Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 12,051 times

Advertisements

Yep, it is me again I know there have been recommendations on specific places, but just wanting to know what you all think about your favorite place to live. Thanks!! all info helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 AM

64 posts, read 138,420 times
You're asking us for a recommendation - well here's mine - right where I am

Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
Seriously? My favorite place to live is right where I'm at too induchman lol! How are you going to base your decision on what other people prefer? I happen to love mounds and mounds of snow-bitter cold temp's for days on end do not phase me-I hunt, fish and work hard, outside, dirty, manual labor type work and I'm a woman. We have no Walmart or mall where I live. One gas station and all the kids go to the same school, k-12 under one roof. To do any sizable amount of shopping, it involves an entire day over an hour away from home. This is my favorite place. I know many many people who think I'm crazy and wouldn't live up here for all the money in the world. I can't stand Missoula, Great Falls or Billings. Livingston actually makes me sick to my stomach (too many ecleptic wanna be cowboys). You are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment by relying on strangers opinions of what is best you. Come visit (in the winter too), find work and housing, then move.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
My favorite place is the town of Kirby. It's very beautiful country, great fishing, outstanding hunting and it's isolated.

They do seem to get more then their fair share of Severe Weather.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 PM

213 posts, read 697,075 times
My favorite places have changed as I've gone through different phases in my life and needed different things. Let us know what's important to you, and I'm sure people would be happy to make recommendations.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Well I would prefer a small town (was wanting Victor, but cannot find a rental there), where the winters are good and long (yep I am weird too I guess because I too love that). I have 2 kids and prefer a small school for that reason. I guess I will just have to move up there and settle wherever since I really do not have a specific want.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
You need to do some research on different towns first. Moving here and settling "wherever" is not a good idea. People in small towns, which you say that is what you prefer, tend to frown on people moving blindly into their small town only to decide they don't like it and move a year later. It's hard on kids who make friends with the new kids only to watch them leave after a year. Happens to us all the time. Do the research, visit the town, spend a short time there, secure work (that would be my first priority), secure a home, then bring the kids to stay.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 AM

I happen to work at home so looking for work is not a problem. Also I do not have the ability to come for a short time as I live thousands of miles away. I have to just basically put a thumbtack down on a town we think we might like. There is no way we would move a year later.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 AM

213 posts, read 697,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjennifer66 View Post
I happen to work at home so looking for work is not a problem. Also I do not have the ability to come for a short time as I live thousands of miles away. I have to just basically put a thumbtack down on a town we think we might like. There is no way we would move a year later.
You must be very desperate to get out of wherever you are to make a random move like that. Even if you can't visit, you really need to research as towns and their cultures are quite diverse. You say you work at home - that normally means you'll need some good reliable high speed internet service, which isn't available everywhere in Montana. I'm sure if you really think about it there are other things that are important to you as far as activities or things you'd want to have available nearby. Maybe you should make a list of everything you would possibly like in your ideal town and then research to see which towns fit your needs.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 AM

239 posts, read 687,892 times
Every town out there is what you make of it. If you sit around and wait for the town to "be good for you", you will not be happy. Join the PTA, local service organization, club of a hobby you might like, etc. Make some friends, don't tell them how they should think or live, and you will be fine in any town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana