Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:34 PM

17 posts, read 23,079 times

Advertisements

O.K., here it goes... I am pushing 60, sgl female. Still need to work a full time job. HS grad, some votech continuing ed. Love the outdoors, but still want creature comforts. Nature lover at heart, not into hunters. Have lived in extreme cold and currently in extreme heat & humidity. Miss the mtns and love the ocean too. I'm searching more for a lifestyle choices, but it wouldn't hurt to have convenient shopping and a way to meet new people in things like hiking groups,etc. Whattaya think my chances are being happy to retire in Helena???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 02:09 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesgirl View Post
O.K., here it goes... I am pushing 60, sgl female. Still need to work a full time job. HS grad, some votech continuing ed. Love the outdoors, but still want creature comforts. Nature lover at heart, not into hunters. Have lived in extreme cold and currently in extreme heat & humidity. Miss the mtns and love the ocean too. I'm searching more for a lifestyle choices, but it wouldn't hurt to have convenient shopping and a way to meet new people in things like hiking groups,etc. Whattaya think my chances are being happy to retire in Helena???
You would probably do okay in Helena. I'm not sure of the cost of living of Helena specifically, but I always warn people that the wages in Montana are some of the lowest in the nation.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:23 PM

325 posts, read 576,691 times
You'll be fine. Go there and visit. The city is pretty friendly and the scenery is great.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,086 times
Slim......... You should visit and maybe spend a winter there before you buy any property..
just sayin???

Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesgirl View Post
IMHO, your better choice would be Missoula.....

Odds: Helena, I'd say your chance of being successful and happy in your move----50%
Missoula:....60%.
Billings:.....65%.

From your brief bio, I'd plan on having to accept a job that pays minimum wage

Where ever you end up, Keep your mouth shut regarding your feelings as related to hunters and the sport of Hunting.

Also where ever you THINK you might want to live in Montana.......it would be absolutely mandatory for you to visit at least a week in the summer (preferably during forest fire season), and definitely for a week in late February........other wise, your odds will drop down to about 20%..........JUST MY OPINION AFTER LIVING HERE FOR 35 YEARS.

Best of luck to you.......the above opinions are what I would consider factual and hopefully helpful.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,527,148 times
For the outdoorsy lifestyle you seek, I think you would find more what you seek in Bozeman or Missoula, or even Hamilton or Dillon.
Do secure employment before you move. As previous poster said without a college education or trade you may be limited to minimum wage jobs. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:58 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Helena is a nice town, I'm sure you could find happiness here, but jobs are pretty tough to come by unless you are okay with low wage stuff. It would be very hard to survive if you are dependent on an income to head into retirement.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you and only you know your asset strength heading into retirement. There may be greener pastures. You only have to look at COL trends in Helena (or Montana for that matter) to see what you are faced with.

Most folks above 45 are already settled and are married, and the median age here is pretty high compared to say Bozeman or Missoula. There aren't a whole lot of single 60- somethings. I think the older set that I do see are active, but I don't know if it is a fertile ground for single 60-somethings- and I don't mean to assume anything, because I am not.

Very tough questions from you, and I don't know best to respond. Maybe some more details?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
For the outdoorsy lifestyle you seek, I think you would find more what you seek in Bozeman or Missoula, or even Hamilton or Dillon.
Obviously you've never been to Helena - McDonald Pass area or Canyon Ferry Lake. Hamilton and Dillon have no jobs and higher gas prices.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You would probably do okay in Helena. I'm not sure of the cost of living of Helena specifically, but I always warn people that the wages in Montana are some of the lowest in the nation.
Nope that would New Mexico - also one of the poorest

Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,688 times
I agree to check Missoula, Bozeman or elsewhere; for being a capital city Helena seems a bit lacking to me in stores and other amenities.

Billings? meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana