Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 PM

29 posts, read 163,216 times

Advertisements

Hello to all! My husband is a CNC Machinist and we are intrested at some point in moving to either Montana, Wyoming (or possibly Nevada). I am a native Oregonian and would like my husband to enjoy where we live He really doesn't care for Oregon. Mainly becuase we live in a larger city than he likes (Medford), he likes wide open spaces and we both don't like how liberal Oregon is becoming.
Our main concern is of course jobs. The cold weather and small town living is perfect for my husband who grew up that way. Ideally we would like a smaller town, but understand we are limited when looking for employment in just the machining trade.
I thought this might be a great place to start my research - after reading several posts, all are very friendly and informative. Any info on the job market in trades would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 08:40 AM

462 posts, read 1,707,730 times
Not knowing what a CNC machinist even was, I did a simple Google search and came up with several job listings in Montana from Missoula to Kalispell, Helena and one in Bozeman, so I guess they are all around. Here is one you can follow: (Bozeman)
Job Description
"Machinist CNC. Wage DOE. Aerospace parts, familiar with programing and inspection methods. 406-543-4450 for interview or www.cmman.com"
Just take a look at this link, there are several jobs listed around Montana. http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Machini...ntana&start=10

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2006, 10:22 PM

29 posts, read 163,216 times
Thank you ladyflyfsh for your help! I took a look at your link and it was great to see some jobs in Montana for Machinists - I appreciate your time.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 20,583 times
I was previously an employment placement counselor,and it was my experience that there weren't enough CNC machinists to fill all of the jobs. However, they might only start out paying $10-$12 even if you have experience. Summit Aeronautics in Helena is a very advanced shop. I've received calls within the last year from employers in Gallatin Gateway (by Bozeman) and the Bitterroot Valley (south of Missoula). There's also Semitool, which is a big shop, in NW Montana up by Kalispell.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 11,542 times
Hey Oregonready4change,

In your post you mentioned that you were looking to possibly relocate to Nevada. I Live in Winnemucca, NV and I think this might be the place for you. I grew up in Roseburg Or (I actually lived in Talent as a small child). The weather here is mild year around (winter 30's summers low 90's), not much snow (a couple of inches a couple of times in the winter), 2 hrs to Reno (rat race town, but nice to shop, visit, etc), major road system (I-80 east and west, Hwy 95 North to Boise and Medford (hwy 140)), Premium hunting (deer, antelope, Chukar, quail) premium fishing (trout, bass)...I can't say enough good about "Winnieland" (God's favorite place in the universe)

About being a CNC Machinist, I'm not sure exactly what that is but we are a gold mining community and the jobs are abundant and they pay excellent...No experience $22 per hr, a machinist (my guess) $30+ per hr and the benefits are out of this world, health, dental, vision, 401K, profit share, vacation. It's not uncommon for someone without a college degree to make $60K a year. And by the way, no state income tax. Sales tax 6.5% on non-food items.

Housing is still affordable Starter homes $120K, nice homes with some acrage $175K.

We have a Super Wal-Mart (it's currently being built, we have a Wal-Mart but it's being rebuilt to a Super Wal-Mart), there is a new Cargo type Trailor manufacturing plant being built, great jobs, great pay, to open in the spring 2007 (Website http://carry-ontrailer.com/location.html)

Anyway, check things out, if you have more questions please post another message with your email and I will contact you via email..........

thanks and good luck

Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 11,542 times
I forgot to mention,

Northern Nevada is NOT a tree hugging area. For one reason there are no trees...LOL, but more importantly, we are basically a conservative, Republican community. There are many ranches and wide open spaces. You can actually have an intelligent conversation about being pro-American, pro-Bush and not ashamed about it...hmm, go figure that! You can actually own a gun and people don't think you are a bad person and that "guns kill people". It's a very friendly and safe community. Good schools, good churches, very helpful and freindly people. It's like what Oregon used to be, it's like what America used to be.....

Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,685 times
hi lady fly fish

sounds like you know quit a bit about Montana.
My husband and I have been planning to move to Montana.
Had the opportunity to drive through the state 3 years ago - Of couse i told everyone i meet to never leave the beautiful state.

He is an electrician, also a certified welder and elevator man.
i am in the medical data
any ideas in the north central area - north of helena

we have lived all over Mass, New York, NJ and CAand FL
so the weather is as noted colder
any help would be appreciated

thanks so much
mavrina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana