge of town in fact, but if you want to hunt plan on traveling at least 30 miles because everything nearby is by drawing only or limited access.

Livingston used to be fantastic, but is now a bedroom community for Bozeman and a second home site for the rich and shameless. The property prices are stupid high, but the positives are that it is a fantastic area for hunting and fishing, high mountains, the Yellowstone River and is a beautiful area. Very windy.

Big Timber is in a very scenic area, the Yellowstone river runs through town, very nice people and good access to hunting and fishing and national forest.

Biggest downside is it is one of the windiest places on earth. Winds of 70 miles an hour for days on end is not that uncommon. The air is really fresh though, and if you can suck it out of the atmosphere as it travels by you, there is definately no pollution in it

Also, if you want staple items, the local merchants take advantage of the semi-remote location and the prices are high for food and building materials and other basic things like Clothes.
Clothes, food, building supplies, you will probably end up traveling 30 miles to Livingston, or 60 miles to Billings or Bozeman each way, and roads can be very dangerous especially in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycabbie View Post
Guess I should add mine on here as well...

Brunswick Georgia
Cant really think of anything I really like about here anymore....
Humidity is the one thing I really hate about here....
I can think of one think I like about that area- BOILED PEANUTS.

God do I miss fresh boiled peanuts.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:07 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
1-In between Lincoln and Augusta
2-The hunting/fishing/recreation opportunities
3-Closed minded groups moving in and trying to "convert" locals------There's a reason I am here so if you don't like the way I live, leave me alone to live my life the way I want along with all the other folks who live here for that reason.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:47 PM

54 posts, read 121,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I can think of one think I like about that area- BOILED PEANUTS.

God do I miss fresh boiled peanuts.
We will be in Montana in may, peanuts wont come into season till september. Or I would bring ya some, and I would miss the good boiled peanuts.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 AM

18 posts, read 38,227 times
1. Evergreen Colorado.
2. I love being in the mountains with all the wildlife and beauty we have here.
3. Can't stand the fact we can't sell our house here & get moved up to Flathead lake....Maybe in the Spring.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:03 AM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycabbie View Post
We will be in Montana in may, peanuts wont come into season till september. Or I would bring ya some, and I would miss the good boiled peanuts.
If I travel back to West Virginia I'm taking my truck and bringing back a load of fresh peanuts (I can boil them myself).. Hidden in the peanuts will also be some 'mountain tonic'

Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 PM

836 posts, read 1,493,013 times
Missoula
Excellent hiking close to town
Too many people

Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM

18 posts, read 31,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAfilly View Post
I read these boards frequently, but don't post much. All I'll say is that y'all make me so happy to be moving to MT.

My answers to the questions:
1. Bakersfield, CA
2. It doesn't share the typical CA views. Very, very conservative.
3. Uhh, just one thing? Its in CA. Enough said.
Ditto! All three of my answers are the same as yours CAfilly! But some day I'll be in Montana...just not soon enough.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:37 PM

276 posts, read 792,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyfs2short View Post
Ditto! All three of my answers are the same as yours CAfilly! But some day I'll be in Montana...just not soon enough.
I lived and taught in Bakersfield for one year. The place was growing rapidly back in the late 80's. I sure remember those "tully (sp) fog" school closing days!!! That fog just sat in the valley until a weather front would clean it out. However, Kernville/Lake Isabella were nice as well as Shirley Meadows. I hope that I will be in MT soon myself and out of FL!! Working on it!!!

Good Luck!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 PM

54 posts, read 121,391 times
Took me long enough, but, I finally did think of something besides boiled peanuts I will miss, fresh off the boat seafood.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana