Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:30 PM

12 posts, read 53,055 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at moving. We are not in a big hurry, but have talked a lot about it. I am from Southern Oregon, Medford area, and he is from Northern California. The real Nor Cal. Some people think Sacramento is northern california, but I'm talking about a town with 500 or less and about 3 hours from Medford. Anyways, we have lived in his hometown of Adin for the last 5 years before moving to Medford last year to look for more opportunities. Unfortunatley, Medford has been hit just like many others by the bad economy. So we are trying to find somewhere were we can raise two young kids (5 & 2) safely, but still make a decent living. My husband as been a firefighter with CAL-Fire for 6 years and I've worked as an EMT. We have been looking online at a few places but dont have our hearts set on anything yet. We want to stay on the west coast. We were looking at Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Any ideas as to good places to raise a family? We are used to rural living so that is not an issue for us. But we would also like to be somewhat close to shopping and other stuff. Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Here are a few targeted job links that might be of some use, if you haven't already seen them:

emsfirerescuejobs.com | Firefighter Jobs, EMS Jobs, Paramedic Jobs, EMT Jobs, Rescue Jobs, Haz Mat Jobs
Interagency Hotshot Crew Index

For bigger job markets you might look at Helena & Missoula MT and Boise, Pocatello, Coeur d'Alene and maybe Twin Falls or Lewiston ID. You could live a bit outside them.

There would be lots of small and medium sized towns, though finding a job or especially 2 jobs at about the same time would be tougher. Spots like Sheridan and Lander WY, Livingston and Darby MT, etc.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-23-2011 at 11:31 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 53,055 times
Thank you for the information NW Crow.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:13 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,709 times
Here is the web site for the job services offices in all of Montana, to give you an idea of what is available. Recently a new Kohl's store in Bozeman advertised for job applicants. To give you an idea of the competition for jobs right now, they had over 700 applicants for only a hundred-something part time jobs.
http://jobs.mt.gov

Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 PM

23 posts, read 77,291 times
I think both culturally and scenery wise, you would be quite happy in western Montana. Since you did mention close proximity of shopping etc, I would say Missoula MT or one of the nearby towns (look at Hamilton esp.) would be a great pick. You have the amenities most people expect, but you're still extremely close to great camping, hiking and fishing. Kalispell may come up in your search, and I wouldn't recommend it due to high unemployment and higher costs of living. Otherwise, it's a great city as well!
Northern Idaho around what they call "the Panhandle," near Couer d' Alene or Sandpoint, may also appeal to you. Couer d' Alene is a beautiful town next to a giant lake, wonderful fishing/recreation, etc., and it's also around 40 miles away from Spokane WA, where you could meet shopping and mid-sized city needs. It's a pretty cool area.
I'm not sure what your situation is in regards to jobs, but I do know western MT is hurting in the unemployment category. I think Missoula may be around 7%, but definitely check the stats. I know ID is worse in unemployment, and WY is probably lower than both.
Anyway, good luck in your search! All three states are awesome in their own ways, but I definitely recommend Western MT/Northern ID!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Also, I should mention that the Missoula Smokejumpers is a large forest fire fighting organization based there. They employ about 80 firefighters in Missoula and several in other cities. Your husband might find them interesting,[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-24-2011 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Sorry, new users cannot recommend links.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Wyoming does not have a state income tax. That is something I really appreciated when I moved here from Montana. Montana doesn't have a sales tax so it might be nice to live near Montana and make major purchases there. Keep in mind that Montana has some of the lowest wages in the nation across the board.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 AM

Yeah, as much as I boost MT, I will concur with WyoEagle. Montana is consistently ranked for having terribly low wages. Keep that in mind.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM

213 posts, read 697,017 times
Paid firefighters in Montana can earn decent money, but keep in mind that most of the smaller rural fire departments are primarily volunteer, so you would have to be in or near one of the larger cities (where the cost of living is quit a bit higher) to find the good, full-time, paying jobs. And the competition can be pretty fierce.

EMT jobs are easier to get, but don't pay very well.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 28,829 times
Wyoming has a lower unemployment rate and more jobs and pays better, especially in the Energy sector. Montana has more jobs in Billings area than in the western part of the state; again, that may be because the Energy sector for Montana is mostly from Billings east. However, Western Montana is going to be more like Western Oregon climate wise, while east of the divide is going to be more like Bend and the east side of the Cascades. Wyoming, except for the expensive areas on the west side, is going to be more like eastern Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana