Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 16,650 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved from a small town north of NYC to Bozeman last week. We visited the state last year, liked what we saw, and when my husband was able to transfer within his company, decided to give it a try. It's only been a week but I am surprised at how homesick I am for my little town. Are there any other NY'ers out there feeling the same way? Also, I've read the postings about the real estate. We're renting for now but had planned on buying a house. Now it looks as if it's going to have to be a condo and even those look very expensive. My husband took a cut in pay to move here and when I find a job I know I will as well. Any hope for affordable housing?

Old 09-05-2006, 08:43 PM

462 posts, read 1,706,974 times
Not in Bozeman or the immediate area. You will have to go at least to Three Forks or even farther to Whitehall to find affordable housing. Prices in Bozeman, Big Sky, Livingston, Belgrade are all out of sight. Things get less expensive the farther you go from any of these towns and you get much more for your money, ie: land!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM

78 posts, read 743,873 times
Default Bozeman's expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
Not in Bozeman or the immediate area. You will have to go at least to Three Forks or even farther to Whitehall to find affordable housing. Prices in Bozeman, Big Sky, Livingston, Belgrade are all out of sight. Things get less expensive the farther you go from any of these towns and you get much more for your money, ie: land!
Ladyfish hit it on the nose. Price in Bozeman and nearby areas keep going up, up, up, and up.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:21 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,279 times
Default Bozeman

The upside of going further from Bozeman for affordable housing is smaller towns. That may help with you missing your small town. I have moved all over the country and have missed my friends in Fairfield, MT. Try volunteering somewhere - that's always helped me. I have met some great people that way. The library, schools, hospitals, etc. Also ask at the bookstores about book clubs. They work also. Another option is to take some classes. I love to sew so I took a quilting class (had never tried it before) when we moved to MN. Met some nice people. Moved to WY and did it again. I have some great friends now. I have also acquired some new hobbies. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
I currently live in New York and will be moving to Montana this summer. My brother lives in Belgrade. I'm trying to find a good school for my kids. Any suggestions?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 17,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York View Post
My husband and I just moved from a small town north of NYC to Bozeman last week. We visited the state last year, liked what we saw, and when my husband was able to transfer within his company, decided to give it a try. It's only been a week but I am surprised at how homesick I am for my little town. Are there any other NY'ers out there feeling the same way? Also, I've read the postings about the real estate. We're renting for now but had planned on buying a house. Now it looks as if it's going to have to be a condo and even those look very expensive. My husband took a cut in pay to move here and when I find a job I know I will as well. Any hope for affordable housing?
Maybe you should have thought about this before moving here. Does your husband work in Bozeman? Do you shop in Bozeman? Maybe you should live in Bozeman. If you can't afford it here, don't move here. Simple as that. I suggest you move to Billings.

"Not in Bozeman or the immediate area. You will have to go at least to Three Forks or even farther to Whitehall to find affordable housing. Prices in Bozeman, Big Sky, Livingston, Belgrade are all out of sight. Things get less expensive the farther you go from any of these towns and you get much more for your money, ie: land!"

Wow great advise. Now because she moved here and can't afford it, your telling her she should live way out of town. Please do that and add to the traffic, smog, and sprawl that is now filling Bozeman's surrounding areas. Listen, if you can't afford it here don't move here.

I haven't read so much bad advise in my life. This website is like the blind leading the blind. Transplants telling other transplants how it is here. Truly funny. Bozeman has turned into a town I no longer recognize because of people like this. The last ten years in Bozeman have been some of the worst. Looking at all the traffic, crappy unplanned sprawl, and strip malls make me want to puke my guts out. Most of you people have no idea what Bozeman used to be like and will never know. Please don't make it any worse!!!!!

-J

Old 02-02-2007, 11:38 AM

495 posts, read 492,725 times
Abroska wrote:

Quote:
I haven't read so much bad advise in my life. This website is like the blind leading the blind. Transplants telling other transplants how it is here. Truly funny. Bozeman has turned into a town I no longer recognize because of people like this. The last ten years in Bozeman have been some of the worst. Looking at all the traffic, crappy unplanned sprawl, and strip malls make me want to puke my guts out. Most of you people have no idea what Bozeman used to be like and will never know. Please don't make it any worse!!!!!
WOW someone echoing my sentiments.

Hey New Yawawk....welcome to Montana, good luck affording a place to live, but you can take some comfort in the fact that a lot of natives can't afford to live here either anymore.
And ain't it funny that you came from a small town in New York that was probably more quite, peacefull, and I'd bet certainly cheaper than one you moved to in Montana. It's a point I've been trying to make to people on this forum.
All that being said, I wish you well in your adjustment.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:19 AM

90 posts, read 317,804 times
Good grief! Nice job "kicking a person when they're already down."

Why don't you offer some helpful advice -- or none at all? Geez!

New York - When I moved to the Rockies from Upstate NY, I was stunned at the low pay. The locals would say, "Yeah, but our Cost of Living is 20% less here." (It wasn't. They were just repeating a line they'd heard.)

Finally a CEO of a local company told me, "We know people will accept lower wages to live and work in the Rocky Mountain West." (At least he was honest....)

I recommend you and your husband sit down together and come up with a budget you can live on ... in Bozeman. (Make sure you studiously cut expenses.) Then stick to it.

(I nearly went bankrupt in my second year. I used my credit cards to supplement my income. Stupid!)

As for housing, "think small." Don't go for your "dream home" right away. (Of course this is all just my opinion....)

Good luck!

- KK

Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 PM

495 posts, read 492,725 times
How can you leave Montana with a millions bucks ? ...........................come here with two..............old montana joke, now how or why did they come up with such a joke. I can't tell you how many people I've seen leave this state broke, hanging on to the bitter end, pretty soon all those mountains just don't look so good anymore.
It seems like half the people (mostly transplants)that live here have a mysterious means of income (ie, trust fund, ex-CEO, etc), the kind that leave you asking yourself..."geez how did they buy that place"......than another 25 (mostly transplants) percent of the people just kind of hang on doing this job to that, maybe a bit of family money, an inheritance or something drippling in to perpetuate their meaker existence, these types usually eventualy meet their end becoming broker and broker over time.... And than the last 25 percent are, well regualr people, making a living and doing what normal people do. It is really a strange dynamic at work.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,279 times
Default Bozeman

Absaroka and JoeJoeMan, you certainly aren't helping the situation. There is no need to be rude and nasty to anyone.

I grew up in MT. I don't live there anymore (WY) but do hope to move back to the Great Falls area. We still have family in Missoula, Bozeman areas. People moving into MT do not realize the cost of living there, yes, they should do their homework before they move but many do not.

None of us who are native Montanans want MT to change - but the only thing certain in life is change. We all need to do our best to help those that move in. The reason they move to MT is for the way of life and the beauty. Soon many transplants want to change MT - is it any wonder when they are treated so poorly?

Anyway, enough rambling but enough is enough. We need to get back on track on this thread and try and help when someone asks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana