Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM

12 posts, read 46,596 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing that keeping Australian Shepherds in the garage or a partially heated kennel probably wouldn't be a terrible thing? They have fairly thick coats and settled in the west as herding dogs, so I can't see that they'd do terribly in these sorts of conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 05:51 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Our border collies are both slick & rough coated and have access to an unheated outbuilding where their dogbeds are. It has a cement floor so the beds are on pieces of cardboard. They also have old gym mats that some prefer to sleep on. These dogs are in excellent physical condition and have free choice Dogfood & a heated waterer. They are ranch dogs and prefer outdoors. They are fully adapted to our climate. When it was -32 one morning this week they were playing in the snow when I went out to do chores. The great pyrenees prefer winter and love to roll on icebergs.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I would caution the use of a sweater. I use one on my dog when I plow snow and it is 10° or less. She rides on the back of my 4 wheeler, so she's not running or active, just sitting there.

In the past, I have used her sweater too long and she actually started shedding hair in January. Then it is a tail spin because she has to wear her coat. So, if she is not riding, she does not wear her coat and she is fine.

Use of a sweater is fine, just use caution so they are not dependent of a coat. Dogs adapt just fine.
I wondered about that. My dog tends to keep shedding even into the fall because she stays buried under a blanket next to our wood stove most of the day. Thank you for your reply.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Dogs are basically thermos bottles. The lose practically no heat through their fur. They control temperature by aspiration. In general they will adopt to any temperature pretty quickly. With good food and lots of water they can handle almost anything.

Here in Las Vegas we get the other question. Is my long haired hound going to have heat prostration in the summer. Same answer. They are pretty much thermos bottles and can control their temperature by aspiration.

I am quite skeptical about sweaters and such. I don't think they can even tell they have them on. They simply don't transmit heat through their skin.

Even paws are pretty much temperature proof unless they are being worked hard or wet. Our small dog prances on hot pavement in the height of summer and will lay down on sun soaked bricks. No effect.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Interesting side note, our dog, Sam, Bassett mix, had a downy undercoat when we lived in Montana. When we moved to Las Vegas, it was like we got a new dog! He became a smooth coat Bassett, with no downy undercoat! He just had some tufts on his rear legs. It was really interesting how his fur completely changed.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 PM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,088 times
I don't think that's a ridiculous question. I moved from the US to northern Canada for work. I was very worried about my dog the first winter but she was doing just fine. Last weekend it was -40F. I took about a 15 minute walk twice a day and my dog was super happy running around, me not so much!

Especially when you are there in summer/fall your dog will get used to the temperatures and adjust accordingly.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRock View Post
I don't think that's a ridiculous question. I moved from the US to northern Canada for work. I was very worried about my dog the first winter but she was doing just fine. Last weekend it was -40F. I took about a 15 minute walk twice a day and my dog was super happy running around, me not so much!

Especially when you are there in summer/fall your dog will get used to the temperatures and adjust accordingly.
-40F! Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana