Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 AM

82 posts, read 235,628 times

Advertisements

I’ve made vacation plans for the week of Memorial Day (May 29-June 4) at the Bar W Ranch in Whitefish. I’m planning on having a total of 3-4 extra days on the front and back end of the trip to see some of the sights in NW Montana and am looking for some advice.
I do plan on hitting Glacier National Park one day. Is there anything I shouldn’t miss in the park or something I absolutely have to do while there?
I can’t decide whether to stay in Whitefish or Kalispell for those days and wonder if one is better than the other in terms of location to attractions or restaurants. It seems both towns are pretty nice. I’m looking for touristy stuff, but would also like to see some of the local favorites, especially restaurants. I’ll be traveling alone so someplace that’s fun – with music maybe – and where I can sit at the bar in my jeans and boots and just relax would be great. Nothing fancy.
While searching for events I came across the Kalispell Spring Fling. Has anyone gone to this and can tell me how it is? That would be going on the weekend of June 4th.
I appreciate any information provided. I’m really looking forward to my trip and can’t wait to get there.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-18-2011 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Fixed the font so it was readible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Hello and welcome to the forum
May I refer you to a previous post, there are some good ideas and then let us know what else you are interested in.
You picked a great state to visit!
Ideas for a one day visit

Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 AM

152 posts, read 330,991 times
The pass may not be open that early. The Eastside is beautiful!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 AM

82 posts, read 235,628 times
Thanks. I checked out the other posting and it was quite helpful.

I would like to know if anyone has been to Kalispell Spring Fling. I would like to see a rodeo while I'm there and that event seems kind of interesting.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM

213 posts, read 697,075 times
Sorry, I've never been to the Spring Fling, so I can't help you there.

I wanted to Echo Nature's Cathedral's post about the pass. Going To The Sun Highway is the big drive across Gacier, and it is beautiful. They usually try to have the snow cleared and the pass open by Memorial Day, but many years that doesn't happen (and so far this year has had a lot of snow, so I wouldn't count on it). Keep this in mind when you plan your Glacier trip. It's still worth going - you'll be able to see the Western side of the park, and if you want to visit East Glacier you can still drive Highway 2 along the south edge of the park, which is a beautiful drive in itself. You just may not be able to go across the park itself.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,857 times
That time of the year Glacier's Going to the Sun Road won't be open over the pass yet, BUT, on the weekends when the plow crews aren't working you can usually ride your bike up the road from the Avalanche parking lot until you hit the last place the plows have been (and then you can hoof it over the snow if you really want). It's one of the best ways to see the park because you get the easy access of the road, but without the constant noise and traffic from vehicles. Check the park's website when it gets closer, they typically post how far you can bike/hike on the road in their GTTS road updates section.

It's a heck of a workout biking up it, but worth every bit of effort.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacket View Post
I’ve made vacation plans for the week of Memorial Day (May 29-June 4) at the Bar W Ranch in Whitefish. I’m planning on having a total of 3-4 extra days on the front and back end of the trip to see some of the sights in NW Montana and am looking for some advice.
I do plan on hitting Glacier National Park one day. Is there anything I shouldn’t miss in the park or something I absolutely have to do while there?
I can’t decide whether to stay in Whitefish or Kalispell for those days and wonder if one is better than the other in terms of location to attractions or restaurants. It seems both towns are pretty nice. I’m looking for touristy stuff, but would also like to see some of the local favorites, especially restaurants. I’ll be traveling alone so someplace that’s fun – with music maybe – and where I can sit at the bar in my jeans and boots and just relax would be great. Nothing fancy.
While searching for events I came across the Kalispell Spring Fling. Has anyone gone to this and can tell me how it is? That would be going on the weekend of June 4th.
I appreciate any information provided. I’m really looking forward to my trip and can’t wait to get there.
Thank you in advance.
................Just some additional info you may find helpful....................

Check out mountainlakelodge.com ------Big Fork, MT
(special (winter)rate through 5/31st., includes a Fireplace Suite; A Free Pizza and a free $20.00 dinner certificate at their on-site restaurant.) For a multiple night stay, you may even be able to get a "better than advertised rate".

I have stayed there and it is a beautiful facility (really, check out their Web Site). With the "freebies" it's less costly that the Best Western in Kalispell (by about $30.00)....and the "Room Tax" (7%) is included in that quoted special price.....not so at the BW motels. Also check out Bigfork, MT on the internet....it has a lot to offer.

I have NO INTEREST in this place....I just know how nice it is.

Re: the opening of the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier:............. Latest opening since 1970 was June 23......earliest was May 16. Avg open date is June 7th. This year (La Nina winter snow pack in Glacier)....my guess is
June 15th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana