Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 15,212 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Miles City MT. My boyfriend just moved there and he's trying to get me to relocate there with my three kids.

He says there are lots of employment opportunities and since the economy where I am is bad, I'm considering it. He is a truck driver and says that he gets paid better there than he would where I live.

Can anyone comment on the quality of schools, medical care and how much I might to expect to pay rent for a 3 bedroom home in a decent area?

One of my children has a chronic lung condition and I would need quality healthcare and where we are now he is covered by the state plan.

Does Montana offer a similar free health insurance for children in low income families?

Also, I would welcome opinions on the elementary schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
ok here is a start.

Healthy Montana Kids - Department of Public Health & Human Services

The Miles City Star - Miles City, Montana

http://www.holyrosaryhealthcare.org/

any one here can help with the rental market?
good luck and keep us up on how you are doing.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Thx for the info on Holy Rosary, but the newspaper offered no help on rentals.

I was really disheartened when looked on realtor.com and found no houses for sale and the prices in nearby Roundup for a 2 br house were in the $100k range!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:14 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,921 times
Miles City is a small town, and the newspaper, Miles City Star, prints classified ads but does not put them on their web site.

I suggest you contact the paper online and put an ad in the Miles City Star for "Wanted To Rent" and describe how much room you would need in an apartment or house for yourself and kids.

It may seem odd, but it really does work to advertise what YOU want and have landlords contact you, even if you have to run the ad for several weeks.

You may find a private property owner, not a realtor, who has something that they could rent to you.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 PM

Any idea as to whether the prices I saw on the Roundup realtor site were an indication of rental prices? I was pretty shocked to see 2 br homes for 100,000 and up with no acreage.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:14 PM

You mean sale prices of 100,000 and up, not rentals, right?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:21 PM

Miles City is such a small town, you are not going to find much detailed info about rentals on the internet.

I suggest you phone the Miles City Chamber of Commerce
Miles City Chamber of Commerce | Miles City, Montana
call them and talk to a real person to discuss your moving plans. You will get more up to date and complete information talking to someone who lives there and has a good idea of going rates and availability. The people at the Chamber are there to help.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
From my travelings I found Miles City to be one of the nicest small towns I've ever been to.

However, you're gonna have to take the bull by the horns to find a place to live. There's not a booming rental market or anything like that. Get the local rag and scout through it, call the realtors that will know the property owners etc..

It won't be easy, but I'm sure you can dig something up. Years ago when I moved to Bridgeport WV for a job there were scarce rentals, none that allowed dogs. Small 'burg with 15,000 residents. I had to visit there a few times and scour things, even taking a month to month lease on a crappy place until we found something. Things were easier when I moved to Helena MT- able to find a good house in our price range pretty much off the bat. But Helena is a bigger town = more choices. Miles City is smaller = less so.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Good advice. Can your BF job help with rental info?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 AM

Finding a place is probably going to be up to me for the most part since he's a trucker and gone most of the time. I'm still unsure why he wants us to relocate here because truck driving jobs are everywhere. And truthfully, the plan may have to be ditched due to difficulties finding a place. He indicated that there was new construction in the area that we could easily move into but I'm not seeing it.

Another question I have is about kids' sports programs. My boy likes to play baseball and my oldest daughter likes to play softball. Does Miles City have a good summer program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana